Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Trainer Virgil Hunter on Buatsi: I Can't Honestly Say That He's Ready for Bivol or Canelo Right Now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Trainer Virgil Hunter on Buatsi: I Can't Honestly Say That He's Ready for Bivol or Canelo Right Now

Virgil Hunter issued a note of caution after his charge Joshua Buatsi picked up perhaps the most strenuous win of his career. The highly regarded, 29-year-old Buatsi outpointed British countryman Craig Richards, 32, in their hard-fought, 12-round light heavyweight bout Saturday night at the O2 Arena in London. All three judges had it for Buatsi, albeit by narrow margins: 116-112 and 115-113 twice.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Brutal honesty, but fair play. Takes some bravery to say that about your effective employer.

Thing is, if he ain’t ready at 29, he’s never gonna be ready. I was under the delusion that Buatsi was still 23-25, with the mind stuck in circa 2017. This is an indictment on his ability, because he doesn’t seem much better than when he emerged.

Between him and the top of the division is a gulf.
    Last edited by P to the J; 05-23-2022, 10:28 AM.
    BlakBread904 BlakBread904 likes this.

Comment

i think he'd beat canelo comfortably, maybe needs a couple more fights on fringe world level before fighting bivol/beterview i think hes better than he showed on saturday (although still won) and will have learnt a lot. i know people on here want to rush buatsi and see him lose cause they feel threatened by a confident black UK fighter but he can take another couple fights before fighting one of the top guys.

Comment

Buatsi loses bad to both Canelo and Bivol.

He's an OK fighter, but I doubt he'll go beyond the level of another Joshua. Joshua Clottey, I mean.
        Get em up Get em up likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
          i think he'd beat canelo comfortably, maybe needs a couple more fights on fringe world level before fighting bivol/beterview i think hes better than he showed on saturday (although still won) and will have learnt a lot. i know people on here want to rush buatsi and see him lose cause they feel threatened by a confident black UK fighter but he can take another couple fights before fighting one of the top guys.
          lol this guy gets brutally mauled by Bivol or Canelo.
          P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Vergil's a good dude and you can tell he looks out for his fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken- View Post

lol this guy gets brutally mauled by Bivol or Canelo.
              the guy buatsi just beat gave bivol a way harder fight than canelo did
              Castilo Castilo GlassJoey GlassJoey like this.

Comment

I think Buatsi is being rushed a little, by Hearn. And I think he probably feels pressure ( not by fans but by the success of others ) to get that world title. By that I mean, Buatsi is a 16 Olympian. And other 16 Olympians are starting to bear fruit. Okolie is a champion, and Cordina is just under 2 weeks away from his shot. Add in Joyce, who probably would have fought for a belt by now if they weren't all mostly bunched up, and Buatsi is probably putting pressure on himself to get a shot. He's 29 and can't mess around. But Buatsi should imo take another fight or 2 just to add another string or two to his bow. I agree with Hunter here, completely. I'd like to see Buatsi fight Callum Smith next, personally.
                Castilo Castilo likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post

the guy buatsi just beat gave bivol a way harder fight than canelo did
                  I hadn't looked at it your way, but you're right – Richards stops Canelo in the 3rd round.

Comment

Buatsi looked his best in the Olympics. He's been on the protection ever since, 29 and never faced a contender. Its too late to rush him, he missed the boat.

Comment

Working...
                    X