No announcement yet.

The demise of the American heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post

I would boil that down to wilder not being very intelligent and his inability to become a draw with being a puppet for Haymon and Finkel. Not every U.S fighter is going to be that stupid and get bloodsuckers in their wallet .

Look at Conto and Anderson how they are going about it , they will be great marketing guys and won’t have any trouble generating money iwhen they make it to the big fights .
    youre an idiot...and youre just one of those typical UK/euro guys that cant get a grip on reality lol.....

wilder has always looked the part and was delivering highlight reel KOs for years....a "puppet" lol....wilder has earned more money than any current US born boxer...he made more money in a 2 year span than any other american boxer has in a career....

nobody knows who jared anderson and sonny conto are here

Comment

I would worry if American boxing itself was in the pits, but there is great US talent from 140 up to about 160. If the best HW come from other countries, I can appreciate them and happily will pick my favorites based on fighting styles. Of course I wish the US would bring a top HW to the table every generation. Maybe Wilder's time in the sun, no matter how brief, will help long term get the giant US athlete to consider boxing. But any sport requires a lifetime commitment to be a top pro, and most monster athletes in the US concentrate on football or basketball.

Comment

I would boil that down to wilder not being very intelligent and his inability to become a draw with being a puppet for Haymon and Finkel. Not every U.S fighter is going to be that stupid and get bloodsuckers in their wallet .

Look at Conto and Anderson how they are going about it , they will be great marketing guys and won’t have any trouble generating money iwhen they make it to the big fights .
        wilder got offered 100 million for a 2 fight deal against Joshua but turned it down...now that equals time of say 14 months in total for those 2 fights..are you saying the lowest NFL players are making that money in a year ? I doubt that very much

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post

youre an idiot...and youre just one of those typical UK/euro guys that cant get a grip on reality lol.....

wilder has always looked the part and was delivering highlight reel KOs for years....a "puppet" lol....wilder has earned more money than any current US born boxer...he made more money in a 2 year span than any other american boxer has in a career....

nobody knows who jared anderson and sonny conto are here
          Wilder has had one semi successful PPV with Fury and another one not successful at all . A heavyweight champion is supposed to be a PPV draw is he ? You know that answer .

There are no current top U.S heavyweights besides Hunter , they weren’t even around while Wilder fought some and the best ones he’s never fought Hunter and Ruiz .

I bet Ruiz made more fighting A.J twice then Wilder in his entire career bf Fury came along and gave him his PPV and new signing deals .

Mike Tyson forgot Wilders name the other month and why would anyone know 7 fight novice at this point ?
          Last edited by REDEEMER; 04-12-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Yeah uh if you're 6'3 and up and over 200 lbs you're not picking boxing over American Football

Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield are still fighting at 54 and 58 years old...ENOUGH SAID! American Amateur system is a joke and nobody cares about it and nobody shows up to watch and support it. While if you play high school football, Friday Nights Thousands come to see you, you also have a chance to earn a scholarship.

OTHERS are far more obsessed and concern with American Heavyweight Boxing than Americans are. That being said, we can go with for another 25 years, nobody is ever going to duplicate or catch up to the great Heavyweight History of American Boxing we've already seen it in American Heavyweight Boxing
            Last edited by sicko; 04-12-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
              what went wrong ?
              The money.

There are still some lower-division boxers but the big boys prefer American Football, Baseball, and Basketball. Sure Britain's got a few names but HW boxers overall are less talented these days. It is a tough sport that needs a lot of commitment, hard work, and dedication. You're likely to earn more elsewhere.

Comment

Wilder has had one semi successful PPV with Fury and another one not successful at all . A heavyweight champion is supposed to be a PPV draw is he ? You know that answer .

There are no current top U.S heavyweights besides Hunter , they weren’t even around while Wilder fought some and the best ones he’s never fought Hunter and Ruiz .

I bet Ruiz made more fighting A.J twice then Wilder in his entire career bf Fury came along and gave him his PPV and new signing deals .

Mike Tyson forgot Wilders name the other month and why would anyone know 7 fight novice at this point ?
                mike tyson also eats mushrooms on podcasts and smokes a ton of weed lol...he knows who wilder is..

wilder isnt a huge draw on his own because americans dont care about boxing anymore....its plain and simple...its not because he doesnt deliver highlight kos(he does)...its not because hes stupid(he might be i dont really care)....

american sports has more guys over 6-2 or over who are worth 8-9 figures by their mid twenties....you havent a clue...you are a clown

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                  Yeah uh if you're 6'3 and up and over 200 lbs you're not picking boxing over American Football

Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield are still fighting at 54 and 58 years old...ENOUGH SAID! American Amateur system is a joke and nobody cares about it and nobody shows up to watch and support it. While if you play high school football, Friday Nights Thousands come to see you, you also have a chance to earn a scholarship.
                  the bosa brothers are both worth more than basically every american born boxer besides wilder...and they will likely get another huge contract each if they stay healthy......and they arent even 26 yet...lol

you have guys in the nba playing 20 mins a night that are worth high 8 figures lol

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
                    wilder got offered 100 million for a 2 fight deal against Joshua but turned it down...now that equals time of say 14 months in total for those 2 fights..are you saying the lowest NFL players are making that money in a year ? I doubt that very much
                    Wilders own team didn’t offer him that though , Dazn did . He got those offers because of A.J not because of what he actually did in the ring .

Wilder didn’t make it to that discussion table because he was smart ,he made it there because he was invited because team A.J wanted his belt . That’s just another fighter carrying him , I wouldn’t relate other sports to that situation .

Don’t know about NFL salaries haven’t kept up with it .

Comment

How many active heavyweights globally you think there are altogether ?
                      1125 if we are going by Boxrec.

Its probably off by a fair bit but the general region of 1000ish wouldnt be surprising.

Comment

Working...
                      X