Clear All

• Is Canelo Greater than Chavez ? If he never fights Benavidez

Is Canelo greater than Chavez
    Yes
    11.76%
    No
    88.24%

The poll is expired.

I don’t believe Canelo will ever be considered greater than Chavez or Salvador Sanchez.

Partly because of the era Canelo is in. Partly because they both had legendary performances (Taylor and Gomez) that Canelo imo will never have.

I am not Mexican but I would be interested to see if Mexicans have him ahead of Olivares and Zarate as well.

Comment

Let me put it like this. At 33 canelo is looking to fight welterweights,jr middleweights,and middleweights at 168. People who are either undersized,inactive,or very much outmatched in skill and power. At 34 and 36 chavez had the balls to fight a young and fresh Oscar,and at 38 he fought Kostya Tszyu,which was the ggg of back in the day. Say what you want about his record,but chavez 100% embodied the Mexican spirit of fighting. The same can't be said for canelo,who doesn't seem to want a fight in which he doesn't already have pre filled out scorecards,or multiple advantages going in.

Comment

The Mexicans should disown Canelo if he doesn't fight Benavidez and I seriously mean that
        MikeyMike100 MikeyMike100 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          I don’t believe Canelo will ever be considered greater than Chavez or Salvador Sanchez.

Partly because of the era Canelo is in. Partly because they both had legendary performances (Taylor and Gomez) that Canelo imo will never have.

I am not Mexican but I would be interested to see if Mexicans have him ahead of Olivares and Zarate as well.
          Can't see how he's not miles ahead of Sanchez.

Chavez, I don't know that's debatable.

Realistcially, Canelo is at least arguably #1, I can't see an argument for otherwise.

Comment

Chavez, Sanchez, Barrera, Morales, Marquez, and Lopez are all ahead of Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Realistcially, Canelo is at least arguably #1, I can't see an argument for otherwise.
              Sanchez wins over Gomez and Nelson is better than anything canelo has done.

Comment

Because the short span of Sanchez’ career has Gomez and Nelson on it.

Does Canelo’s volume surpass that quality? Imo no but if you think so ok.

In my experience discussing this with Mexican boxing fans, I don’t hear from them that Canelo is ahead of either or the other guys I mentioned.

Obviously my sample is small. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Get em up View Post
                  The Mexicans should disown Canelo if he doesn't fight Benavidez and I seriously mean that
                  Lol what are they gonna do? Revoke his citizenship.
                  Get em up Get em up likes this.

Comment

Check their resumes, especially Sanchez who at 23 has already beaten two HOF in their primes without controversy. The canelo resume is full of old men and undersized journeymen, with sprinkles of domestic British level fighters and bad decision in his favor.
                    Last edited by garfios; 02-28-2024, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X