Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy bench presing is no good for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen Usyk doing some Olympic Lifting. Wilder is too stupid to learn those lifts though, he's also surrounded by gym rats who wouldn't know the first thing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Aren't the Russians the biggest roid users, even getting their entire Olympic team banned?
      iirc Meldonium was banned 2 or 3 Olympics ago, and as a result a ton of Russian fighters got banned for Meldonium because its an easy over the counter drug in Russia. Meldonium is why Wilder vs Povetkin didn't happen.

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
      Generally... weights should be part, but not a huge part of a boxer's training. It's about gaining muscle mass and a boxer would instead be better fighting at a more natural healthy weight for them.

But it's a hard call when it comes to a naturally skinny guy like Wilder. I'm guessing his natural weight would be around 200-210 pound, which is too small for the rest of the division. So he had to prioritise some weight gain. If he was 3 foot shorter it would be a no brainer - fight as a Cruiserweight. As a heavyweight he had to sacrifice some of his natural composition.
      bruh 3 feet shorter and Wilder would legally be a midget

Can confirm on the bench press, the heavier I benched the more snap I lost in my left hand, and I gas out faster. More muscle requires more energy to use, especially with fast snappy punches.

Comment

Nash can bench 1.5x his body weight 3x 8 reps, but boxing is boxing, not weight lifting. Nash out.

Comment

For boxing, bench press sucks

But for MMA, I think guy's like Ngannou are heavy lifters

I wonder how much Joshua benches?

Comment

I've started training using mostly weights over the last couple of years. Obviously focusing on the bench press a lot. Other than an early period where my shoulder was a little iffy due to some poor form, I feel just as fluid now as I did when I was doing heavy bag boxing training 2-3 times per week.

There are probably better workouts to do but it doesn't really bother you boxing wise as long as you don't injure yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post

bruh 3 feet shorter and Wilder would legally be a midget
              Good point

3 inches. I meant inches.

Comment

Lifting weights for boxing - Stamina for the muscles, preventing injuries in tendons and muscles, more power and you feel stronger and more cushion to the muscle.

This has to come with not lifting to get very big like a body builder type and ending up getting stiff.

Comment

Working...
                X