Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennadiy Golovkin Rivalry Ends on a Quiet Note

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennadiy Golovkin Rivalry Ends on a Quiet Note

LAS VEGAS - And that is that. An embrace inside the ring between rivals Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin ended 36 rounds of a tumultuous rivalry.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He does have until later this week (September 23) to notify the WBA whether he will indeed defend his Super world title belt against Erislandy, the ‘Regular’ titleholder. Should Golovkin decide to vacate the WBA title, Lara would be elevated to ‘Super’ world titleholder.

I like it. Gennady might vacate the WBA tho, which makes me wonder how many ''world champions'' has the WBA manufactured this year? Janibek, I'm looking at you.

Comment

Seemed like Golovkin decided he won merely by achieving to get the third fight. Once the bell rung, didn't see the same man from the first two fights. At 40+ years of age, I understand that he was either unwilling or unable to do the things necessary to achieve victory over his rival.

Comment

The fight ended the way anybody with half a brain knew it wpuld. A prime Alvarez beat a 40 year old Golovkin.
        4 years after thier FOTY , Canelo finally decided it was the right time to fight.
        They both made lots of money and more power to them, but once again boxing fans were the losers.

Comment

A quiet note?

It was a farce, not even too well disguised.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
            The fight ended the way anybody with half a brain knew it wpuld. A prime Alvarez beat a 40 year old Golovkin.
            4 years after thier FOTY , Canelo finally decided it was the right time to fight.
            They both made lots of money and more power to them, but once again boxing fans were the losers.
            Very true! This fight either should have happened a couple of years ago or not at all. Waiting for GGG to turn 40 and show signs of decline is all part of the Canelo playbook. He thought Bivol would be the easier of the light heavy's. That one backfired but Canelo has made mega millions due to skills and shrewd match making. He won't be the first and he won't be the last. He is a first ballot hall of famer either way!
            ruedboy ruedboy likes this.

Comment

I agree. Both guys are future Hall of Famers, but in hindsight G hurt his legacy (but not his pocketbook) in chasing down the trilogy fight. It might have been better if he had forgot about Alvarez and tried to unify the MW division instead.

Comment

Can't see golovkin fighting Lara.
                ChamberOfTruth ChamberOfTruth likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
                  Seemed like Golovkin decided he won merely by achieving to get the third fight. Once the bell rung, didn't see the same man from the first two fights. At 40+ years of age, I understand that he was either unwilling or unable to do the things necessary to achieve victory over his rival.
                  Many people criticized GGG's performance against Murata 5 months ago, but he performed incredibly well in that fight compared to this weekend. Even acknowledging the difference in opposition, GGG's decline from one fight to the next (again over just 5 months) was shocking. I watched the fight and went through a range of emotions before it was done. I felt shocked, angry, sad and ultimately proud about GGG's performance and effort. He fought like a shell of his former self, but I do believe he gave it his very best with what he had left. He didn't win more than 3 rounds, but he lasted the distance with a Top 5 P4P guy in his prime (and never badly buzzed) when most other young champions would have gotten KO'd, so he can at least be respected for that. It's only that he set such a high standard in his career that people were so suprised and disappointed by the result. I hope GGG retires immediately (he won't) because he was too great a fighter to lose to average guys like Charlo, Eubank or Munguia.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post

Many people criticized GGG's performance against Murata 5 months ago, but he performed incredibly well in that fight compared to this weekend. Even acknowledging the difference in opposition, GGG's decline from one fight to the next (again over just 5 months) was shocking. I watched the fight and went through a range of emotions before it was done. I felt shocked, angry, sad and ultimately proud about GGG's performance and effort. He fought like a shell of his former self, but I do believe he gave it his very best with what he had left. He didn't win more than 3 rounds, but he lasted the distance with a Top 5 P4P guy in his prime (and never badly buzzed) when most other young champions would have gotten KO'd, so he can at least be respected for that. It's only that he set such a high standard in his career that people were so suprised and disappointed by the result. I hope GGG retires immediately (he won't) because he was too great a fighter to lose to average guys like Charlo, Eubank or Munguia.
                    Good post and I respect the assessment. I thought there were some signs of slippage in the Murata fight but Golovkin past his prime is still on another level compared to the Japanese fighter.

At this stage in the game, it's just too much to ask of a 40+ year old version of GGG to defeat Canelo. It's not how I thought it would go down; I expected both to be more aggressive and thought it woud be more savage in nature with Canelo possibly getting a stoppage. Both showed a little more hesitancy than I was anticipating.

Comment

Working...
                    X