No announcement yet.

The Heavyweight trying to save boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heavyweight trying to save boxing

I wonder how history will treat the current top heavyweights?

We've got Wilder who had his fans, but now it's clear his resume was heavily padded and he failed the first time he stepped up. One of the worst long reigning Champions ever seen. And took his first defeat terribly - probably badly enough to end his career.

Fury produced a great win against Klitschko before going off the rails. Came back and produced another great story (against the aforementioned weakest long reigning champion). Hasn't fought since, looks to have stacked on weight again, is now talking the Undisputed fight down.

Then there's Joshua. Heavily disliked on here. But he's spent a career fighting the best available, unified belts, met his mandatories in an attempt to unify the division, always comes physically prepared, took his loss like a true sportsman, made no excuses and avenged it.

I hope Joshua completes his life work and achieves Undisputed. He's the only one who deserves to go down as a great. You don't have to like his style to appreciate his character. You don't have to like his promoter either.

Surely it's time that Joshua was appreciated on here as the one who actually had a go?

Outside of Fury who is the best and most skilled heavyweight out there, I'm not seeing alot of skill in this era. Joshua is pretty decent but kind of robotic and a shaky chin.I think if you go after him it throws off his game plan.Wilder has no skills besides a huge right hand. Shocking to me how someone cannot improve on anything over the years like Wilder but when you go undefeated with 1 weapon. I guess you always think that will pull you through. Usyk has good skills but is too small in this era. Wallin kind of interests me as he is unorthodox and can be dangerous. He troubled Fury greatly but was that just a case of styles make matchups? Joe Joyce is a rock. Extremely durable and I could see him outlasting opponents or getting decisioned. He may be good to go if he avoids Fury. I have always loved a heavyweight scrap and while this era is down IMO, Hopefully better days ahead.
    Last edited by LITTLE JOE; 02-24-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
      I wonder how history will treat the current top heavyweights?

We've got Wilder who had his fans, but now it's clear his resume was heavily padded and he failed the first time he stepped up. One of the worst long reigning Champions ever seen. And took his first defeat terribly - probably badly enough to end his career.

Fury produced a great win against Klitschko before going off the rails. Came back and produced another great story (against the aforementioned weakest long reigning champion). Hasn't fought since, looks to have stacked on weight again, is now talking the Undisputed fight down.

Then there's Joshua. Heavily disliked on here. But he's spent a career fighting the best available, unified belts, met his mandatories in an attempt to unify the division, always comes physically prepared, took his loss like a true sportsman, made no excuses and avenged it.

I hope Joshua completes his life work and achieves Undisputed. He's the only one who deserves to go down as a great. You don't have to like his style to appreciate his character. You don't have to like his promoter either.

Surely it's time that Joshua was appreciated on here as the one who actually had a go?
      Its why I am a huge fan. Ppl can question his skill level or his chin all they plz but his professionalism, attitude, drive and ambition have been 2nd to none. His focus is to achieve the most he can in his career and it is something I wish all Boxers would do. If every fighter across the divisions has the same drive as Joshua it would be by a long way a more popular sport than it is right now.

Comment

when did joshua do his wbo mandatory?

Comment

Originally posted by Watcherw1 View Post
          That was the last one he won, I believe it was as follows

Martin challenger IBF
          brezeale voluntary def
          molina voluntary def
          klitschko unify wba and ibo
          takam (originally pulev) Ibf mandatory
          Parker unify wbo
          povetkin ibf mandatory (and wbo number one)
          Ruiz jr voluntary
          ruiz jr rematch
          pulev wba mandatory

usyk in theory next if fury does duck

Comment

Joshua got mollywhopped by Andy Ruiz. That image will never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcherw1 View Post
              Usyk was the official WBO mandatory for A.J June 2nd 2019 .

The mandatory isn’t due yet until May and they have extended that for the undisputed fight . The winner of Joyce vs Usyk takes the spot .

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Joshua got mollywhopped by Andy Ruiz. That image will never be forgotten.
                Ali
                Frazier
                Holyfield
                Tyson
                Lewis
                Homes
                Foreman......etc

How many of these were undefeated? Shame the modern casuals view one loss as defining your career!

Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he is on the level of anyone mentioned there, or that any of them would have been beat by Ruiz, just saying he is useless due to one loss is so narrow minded and naive!

Comment

Originally posted by Bain01D View Post

Ali
                  Frazier
                  Holyfield
                  Tyson
                  Lewis
                  Homes
                  Foreman......etc

How many of these were undefeated? Shame the modern casuals view one loss as defining your career!

Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he is on the level of anyone mentioned there, or that any of them would have been beat by Ruiz, just saying he is useless due to one loss is so narrow minded and naive!
                  Also, the best among those above were defined by how they came back from defeat. Defeat used to be considered inevitable - it was the response that varied.

Nowadays a guy gets pilloried for a defeat, even when he came back with absolute class and professionalism.

Comment

Idk how you can hate on AJ. I mean I get he gots a bit of a do gooder holy than thou type thing going on sometimes, but as a boxer he seems willing to fight whoever & as a man beyond the do gooder critique I see many discuss I think he's just a guy trying to do the best for his loved ones & for himself which ideally we are all trying to do. So can't really dog the guy too hard or too seriously about anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X