Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum on PBC-Amazon Deal: If Haymon Disproportionally Does PPVs, That's A Disaster For The Sport

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Arum on PBC-Amazon Deal: If Haymon Disproportionally Does PPVs, That's A Disaster For The Sport

Al Haymon introduced a powerful new player in boxing when Premier Boxing Champions announced a multiyear deal with Amazon in December. PBC's deal to stream its shows on Amazon Prime arrived on the heels of Showtime's exit from the sport. The first PBC on Amazon show is anticipated for March, and some of the fights are already taking shape.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Every promoter cries about their rival promoters PPV’s but then puts on equally unjustifiable PPV’s themselves.

Arum tbf hasn’t put anything too egregious on PPV recently, I suppose Haney-Loma was borderline.

Comment

100% agree.

Haymon can't compete with the other promoters working together, and especially now with the Saudis involved. Casual fans aren't going to buy two PPVs a month, and especially not the one where the best don't fight the best or the fighters are inactive.

Literally just made a point on this on another post.

Originally posted by boxing IQ View Post
      ​​​​​​Haymon is using the UFC model that if enough people tune into the prelims, they'll be swayed to continue watching and buy the PPV.

Amazon is going to make sure it's the first thing their 200 million subscribers see when they turn on their televisions on fight night. Not the worst idea.

My only thing is they should've let the audience build a relationship with the fighters and sport first before diving right in and asking them to pay for it.

Comment

PBC in general is horrible for boxing, all they do is make in house fights OCCASIONALLY with their ****ty roster and stall the rest of the division.

I don't know what sway Al Haymon has over half these guys.

I see this being amazons biggest disaster and they made the rings of power for God's sake.

Comment

None of these promoters care about "the sport", they just pretend they do for the optics.

Was Arum caring for "the sport" when he was openly blocking Beterbiev - Bivol, largely because he didn't want to deal with Hearn?

That's just the latest example of course.
          Sayithowitisuk Bob MulaKO MulaKO like this.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
            Every promoter cries about their rival promoters PPV’s but then puts on equally unjustifiable PPV’s themselves.

Arum tbf hasn’t put anything too egregious on PPV recently, I suppose Haney-Loma was borderline.
            Arum’s last two PPV’s did around 100k each, I think he’s just mad lol.
            Sayithowitisuk Bob likes this.

Comment

The issue isn't necessarily a matter of disproportionately doing PPV on its own...but doing expensive yet mediocre quality PPV cards. I mean, there has been a lot of threads floating around but if I caught it all, this "PBC grand opening"-ish welcome to Amazon PPV is going to feature the following:
              Tank Davis vs Frank Martin
              Rolly Romero vs Isaac Cruz
              Tim Tszyu vs Keith Thurman
              Erislandy Lara vs Michael Zerafa

That is a definition of mediocre if you ask me...sure, on paper it is "quadruple world champion fights" and I will watch it if it was free for anyone with Amazon Prime account, but PPV that will probably cost more than the yearly membership fee of Prime Video for one card? Nah, I will pass...

Comment

Isn’t aim like 1000 years old

Comment

Originally posted by boxing IQ View Post
                  100% agree.

Haymon can't compete with the other promoters working together, and especially now with the Saudis involved. Casual fans aren't going to buy two PPVs a month, and especially not the one where the best don't fight the best or the fighters are inactive.

Literally just made a point on this on another post.

Makes zero sense. Haymon put on the best fights last year by a country mile. Saudi Arabia reached out to Al to make some fights happen already.. the money is too good, so it’ll happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Atypicalbrit View Post
                    PBC in general is horrible for boxing, all they do is make in house fights OCCASIONALLY with their ****ty roster and stall the rest of the division.

I don't know what sway Al Haymon has over half these guys.

I see this being amazons biggest disaster and they made the rings of power for God's sake.
                    Haymon was part of the best fights in boxing last year. Sounds like you’re better off taking up your issue with Top Rank, Golden Boy and Matchroom that put on constant mess. I doubt Amazon would give Haymon over a billion dollar deal and not weight up the negatives, BUT CLEARLY arm chair casuals in boxing forums understand this financial risk better and it’s a sure-fire bet to fail LOL.

Haymon even turned down a 1.3 billion deal for DAZN, yikes.

Comment

Working...
                    X