Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chris Algieri: "No One Beats A Prime Roy Jones Jr, Beterbiev Included"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've never seen RJJ fight in his prime, jump on YT. You will never see anything like him again.
    pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

Fastest hands is relative to the speed of the opponent, I think there have been a lot of lower weight guys with faster hands thats just physics. The only real difference between Roy and other greats like Floyd and Pernel is power, I think both Floyd and Sweetpea were faster with better defense they just didn't have the power Roy had.

I don't know if I agree with Algeri here but I wouldn't argue the point Roy was special.

Sorry Oregonian I was meant to answer Archie, just a senior moment lol.
      ———
      No worries.
      Floyd and Sweet Pea may have been faster but I think what separated Roy from them or anyone was power, as you pointed out and the rapid fire multiple punches from literally every angle imaginable.
      I have never seen a light heavyweight EVER, throw rapid fire punches like Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post

I can’t believe what I am seeing here, someone posting who actually knows boxing before 2010…well I’ll be. Well said by the way. I’d also throw in Billy Conn, light heavyweight Gene Tunney, Sam Langford, and Archie Moore as well. What I will say is jones to me was actually the best super middleweight in history. Middleweight and super middleweight he was a wrecking ball and absolitely flawless. Great light heavyweight but at that point he was beating on naturally bigger guys. Great light heavyweight ans yes he would have beaten any light heavyweight today but would have stopped all the middleweights and super middleweights around these days including Canelo
        Thank you. Likewise, your response re the fighters you mentioned, clearly you know your boxing. Bill Conn, of yes! There's a fighter that might have zoomed many celebrated light heavies from the celebrated golden age of the 70's on up. I too have RJJ as the best super middleweight as well. The Jones that faced Calzaghe had comes down literally about 9 levels from his 94-97 zenith. Spinks carried true one-punch KO power in either hand, to say nothing of the great left jab, length, unusal timing and rthym that would make the best bluseman blush. Foster? Log, hard, schooled and confident. He didn't reign for years due to luck. Charles? Say no more!
        Oldskoolg Oldskoolg likes this.

Comment

Algieri is right

Roy Jones Jr from the 2nd Montel Griffin fight is the most terrifying boxer ever

That version or Roy is unbeatable in that weight class, and would beat the **** outta Beterbiev or anyone else

pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X