No announcement yet.

The demise of the American heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post

How many ATG fighters did Klitschko defeat ?
    Now this I will admit is a fair point. But I don't rate Wlad at all either. He's largely considered great merely because of the sheer amount of time he dominated, not because he has any real notable wins.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
      Lewis was born and raised in London up to the age of 12 so yes he is British and he would have remained British if his mother didn’t emigrate and Lewis from day one as a professional had his career based in the uk so he is British

So where did he grow up? where did he learn how to box? Why did Emmanual Steward himself say "Lennox wasn't really a brit, he was just a kid from Kitchener."

or more importantly, why didn't British fans embrace him until he retired?

Comment

Held all the belts because it was a fluke not because he was considered as one of the best heavyweights in the division ..I’m talking about quality and America what ever way you cut it has not produced a world beating heavyweight in 25 years...forget upsets or flukes I’m talking highly skilled
        One held the WBC belt for five years. And do flukes not count? Either way, my point stands. Americans held the belts merely 18 months ago and its kinda testament to how ****ty non-American heavyweights are if, despite American heavyweight boxing falling immensely in popularity, one was able to hold on for so long and another won in pretty emphatic fashion only to end up eating his way out of an adequate defense looool

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post

How many ATG fighters did Klitschko defeat ?
          marvellous how some people overlook that Joshua had only 18 professions fights and just 3 and half years as a pro when knocking out klitchcko lol
          Klitchko wouldn’t last 5 rounds with a more mature Joshua now

Comment

Originally posted by KingGilgamesh View Post
            despite American heavyweight boxing falling immensely in popularity
            Boxrec lists 282 active pros from the US, the entirety of Europe (Russia included) has 411.

Its honestly not that popular anywhere anyway. Even in the UK outside of AJ and Fury fights its niche. Theres less than 50 active HWs there according to Boxrec ffs.

Comment

marvellous how some people overlook that Joshua had only 18 professions fights and just 3 and half years as a pro when knocking out klitchcko lol
              Klitchko wouldn’t last 5 rounds with a more mature Joshua now

These guys don’t know boxing . You aren’t even supposed to defeat ATG fighters while you are in another era because that means they are probably past there best most of the time and with 18 fights under you . There isn’t even any current ATG besides Klitschko when A.J came on the scene so he’s supposed to round some up I guess and get wins off them ?

Klitschko would still be a top 5 guy now and they wouldn’t give A.J credit anyway still.

Comment

ask yourself this

in 1991 what was lawrence taylor making a year in just salary for playing...same with jordan......and how much money was tyson, holyfield and bowe making?

now ask yourself how much wilder was making in 2017 per fight.....and ask yourself how many 6-3 americans are worth 8 to 9 figures now playing other sports?

it doesnt take a genius

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

Boxrec lists 282 active pros from the US, the entirety of Europe (Russia included) has 411.

Its honestly not that popular anywhere anyway. Even in the UK outside of AJ and Fury fights its niche. Theres less than 50 active HWs there according to Boxrec ffs.
                  them numbers have probably never changed that much...you can see that with the fighters resumes...every well known heavyweight in Ali’s era have faced the same names...quarry , shaver , London , bugner etc ...I doubt it’s changed much
                  Last edited by The plunger man; 04-12-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                    ask yourself this

in 1991 what was lawrence taylor making a year in just salary for playing...same with jordan......and how much money was tyson, holyfield and bowe making?

now ask yourself how much wilder was making in 2017 per fight.....and ask yourself how many 6-3 americans are worth 8 to 9 figures now playing other sports?

it doesnt take a genius
                    I would boil that down to wilder not being very intelligent and his inability to become a draw with being a puppet for Haymon and Finkel. Not every U.S fighter is going to be that stupid and get bloodsuckers in their wallet .

Look at Conto and Anderson how they are going about it , they will be great marketing guys and won’t have any trouble generating money iwhen they make it to the big fights .

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

How many active heavyweights globally you think there are altogether ?

Comment

Working...
                      X