Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people overrate 'defensive' boxers today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

What judge has ever given points for dancing around? You said 'best work' in the quote. The judge is to determine, in a close round, if a fighters defensive work was better than the other fighters offensive work (or vice-versa).

I don't think that you understand defense.

I do like your Dunn quotes doe ................Rockin'
    You don't score points for missing punches...you score points for landing them....

Comment

Even rounds were discouraged by the ABC, judges were told to make a choice based on the criteria. 10-10 rounds are for those who simply can not make up their minds, or for those rounds that were razor thin.........Rockin'
      Of which there are many, in many fights. Commonly about 6 of those types of rounds in most fights I've watched. Not splitting those rounds where there isn't a clear winner, is an invitation to corruption. And we know boxing needs to invitation to that anyway. They do it right in front of our faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing-1013 View Post

Yeesh...try reading the whole post man. Dunking on yourself lol
        I did read your whole post. You claimed that people rate defensive fighters too highly today, but I gave several examples of defensive fighters that have been rated highly throughout boxing history.

They were of all races too which lays waste to your "tribalism" agenda.

Comment

You don't score points for missing punches...you score points for landing them....
          But it counts by blocking or evading shots. You are an overly offensive minded spectator.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

I did read your whole post. You claimed that people rate defensive fighters too highly today, but I gave several examples of defensive fighters that have been rated highly throughout boxing history.

They were of all races too which lays waste to your "tribalism" agenda.
            Yeah, you didn't read it lol

Comment

But it counts by blocking or evading shots. You are an overly offensive minded spectator.
              It's not rocket science man - you only score points by what you LAND. That's how a fight goes. If you dodge 10 punches, and I dodge 2, but neither one of us lands a punch - you are trying to say that you won that round? Lol, nothing happened

Comment

It's not rocket science man - you only score points by what you LAND. That's how a fight goes. If you dodge 10 punches, and I dodge 2, but neither one of us lands a punch - you are trying to say that you won that round? Lol, nothing happened
                Like I said, you are an overly offensive minded spectator.......Rockin'

Comment

Yeah, you didn't read it lol
                  When everybody is setting you straight about this the problem most likely lies with you not us.
                  Rockin' likes this.

Comment

That's a very charitable way to think about it, lol. The cynic in me sees the corruption all around. I think most fights are straightforward enough. Maybe more 10-10 rounds should be given. I try to basically do that, and split the either way type rounds. In big fights, I feel like on average about 6 rounds are like that - either way type of rounds.
                    And what criteria does a judge look for before determining the winner of a close round? You say that 6 rounds are determined this way in so many 12 round bouts. What are they? ...........Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 04-15-2021, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Well defense is one is the scoring criteria, so there’s that.

A good defense will often neutralise their opponents effective aggression.

And a good defense will offence allow a fighter to dictate the pace of a fight, which is ring gernalship.

So a good defense alone can give a fighter the advantage in 3 of the 4 scoring criteria.

Having a good defense is arguably the most important thing in boxing.

So that is why.

Comment

Working...
                      X