Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tokyo Olympic Super Heavyweight Quarterfinals--Clarke Wins By DQ; Torrez, Jalolov, Kunkabayev Advance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tokyo Olympic Super Heavyweight Quarterfinals--Clarke Wins By DQ; Torrez, Jalolov, Kunkabayev Advance

Mourad Aliev expected to turn away the challenge of Great Britain's Frazer Clarke to advance to the medal round. Instead, the French super heavyweight wound up giving Michael Conlan a run for his money with the most dramatic in-ring protest over officiating in the Olympics. France's Aliev erupted in the moments before and immediately after his being disqualified from his Super Heavyweight quarterfinal bout with Clarke. A point deduction prompted Aliev to flip off referee Andrew Mustacchio and then spit out and kick his gumshield, resulting in a disqualification win for Clarke.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 08-01-2021, 05:47 AM.

That was terrible Aliev was doin great

Comment

I missed the fight and can't find a replay. Is anyone clear on what actually happened? This report isn't clear either.

Was it stopped because of the cuts? Or was Aliev disqualified for repeated headbutts? Or was Aliev disqualified for his reaction to a point being taken?

Seems odd that every report contradicts each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
        I missed the fight and can't find a replay. Is anyone clear on what actually happened? This report isn't clear either.

Was it stopped because of the cuts? Or was Aliev disqualified for repeated headbutts? Or was Aliev disqualified for his reaction to a point being taken?

Seems odd that every report contradicts each other.
        The fight was stopped by the ref for what he claims, was two headbutts. The French fighter got a warning for the first time it happened, the DQ the second. You could say after two rounds it was one round apiece with it all to play for in the 3rd.

The two times the ref called the Frenchman out for, were not bad at all. There were two other times though that he didn't see that he could have been called for.

Would a DQ or a point loss be called for the head work in the pros? No. But hitting after the ref called break and hitting behind the head definitely could.
        Toffee Toffee likes this.

Comment

No question Aliev was the better boxer and winning easily, but he was attacking with his head from the start, was given multiple warnings by the referee including a very clear "that is my last warning", and then did it twice again. I counted about 10 deliberate headbutts in the first two rounds. He should have been disqualified earlier.

Comment

I couldn't understand the Frenchman's mentality, he was clearly warned, but carried on. The decision should stand.

Comment

Regardless of whether officiating was justified or not, poor sportsmanship from Aliev. Fighters at the Olympics represent their nation to a greater degree than they do in the pros, and as such you should act with dignity and good grace, not start chimping out in the ring and spitting in the TV cameras when things don't go your way. I've got no sympathy for him solely because of that, and I'm sure the commission will take a similar view, and as such it's basically a guarantee now that their appeal will fail.
              Mick Higgs Mick Higgs likes this.

Comment

Dude behaved like a spoiled brat, very French mentality
                Mick Higgs Mick Higgs likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post

The fight was stopped by the ref for what he claims, was two headbutts. The French fighter got a warning for the first time it happened, the DQ the second. You could say after two rounds it was one round apiece with it all to play for in the 3rd.

The two times the ref called the Frenchman out for, were not bad at all. There were two other times though that he didn't see that he could have been called for.

Would a DQ or a point loss be called for the head work in the pros? No. But hitting after the ref called break and hitting behind the head definitely could.
                  Cheers. Still can't find a replay.

Comment

Standard of boxing seems below par at these Olympics.

The actual fights, I have not seen much elite level skill thus-far 'In the action I have seen'.

Note: I have not watched all the fights, only commenting on what I have seen. Maybe this is due to rule changes, forcing fighters to fight another way.

Comment

Working...
                    X