No announcement yet.

Is Cotto Mayweather’s “Manos De Piedra?”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Jesus View Post
    there is an article like this every year detailing the same **** drawing the same comparisons, until floyd loses, its always going to be like this because it always has been, the article is the same **** i been hearing since the gatti fight, im all for objectiveness when discussing the number 1 fighter in the world, but this article doesnt raise anything new at all, not even in the slightest.

i mean, just a month ago RICKY HATTON was drawing the exact same comparison! come on man.
    Don't do it, BJ. You're sounding like a Floydboy. Do you think we should never consider that he might lose? Real boxing fans are not fans of just one guy; you're not one of the one-fighter fans, so don't talk like them.

Comment

pbf is nothing but an inflated record

Delahoya and hatton's name shouldn't even muttered in the same sentence as cotto, delahoya is past his prime and fighting at catch weights seems to be pbf calling card. As far as duran and "no mas" he took a dive everyone in Panama knows that he took the money, if you watch that fight closely he never had the same aggression or termination he known for. Thats neither here nor there mayweather isn't going to fight cotto because he knows there's a chance he'll lose and might get a little blood on his ostrich skin boxing shorts.

Comment

Floyd said it best....

"Cotto is tooooo green" (like a monster or the hulk! ) < They left this part of the quote out.

Comment

Originally posted by hulme#1 View Post
          Objectivity, man!

Which comparison? Leonard/Duran? Yeah, nothing new under the sun in that respect. Except I think Leonard/Duran was dredged up for different reasons in the case of Mayweather/Hatton... if anything, I think Ricky was the first to cite Duran's fight with Leonard in the build up to Undefeated (correct me if I'm mistaken). This guy's point focuses less on presenting Duran's win over Sugar Ray as a blueprint for how Cotto could beat Floyd, and more on the potential rivalry that could build between them should Floyd lose a mooted first encounter. Now, I'm not so sure Cotto can beat Floyd, but that's open to argument obviously.

I don't think this article (or its writer) seeks to diminish Floyd. If anything, it expresses a wish to see Mayweather pushed to the very extremes of his talent, by an opponent who could push him into showing a layer of fortitude he almost certainly possesses but has never had to show before. Of course, this search may be entirely vain, and pinning those expectations on a Miguel Cotto may just be more clutching at straws. Floyd probably is just too good for every welterweight out there. But you can't blame a fight-fan for dreaming of great fights.
          Who wouldn't lick their lips over a Mayweather/Cotto bout? We've all done the rounds of logically outlining the reasons why Cotto may not pass Floyd's muster as a feasible next opponent, but, as fans, with no interest in the business, can't we all just admit how much we want to see this fight? I'm dying to see it. Doesn't mean I think Floyd loses any credibility if it isn't made. I'm just being a greedy-ass fan. Ain't we all?
          I understand what you are trying to say but the author was in a way diminshing Floyd's legacy. The author basically implies that Floyd has to lose and bounce back or show some immaculate heart to get a win is the only way he could be defined as great.

Black Jesus and others are simply saying why must 1 lose in order to be considered great. when u think about it, the notion of losing to be great is contradictory....atleast to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
            Don't do it, BJ. You're sounding like a Floydboy. Do you think we should never consider that he might lose? Real boxing fans are not fans of just one guy.
            I don't think it is crazy to consider he may never lose. right now, his fight game is in a whole another league. It is almost unfeasible for him to lose especially to a Miguel Cotto.

Who can really beat him around his weight? Stating something that is almost fact is not being a nuthugger which some haterz either can't or choose not to understand. Fact is no one has the total package like he does around his weight and no one is that much better at 1 particular boxing skill than he to overwhelm him.

Comment

Originally posted by cortdawg25 View Post
              I don't think it is crazy to consider he may never lose. right now, his fight game is in a whole another league. It is almost unfeasible for him to lose especially to a Miguel Cotto.

Who can really beat him around his weight? Stating something that is almost fact is not being a nuthugger which some haterz either can't or choose not to understand. Fact is no one has the total package like he does around his weight and no one is that much better at 1 particular boxing skill than he to overwhelm him.
              It's fairly obvious Mayweather isn't going to lose given that he's not fighting the best fighters in his weight class. If he fought Williams, Cotto, and Margarito, at least one of those guys would beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by !! $iN View Post
                It's fairly obvious Mayweather isn't going to lose given that he's not fighting the best fighters in his weight class. If he fought Williams, Cotto, and Margarito, at least one of those guys would beat him.
                oh shut up about margarito already, the guy sucks hairy butt crack.

Comment

Originally posted by !! $iN View Post
                  What makes you think he would lose to any of those three people?

Comment

Originally posted by raysan View Post
                    The thing is wasnt Ricky Hatton supposed to be his "Duran", maybe its just possible theres no one as good as him to push him, same with Holmes. I mean what if he knocks out Cotto while dominating him, whos his next "Duran", its a no win situation. Pretty much people are saying he isnt great because he hasnt lost which makes no sense.
                    That's exactly what I was saying. I could have swore they billed Hatton as Floyd's Duran and now they switch over to Cotto. Who is next in line, Williams as Floyd's Hearns(without the knockout).

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
                      What makes you think he would lose to any of those three people?
                      Natural welterweights, difficult styles, and in their primes. At least one of them will beat him. Have you noticed Mayweather has avoided all of the top welterweights? I mean he is making excuses not to fight Cotto and he's the biggest draw in the entire division and the most lucrative fight out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X