Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Calzaghe HOFer worthy and is he an ATG??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guled View Post
    Is Calzaghe HOFer worthy and is he an ATG??

Is he up there with the big boys? Does his resume mean the standards?? Which great fighters did he beat?? What was his best performance that shown that he is worthy.

Resume

Hopkins (43 years old and wins in a SD)
    Kessler Unproven and wins an easy UD
    Eubank weight drained and coming out a retirement

Calzage is an all time great and HOF fighter whether you like it or not. I can very easily distort Manny Pacquiao's record in the way you did Calzgahe's.

Eric Morales-Past his prime but beat Pacquioa. Pacquiao only beat him when he was way past his prime.

Barrera-Well past his prime but Pacquiao fought him twice

JMM-Many say Pacquiao lost both of these fights

Joan Guzman-world champion in the same division who many say Pacquiao avoided

Edwin Valero-another world champ who Pacquiao did not fight

1 fight at 135 aginst the weakest of the champions.

See how easy that was? Oh yeah, you left out Jeff Lacy who many picked to beat Calzaghe. Unbeaten,prime world champ.
    Last edited by joseph5620; 08-16-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
      Hall of Famer, yes.

ATG? That's rather subjective on what exactly an ATG is. Usually I think of ATGs as guys being in say, top 30, maybe top 40 all-time.

So no.
      I agree. But if you break it down by divisions, there are not 20 or 30 better fighters at 168 than Calzaghe. I can't even think of ten. So he is top 3 at the least.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        I agree. But if you break it down by divisions, there are not 20 or 30 better fighters at 168 than Calzaghe. I can't even think of ten. So he is top 3 at the least.
        168 is a new division. Calzaghe is the most accomplished fighter at 168 since Super Middleweight became a division.

But if you go through history, lots of legends fought around the range. Many in the old days when moving from middleweight to light heavyweight.

Being the greatest ever at 168 or cruiserweight is considerably different than say, being one of the greatest ever at middleweight or welterweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
          168 is a new division. Calzaghe is the most accomplished fighter at 168 since Super Middleweight became a division.

But if you go through history, lots of legends fought around the range. Many in the old days when moving from middleweight to light heavyweight.

Being the greatest ever at 168 or cruiserweight is considerably different than say, being one of the greatest ever at middleweight or welterweight.
          That's true. You make a good case there.

Comment

You should have split the question , HOF yes , ATG no .

Longterm hardcore boxing fans could never class Joe and his cherry picking Ottke style resume as that off an ATG only his fanboys would say something like that.

Comment

Hall of Fame YES
              All time great NO
              All time great Super Middleweight YES

Comment

hof maybe but atg **** no. simple as that

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                  HOF, yes. 20+ title defenses in over 10 years as a titlist, unified the division, then moved up in weight to beat the linear champion.

ATG, not sure.

Co-sign this post.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    why are you acting like the wbo was a legit sought after belt? it wasn't for most of his defenses making them irrelevant. he's a fraud. WINDMILL TIME
                    this is actually true. Im not positive when the WBO was considered a 'legit' belt, but when Calzaghe picked it up it wasnt widely recongnised...something like the IBO, Im guessing.

I think its fair to put him in the HOF

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                      this is actually true. Im not positive when the WBO was considered a 'legit' belt, but when Calzaghe picked it up it wasnt widely recongnised...something like the IBO, Im guessing.

I think its fair to put him in the HOF
                      Thats true , in those days it was the WBC and the WBA , the WBO was like the IBO WBF is today , the IBF actually got more recognition than WBO even though it started later .

Comment

Working...
                      X