Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richie-G View Post
    here is my list-

1. Sugar Ray Robinson- The greatest, no-one can compare to him
    2. Muhammad Ali- The greatest heavyweight, would have beaten any other heavyweight in any era, bar maybe Louis.
    3. Willie Pep- The greatest defensive fighter of all time
    4. Henry Armstrong- Only man to hold titles in 3 weight divisions ever,
    defeated 15 champions in an 18 year career.
    5. Joe Louis- Great fighter, in my opinion the only heavyweight who can come close to Ali.
    6. Benny Leonard- the smartest fighter who ever lived.
    7. Harry Greb - Great fighter, fought 299 bouts, more than corbett, j jeffries, gene tunney, louis, marciano and ali combined, only man to beat gene tunney, fought heavyweights when he was a middleweight.
    8. Gene Tunney- Beat Greats such as dempsey and greb, only losing once and had the brains to quit while he was on top.
    9. Jack Johnson - fought and knocked out some of the greatest champions, including Jim Jeffries, Stanley Ketchel, Philadelphia Jack O'Brian, Joe Jeanette, Sam Langford, the list goes on....
    10. Sugar Ray Leonard - I put him in here reluctantly, but he beat the greats of the modern era and was simply the best in his time, beating Benitez, Hearns, Duran and Hagler.

I couldn't complete the list as after 10 there are just too many great fighters. I compiled this list quite quickly and actually changed my mind halfway through, and I was reluctant to put in fighters of the modern era as I don't think they can be compared to people who fought 150 + bouts, sometimes fighting 20 + rounds. Here is a list of fighters I considered putting in from numbers 11-15 but couldn't decide:

Roberto Duran
    Pernell Whitaker
    Jimmy Wilde
    Julio Cesar Chavez
    Sam Langford
    Joe Gans
    Jack Dempsey
    Stanley Ketchel

Have you even seen Ali or Johnson fight? Seriously?

You rank a guy like Robinson number one, but what was his best win? Bobo Olson? A desiccated Jake LaMotta? Randy Trupin? He almost died fighting Maxim.
    And yet no Mickey Walker: a TRUE Welterweight, who beat and drew with elite Light Heavyweights and Heavyweights.

Again, I gotta laugh at Jack Johnson. Can you show me he was any better as a heavyweight than Loughran (a small Light Heavyweight)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Burning Desire View Post
      Wheres, Ricardo Lopez, Herny Armstrong, Willie Pep, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Benny Leonard, Jimmy Wilde etc ?? im sorry but i think is a bad list.
      I agree he left out Sweet Pea also and has ODLH WAY TO HIGH. He also seems in need of researching older fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by john l View Post
        I agree he left out Sweet Pea also and has ODLH WAY TO HIGH. He also seems in need of researching older fighters.
        Who do you like better P4P, Floyd or Pete? Which fights do you consider to be their best wins, respectively?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
          Who do you like better P4P, Floyd or Pete? Which fights do you consider to be their best wins, respectively?
          Never really been able to separate them they're the two best to turn pro over last 40yrs. As far as best wins off the top of my head Pete vs Chavez,Nelson,Buddy M, are prob his biggest along with ODLH(should have won), but he looked best @35 vs Haugen,Ramirez,Nelson(again),Pendelton(a lot better then rec) Mayweather I would say Canelo,Cotto,Pac,ODLH,Judah,(was on that night)Hatton,Mosley but again looked best @ 30-5 vs Corrales,Hernandez,Castillo(2nd)and a VERY underrated Ndou who was never the same.

Comment

Never really been able to separate them they're the two best to turn pro over last 40yrs. As far as best wins off the top of my head Pete vs Chavez,Nelson,Buddy M, are prob his biggest along with ODLH(should have won), but he looked best @35 vs Haugen,Ramirez,Nelson(again),Pendelton(a lot better then rec) Mayweather I would say Canelo,Cotto,Pac,ODLH,Judah,(was on that night)Hatton,Mosley but again looked best @ 30-5 vs Corrales,Hernandez,Castillo(2nd)and a VERY underrated Ndou who was never the same.

That's fair.

Mayweather was the more complete fighter/better puncher. And he pieced together the better career.

But Whitaker always looked better to me. And he took way more risks.

I consider Whitaker top 10ish P4P, Floyd is more like top 30. I just feel there are too many asterisks.
            Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 08-13-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• 1 Muhammad Ali
              2 sugar ray Leonard
              3 joe Louis
              4 roberto Duran
              5 sugar ray Robinson
              6 Henry Armstrong
              7 manny Pacquiao
              8 Lennox Lewis
              9 Salvador Sanchez
              10 Julio Cesar Chavez
              11 Rocky Marciano
              12 floyd Mayweather
              13 Roy Jones jnr
              14 Marvin hagler
              15 Harry greb

I donít follow the sheep and say Robinson because I never saw as a welterweight and I never was overly impressed with him tbh

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                That's fair.

Mayweather was the more complete fighter/better puncher. And he pieced together the better career.

But Whitaker always looked better to me. And he took way more risks.

I consider Whitaker top 10ish P4P, Floyd is more like top 30. I just feel there are too many asterisks.
                I disagree would put both around top 10ish and don't see where Pete took anymore risks, both fought the very best of there times and May even went up one more division and won it 3 times. As far as Pete looking better to you that's your opinion and that's fine. To me they would need to fight 3 times to see who is better, because both could make adjustments and readjustments the southpaw stance of Pea might make the difference at least in 1st fight. The shoulder roll defense can leave you open to left hand, but as in the ODLH fight May could adjust and fight a more conventional defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
                  1 Muhammad Ali
                  2 sugar ray Leonard
                  3 joe Louis
                  4 roberto Duran
                  5 sugar ray Robinson
                  6 Henry Armstrong
                  7 manny Pacquiao
                  8 Lennox Lewis
                  9 Salvador Sanchez
                  10 Julio Cesar Chavez
                  11 Rocky Marciano
                  12 floyd Mayweather
                  13 Roy Jones jnr
                  14 Marvin hagler
                  15 Harry greb

I donít follow the sheep and say Robinson because I never saw as a welterweight and I never was overly impressed with him tbh
                  There is tape of SRR at 47 at least 4 one being his last fight with Agnott where he hits him with 5 st8 left hooks.

Comment

There is tape of SRR at 47 at least 4 one being his last fight with Agnott where he hits him with 5 st8 left hooks.
                    ok but who was agnott ? and why on earth was a fighter hit with 5 straight left hooks....did he have a defence ?

Comment

• The only guys I will list are the one's from my years as a boxing fan in no particular order:

Ali
                      Hagler
                      Duran
                      Leonard
                      Salvador Sanchez
                      Aaron Pryor
                      Tommy hearns
                      Carlos Monzon
                      Evander Holyfield
                      Mike Tyson

Comment

Working...