No announcement yet.

Heavy bench presing is no good for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
    Explosive weight training to train fast twitch muscle would actually benefit a boxer.

If he wants to fight in bursts maybe and spend the rest of the round trying to get his breath back

Comment

Bench pressing is a terrible exercise, period. Whether its for bodybuilding or boxing.
      Its nothing much more than an ego lift that puts immense strain on your rotor cuffs and front delts.

Comment

Bench pressing is pretty useless for combat sports. Especially considering how power comes from your legs and hips

Comment

Moderation and weights are good, its all about balancing a boxer, they need power, speed, and flexibility, too much in one way it takes away from the others.

Comment

Generally... weights should be part, but not a huge part of a boxer's training. It's about gaining muscle mass and a boxer would instead be better fighting at a more natural healthy weight for them.

But it's a hard call when it comes to a naturally skinny guy like Wilder. I'm guessing his natural weight would be around 200-210 pound, which is too small for the rest of the division. So he had to prioritise some weight gain. If he was 3 foot shorter it would be a no brainer - fight as a Cruiserweight. As a heavyweight he had to sacrifice some of his natural composition.
            GrandpaBernard GrandpaBernard likes this.

Comment

Bench Press and Curls are for LOOKS!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Agree or disagree?
                Not important but when supplemented with a copious amount of roids to put on more than 25lbs of lean muscle mass in your mid 30's its clearly effective as Wilder showed after the first Fury fight.

Comment

I agree. I am oldschool in my philosophy.

Comment

I've seen GGG pushing and pulling this rack of weights across the gym the way football players do. I think this would have greatly benefited Wilder's game against Fury's tactics of pushing and pulling in the clinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post

Not important but when supplemented with a copious amount of roids to put on more than 25lbs of lean muscle mass in your mid 30's its clearly effective as Wilder showed after the first Fury fight.
                      Aren't the Russians the biggest roid users, even getting their entire Olympic team banned?

Comment

Working...
                      X