Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people overrate 'defensive' boxers today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get what you are saying and I agree for the most part. This mainly because people a fighter has a certain skillset due to their style.

People assume that just because someone has a defensive style that they have a good defense. And that just because someone has an offensive style that they have a bad defense.

The one fighter today I think this applies to most is Caleb Plant. He fights a purely defensive style but still gets touched and marked up. If he is ever forced to open up his offense to back someone up he is going to get really touched up in my opinion.

Comment

because some people actually love to see skill in their boxers and not just a guy moving forward throwing shots and eating shots in the process

Comment

I actually think it's the opposite most of the time, if someone doesn't like a defensive fighter they'll bring up "he gets hit" like this isn't a sport where you're throwing punches for twelve rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

or I somehow missed everything after "either in mythical matchups or in their actual fight performances."

which is alarming lol
          I think some stuff is slow to load on the new site. I really do. If you viewed it right after I posted it that is probably what happened

Comment

Originally posted by TernceBudCharlo View Post
            Some get overrated some don't. Danny Garcia I think is the most overrated fighter in boxing. He fights off the back foot and waits for counters because he just is not skilled enough to fight going forward and relying on his defense when he puts himself in danger. But Demetrius Andrade can fight off the front foot and the back foot really well.
            Yes Andrade (and BJS for me) are 2 great examples of guys who can clearly win rounds by 'boxing'. Lara is another. Of course Floyd was great at that too usually.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              Boxers with a good defense have always been highly rated and respected in this sport.

Jack Johnson, Willie Pep, Niccolino Locche, Pernell Whitaker...I could go on.

There's nothing new about that. Only to newbs maybe.
              Yeesh...try reading the whole post man. Dunking on yourself lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tails View Post
                I get what you are saying and I agree for the most part. This mainly because people a fighter has a certain skillset due to their style.

People assume that just because someone has a defensive style that they have a good defense. And that just because someone has an offensive style that they have a bad defense.

The one fighter today I think this applies to most is Caleb Plant. He fights a purely defensive style but still gets touched and marked up. If he is ever forced to open up his offense to back someone up he is going to get really touched up in my opinion.
                Yeah good points as well. Being cautious can still mean you get touched up a lot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX.... View Post
                  because some people actually love to see skill in their boxers and not just a guy moving forward throwing shots and eating shots in the process
                  Try reading the entire post....

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                    I actually think it's the opposite most of the time, if someone doesn't like a defensive fighter they'll bring up "he gets hit" like this isn't a sport where you're throwing punches for twelve rounds.
                    I just can never understand why certain guys will get every round on some (most) cards from people, when in actuality there is very little separating the 2 guys in the round. You could have 8 rounds like that in a given fight. 2-2 the other 4 rounds. Turns what should be a draw into a 10-2 win for some people. Just insane to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing-1013 View Post

I just can never understand why certain guys will get every round on some (most) cards from people, when in actuality there is very little separating the 2 guys in the round. You could have 8 rounds like that in a given fight. 2-2 the other 4 rounds. Turns what should be a draw into a 10-2 win for some people. Just insane to me.
                      Yeah, that's the issue with the 10 point must system. 12 close rounds can still be 119-109, while at the same time, you can have a fight that's 113-113 where both guys win six clear rounds. Problem is, the other scoring systems they used to use were worse lol California used to use a 5-3-1 system where you could win a fight while losing more rounds.

Ultimately judges like specific things. Harold Lederman was often called out for preferring guys who move forward, big fan of effective aggression, while other judges will prefer counter punchers, movement, etc. It's why promoters will choose judges who prefer the style that their A-Side fighter uses.

Comment

Working...
                      X