Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: Wood Was Out On His Feet; One Shot Was All It Would Take To End His Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood was done he had nothing one more shot from Lara it could have been serious.

Props to Ben for doing it right.

Comment

I don't normally agree with Weasel Eddie on much of anything, but he's right in this case. Wood is brave, but at 34, isn't it better to live for another paycheck in the rematch? I hope Venado Lopez gets his hands on Lara soon. Lara flaps his gums too much.

Comment

One more shot could have put him into the hospital and instead of spending time with his family last night and tonight, walking, talking, he could have instead had them by his bedside in a hospital room crying over him in a bad condition! On top of that, it wouldn't have been fair to Lara who would have been very depressed and not been able to fully celebrate the win he worked hard for. Lives could have been altered in a split second for the worse.
        Last edited by richardt; 02-19-2023, 11:37 PM.
        pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by THC View Post
          Yes, I noticed that too. Was surprised the ref didn't admonish Lara for not waiting in the neutral corner. That said, Wood wasn't going to recover before the end of the round. He was primed for a brutal stopage.
          He should have gotten a few extra seconds while the ref directed Lara back to a neutral, maybe he would have, we’ll never know.

disagreed with the corner, maybe I’m right, maybe they were, once again we’ll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by THC View Post
            Yes, I noticed that too. Was surprised the ref didn't admonish Lara for not waiting in the neutral corner. That said, Wood wasn't going to recover before the end of the round. He was primed for a brutal stopage.
            Froch called him Sunday morning and Leigh said he couldn't have gone on, his legs had not recovered. A friend of mine saw him and sent me a photo from a restaurant just outside of the city where Woods and his family were having a carvery Sunday afternoon ...he lives to fight another day.

Comment

Mad disagree.. championship fight, less than 10 seconds to survive, healthy lead on cards, Wood has shown great heart in his last bouts, at least see if he can make it to his corner then assess him from there.. think some of you forget this is the sport of boxing. It wasn't a sustained beating where the ref wasn't doing his job..wouldn't mind seeing the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
                I don’t care for Ben Davidson, that said he made a good choice at the moment. Shocked when I saw Lara galloping forward, Wood could have been hurt, well beyond just a KO.:boxing:
                Nobody likes to see anyone hurt but everyone involved in boxing including us fans know there is are risks. The reality is exceptionally few boxer's in Wood's position suffer a career ending blow to the head. 99.99% of the time we get a clean KO or the boxer goes down again or on a knee, or the fighter survives somehow by hugging or the offensive ineptitude of the aggressor.
                I know people will question where I plucked the 99.99% figure from but that is actually an underestimate. Not having a dig at you NC but without looking it up can anyone name 20 or even 10 fighters who have been left brain damaged from one fight? And yet every weekend there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of sanctioned professional boxing matches around the world.
                pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Leigh would agree once he's seen the replay.

Comment

It's a tough one. As a viewer, I first thought that he should be allowed to continue a bit.

But his trainer Ben could see up close in a better way, and who knows, might've saved him from more severe damage to the brain. So I'm not going to complain. Wood was out on his feet, and Lara hits harder than Conlan.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post

Nobody likes to see anyone hurt but everyone involved in boxing including us fans know there is are risks. The reality is exceptionally few boxer's in Wood's position suffer a career ending blow to the head. 99.99% of the time we get a clean KO or the boxer goes down again or on a knee, or the fighter survives somehow by hugging or the offensive ineptitude of the aggressor.
                      I know people will question where I plucked the 99.99% figure from but that is actually an underestimate. Not having a dig at you NC but without looking it up can anyone name 20 or even 10 fighters who have been left brain damaged from one fight? And yet every weekend there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of sanctioned professional boxing matches around the world.
                      I agree in sort. Wood is 34 years old and has to drop a good deal of weight before he fights, that just equals less cerebral fluid to pad the brain. I see what your saying though.

Comment

Working...
                      X