Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mikey Garcia Says DAZN Didn't Have Budget To Stage Regis Prograis Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
    Because the WBC is f'ing up at light speed!
    I'm delighted the ABC he's rattled the WBA and they're cleaning up so far. Wish they'd rattle the WBC now also. Those franchise things need to go. At 135 we have the first disputed ,undisputed champ in history. Thanks WBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post

Reymart Gaballo and Mark Magsayo named mandatory challengers to Nonito Donaire and Gary Russell

In the featherweight division, the announcement of Magsayo's upcoming title shot was a mere formality as he was engaged in a WBC title eliminator in the undercard of Manny Pacquiao vs. Yordenis Ugas last August. There, he picked up the biggest win of his career with a come-from-behind knockout of Julio Ceja.

Magsayo's target is now Russell, who has been undefeated since dropping a majority decision loss to Vasyl Lomachenko in 2014. The American fighter won the WBC featherweight belt against Jhonny Gonzalez in 2015 and defended it successfully year-by-year from 2016-20.

Russell has not fought since February 2020 when he decisioned Tugstsogt Nyambayar of Mongolia and there have been rumors that he plans to move up in weight. Nonetheless, the Filipino is undeterred at getting his shot whoever the boxer standing opposite him will be.

"The plan is to fight Russell," shared Magsayo, who is training under the watchful eyes of Freddie Roach, with the assistance of Filipino trainer Marvin Somodio. "But if he moves up in weight, it's also okay for me to fight for a vacant title against anyone."

https://tv5.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...ne-title-shots
      I've been expecting it to be Vargas. And I'm not sure why he had been ditched, especially since he's Mexican. Maybe GRJ has expressed a disinterest in that fight and spoke to people. The Magsayo fight probably gives GRJ a bigger split, then do Vargas as a voluntary. Unless he climbs to fight Gervonta.

Comment

Working...
      X