Where have all the Bawlls Gone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crimsonfalcon07
    replied
    Another thought. I'd be curious how much you think the shift to modern training methods and expectations regarding quantity of fights has affected activity overall. The old greats used to have 40+ fights in a career easily. That's quite rare these days unless there's a lot of cans on the record.

Leave a comment:

• crimsonfalcon07
    replied
    Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
    Klitschko ties to two of the 6 other best, even in losing, albeit honorable efforts. The comparative activity level, the willingness to take a loss - Astounding shift.
    It really is. My opinion looking at the top guys is that a lot of it boils down to Fury. Basically all the champions lost months of time in negotiations with him while he played ****** games. Says a lot that he's got the least activity of any of them, from fights with champions to fights at all. He's been involved in literally years of wasted time in negotiations for fights that didn't happen. He's had to be forced into almost every one of his few title defenses as well. Zero defenses for his unified championship reign, Wilder had to go to court to get his contractual rematch, and Whyte had to go through how many purse bids? YMMV, but IMO the evidence is pretty clear. As soon as Fury entered the title picture, we saw a drastic drop in activity. AJ, Wilder, and Usyk all had some of their least active years coincide with negotiations with Fury, failed or otherwise.
    ​​​​​
    Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Leave a comment:

• Willow The Wisp
    replied
    Good thoughts.
    Klitschko is the central character from the previous era - his. His inclusion should not reflect poorly on him, obviously. In listing (what I feel is) a top 7, I might have instead used Parker, Joyce, Povetkin, Whyte, Zhang or any number, but even in the era distinctly outside of his own, Klitschko ties to two of the 6 other best, even in losing, albeit honorable efforts. The comparative activity level, the willingness to take a loss - Astounding shift.

Leave a comment:

• RJJ-94-02=GOAT
    replied
    The common denominator with the modern day HW’s and most modern fighters tbh is they all talk a hell of a lot more than they fight. They take the worst traits from the greats.

Ali ran his mouth but he also fought regularly and backed it up.

Ali fought exhibitions but he also defended his title regularly, I think the famous exhibition with Inoki occurred in 76, he defended the HW title 4 times that year including the trilogy with Norton.

Leave a comment:

• crimsonfalcon07
    replied
    Well, let's break it down by activity.

AJ - 5 fights from your list, plus another with Joseph Parker, and a total of 19 between 15-22. 7 vs world champs, 4 wins 3 losses.
    Usyk - 2 fights from your list, 5 since his debut in 2019. 15 between 15-22, with 3 against top cruiserweights in 2018 alone. 7 fights vs world champions in that time frame, all 7 wins.
    Wilder - 5 from your list, 14 between 15-22 5 fights vs world champions, 2 win 2 losses, 1 draw.
    Ruiz - 3 from your list between 19-22, 4 in that time frame, 8 since losing an MD to Parker, 13 between 15-22 3 fights vs world champions, 1 win 2 losses.
    Ortiz - 3 fights from list, 15 total between 15-22 4 fights vs world champions, 1 win 3 losses.
    Fury - 4 from your list, 10 between 15-22. 4 fights vs world champions, 3 wins 1 draw.

Klitschko on the tail end of his career so not sure why he's really included in this class.

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Willow The Wisp
    started a topic Where have all the Bawlls Gone?

Where have all the Bawlls Gone?

Where have all the Bawlls Gone in 50 years!?

The Class of 73'
    1. Muhammad Ali
    2. George Foreman
    3. Joe Frazier
    4. Ken Norton
    5. Jerry Quarry
    6. Ron Lyle
    7. Earnie Shavers

The Fights:

06-23-69. Frazier - Quarry I
    10-26-70. Ali - Quarry I
    03-08-71. Frazier - Ali I