Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Robbery, Schmobbery: Competitive Fight Doesn't Mean Tyson Fury Lost

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post

He'll be partially redeemed with a convincing win over Usyk, but he will still have unfinished business with Ngannou. Fury, as absurd as it is, was being pronounced by some fans as the HW GOAT. The HW GOAT cannot retire with an unresolved controversial win over a rank amateur. In all likelihood Fury will completely avoid the Usyk fight next. His panic attacks about losing even more status in the sport will be too much for him. He will retire 'undefeated' for 3 more years then return triumphantly to TKO Derek Chisora for a 4th time and his adoring fans will declare him the greatest again.
    I think most sensible boxing fans knows that Fury lacks the resume to be a HW GOAT.

Remember Fury arguably lost to McDermott and Wallin, but nobody really cares.

Fury can't avoid the Usyk fight, contracts have been signed.

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post

I think most sensible boxing fans knows that Fury lacks the resume to be a HW GOAT.

Remember Fury arguably lost to McDermott and Wallin, but nobody really cares.

Fury can't avoid the Usyk fight, contracts have been signed.
      There are always ways out. Fury merely has to feign an incapacity (physical, mental illness, depression) and he could get it pushed back to whenever he wants, which could turn into never. Fury puts on a cool demeanor for the fans in interviews, but I believe his fragile ego has been seriously wounded and his confidence is shaken. He does not want to see Usyk grinning back at him right now and he will do whatever is necessary to delay this fight for as long as possible.
      Last edited by TheOneAboveAll; 10-31-2023, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post

There are always ways out. Fury merely has to feign an incapacity (physical, mental illness, depression) and he could get it pushed back to whenever he wants, which could turn it to never. Fury puts on a cool demeanor, but I believe his fragile ego has been seriously wounded and his confidence is shaken. He does not want to see Usyk grinning back at him right now.
        Yeah that's a credible take.

I guess we'll find out what Fury is really made of, but personally, I think he'll want to redeem himself against Usyk

Comment

Originally posted by Boro View Post
          Whilst I agree with the premise of Fury not losing the reality that he was abysmal, he's touted not that I personally agree as a generational talent.

And what we found to be true, harkening back to what Cunningham said is he wins because he's big when he can't lean, impose his size and force you to have to have to carry his weight, he's basically out of ideas.

Generational talents/alleged “ATGs” shouldn't be found wanting when plan A doesn't work.

So I stand what I said multiple years ago, Fury manages his career in a similar manner to Mayweather, he picks and chooses who he fights based on what he deems an appropriate risk or when the risky opponent is deemed sufficiently softened up. ​​
          I think Mayweathers resume is incredible despite not necessarily being my favourite fighter. Consider:

- He started his career as Super featherweight at only 18 years of age. He was fighting WELL above his natural weight (upto light middleweight) for his later career as his frame was very different to Canelo, Haney etc who could easily 'fill out' to much higher weight classes. He fought competitively upto his early forties. So no-one can deny Mayweather challenged himself like few others of his era.
          - He fought Mosley, Judah, Cotto, Gatti, Maidana, Guerrero, Castillo, Corrales, Alvarez (who was 25 and hungry when Mayweather was almost 37 - HUGE risk), De La Hoya. Whatever one could argue about the timing of his fights, we can't argue ALL of those were shot (and I realise some questionable decisions but he still took risks ;-). Point is he fought the Who's who of his era at least at some point. Fury hasn't fought 60% of the names of his era at ANY point.
          - Mayweather career has to be divided into two parts, much more cherry picking was happening at a time when he could arguably have been retired and had a serious hand injury plus admittedly became way more greedy on the money front. Most fighters are long retired by that time so it's hard to fault him too much.
          - Regarding Pacquaio - whilst at the time I never supported Mayweather on his claim re drug cheating, I started feeling there is more and more credibility to it. I would go so far as to say in case of Fury is HIGHLY suspect as a drug cheat based on lots of factors.

Point being Fury's resume isn't really that great the minute you remove Wlad and Wilder. There were plenty of fights he should have fought for various reasons. Also I feel people give him way too much credit for his 'mental health crisis'. Ultimately people in other era's had it far far worse (e.g. Ali, Johnson, etc) and fought through real adversity for a fraction of the money. I think Fury is VERY good but just shouldn't be put in any ATG ranking of any weight class.
          Last edited by hennanra1000; 10-31-2023, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hennanra1000 View Post

I think Mayweathers resume is incredible despite not necessarily being my favourite fighter. Consider:

- He started his career as Super featherweight at only 18 years of age. He was fighting WELL above his natural weight (upto light middleweight) for his later career as his frame was very different to Canelo, Haney etc who could easily 'fill out' to much higher weight classes. He fought competitively upto his early forties. So no-one can deny Mayweather challenged himself like few others of his era.
            - He fought Mosley, Judah, Cotto, Gatti, Maidana, Guerrero, Castillo, Corrales, Alvarez (who was 25 and hungry when Mayweather was almost 37 - HUGE risk), De La Hoya. Whatever one could argue about the timing of his fights, we can't argue ALL of those were shot (and I realise some questionable decisions but he still took risks ;-). Point is he fought the Who's who of his era at least at some point. Fury hasn't fought 60% of the names of his era at ANY point.
            - Mayweather career has to be divided into two parts, much more cherry picking was happening at a time when he could arguably have been retired and had a serious hand injury plus admittedly became way more greedy on the money front. Most fighters are long retired by that time so it's hard to fault him too much.
            - Regarding Pacquaio - whilst at the time I never supported Mayweather on his claim re drug cheating, I started feeling there is more and more credibility to it. I would go so far as to say in case of Fury is HIGHLY suspect as a drug cheat based on lots of factors.

Point being Fury's resume isn't really that great the minute you remove Wlad and Wilder. There were plenty of fights he should have fought for various reasons. Also I feel people give him way too much credit for his 'mental health crisis'. Ultimately people in other era's had it far far worse (e.g. Ali, Johnson, etc) and fought through real adversity for a fraction of the money. I think Fury is VERY good but just shouldn't be put in any ATG ranking of any weight class.

Kr,
            Raheel
            I'm not talking about his opponents, I'm talking about his propensity to manage a career in such a manner that the fighters he fights are at an appropriate time.

In so far as it is now deemed worth the risk e.g. coming off a bad performance, years after people called for the fight, avoiding fights people wanted, questionable wins and so on and so forth.

As for mayweather's "division" of his career you could argue it started as soon as he got put over as a PPV star by beating De La Hoya.

Fury had fought the relevant fights to position himself to fight Wlad the only real fight you could argue he avoided before Wlad was David price.

And as soon as his meteoric rise happened due to the knockdown and subsequent raise from it.

His proverbial lazarus moment he took full advantage of his A-side status to the detriment of the sport, just like Mayweather,Canelo etc etc

Plenty of people give him credit for the mental health shít, I personally don't his "mental issues" coincidently become manageable as soon as his backdated ban from the hammer fight lifted if anyone lends credence to his bullshít story relating to that, more fool them.

But let's be honest, here claiming mental health and shedding fat is a relatable thing for a lot of people even the drugs and alcohol sob story, literally everyone knows someone who has dealt with the aforementioned issues.

As for his resume we could argue no one in the division has a good resume, they might have some top 10-15 opponents on said resume or “champions” who never defend their belts but if we’re being objective this era is a weak arguably just as weak as Wlads.

In fact people from Wlads era manage to hover around for years in the top 10 after Wlads retirement that tells you the quality of the division quite frankly.

hennanra1000 hennanra1000 likes this.

Comment

A lot of it depends on how Ngannou performs in his next fight, if he easily win against someone in the top 10 ,Fury will be somewhat forgiven, if he doesn't,then Fury will have to live with the shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray Kelm View Post
                A lot of it depends on how Ngannou performs in his next fight, if he easily win against someone in the top 10 ,Fury will be somewhat forgiven, if he doesn't,then Fury will have to live with the shame.
                This is why I'm thinking that one of the top 5 or 6 should take Ngannou on quickly.

If, as I expect, they would beat Ngannou comfortably then that would confirm to many that Fury isn't what he was being advertised as. And that brings the next pack back into contention.

If I were Hearn, I'd be pushing it hard. Pay the man what it takes. Do it on December 23rd to really ram the point home. It's not like Ngannou just had a fight that would prevent him fighting again quickly.

Comment

Fair. Did you post a similar article after Haney whooped Lomanchenko and all his lovers cried robbery?

Comment

Although I believe Fury is on a downward spiral, I agree with the score cards. Ngannou stood strong in front of Fury’s 1-2s and clinches but didn’t land enough on a round to round basis to win a majority of rounds. His strong chin and the fact that his few rounds were clear rounds was enough to fool the casuals in the room I was watching from.
                    bimhead bimhead likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X