Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Number 1: "Greatest Controversies"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read the original OP from back in 2005, he was championing the "Long Count" which makes sense.

In 1951 sports writers gathered and voted it the 5th Most Dramatic Sports' Movement of the first half of the 20th Century. It was legendary.

But when I think "controversy" I want to add as a measure, its affect on tarnishing the fight game.

Dempsey-Tunney II is the kind of controversy that's good for the fight game, it creates lots of talk and that's good.

Even as late as 1964 Rod Stirling used it in a. TZ episode as a reference for stubbornness and a refusal to forget.

But . . .

I fear the number #1 controversy in professional boxing was Ali-Liston II.

Its 'ugly' drove away fans.

At least the 'long count' came with top end excitement and left fans to argue about what they saw.

There was nothing redeeming or mitigating about Lewistown, Maine. Fans really couldn't even discuss the fight/event itself as the discussion was clouded and dominated by talk of mob influence or NOI corruption and threats. Things the average fight fan really can't discuss much.

The 'long count' became legendary and accepted. The only reaction anyone, even today, can muster about Lewiston, is a shake of the head.

It wasn't just controversal, it was ugly.

As bad as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      I read the original OP from back in 2005, he was championing the "Long Count" which makes sense.

In 1951 sports writers gathered and voted it the 5th Most Dramatic Sports' Movement of the first half of the 20th Century. It was legendary.

But when I think "controversy" I want to add as a measure, its affect on tarnishing the fight game.

Dempsey-Tunney II is the kind of controversy that's good for the fight game, it creates lots of talk and that's good.

Even as late as 1964 Rod Stirling used it in a. TZ episode as a reference for stubbornness and a refusal to forget.

But . . .

I fear the number #1 controversy in professional boxing was Ali-Liston II.

Its 'ugly' drove away fans.

At least the 'long count' came with top end excitement and left fans to argue about what they saw.

There was nothing redeeming or mitigating about Lewistown, Maine. Fans really couldn't even discuss the fight/event itself as the discussion was clouded and dominated by talk of mob influence or NOI corruption and threats. Things the average fight fan really can't discuss much.

The 'long count' became legendary and accepted. The only reaction anyone, even today, can muster about Lewiston, is a shake of the head.

It wasn't just controversal, it was ugly.

As bad as it gets.

- - Less than 2500 paid attendance in, what, a remote Maine HS gym?

Yet somehow Ali captured lightning in a bottle with The Phantom Punch that obscured the gross officiating and his own gross rule infractions. Howie setting up his always overly officious panel of boxing spurts that included Jack Dempsey and Rocky to review and grade the phantom...priceless!!!

Comment

How about Williams-Lara? That was also a pretty bad decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          How about Williams-Lara? That was also a pretty bad decision.
          - - Lady Lara fan, eh?

The Lady ran like a scalded cat from Paul as most did back then. Did the same thing vs Canelo to zero acclaim save from his lady friends.

Comment

Or Luis Resto-Billy Collins fight, where the stuffing was taken out of Resto's gloves, causing Panama Lewis and Resto to do time for assault?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Or Luis Resto-Billy Collins fight, where the stuffing was taken out of Resto's gloves, causing Panama Lewis and Resto to do time for assault?
              - - Can you show me where Lewis and Resto did time for assault for wearing NYCommish/Collins Daddy approved gloves?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Can you show me where Lewis and Resto did time for assault for wearing NYCommish/Collins Daddy approved gloves?
                ?

Resto served 2 1/2 years of a three year sentence.

Lewis served 3 1/2 years of a six year sentence.

I agree they never really explained how the gloves got by all the safety regulations. Where was the commission?

Resto in later years claimed his taped hands had been tampered with the classic electric/medical/bicycle/plaster tape (chose the one that fits your conspiracy) but this makes little sense since his tapping was approved by the commission and opponents seconds.

Resto also claimed that Lewis took his gloves off and retreated into the restroom after the inspection, where he removed the padding and then re-gloved Resto.

This sounds a touch more realistic as it happened after the gloves had been inspected and confirmed.

While the tapping is signed by the commission making it difficult to retape hands, the gloves could be removed and replaced without it being noticed as they are not marked with a signature.

Comment

We can add Ramos-Lubin to the mix, Casamayor-Santa Cruz as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

?

Resto served 2 1/2 years of a three year sentence.

Lewis served 3 1/2 years of a six year sentence.

I agree they never really explained how the gloves got by all the safety regulations. Where was the commission?

Resto in later years claimed his taped hands had been tampered with the classic electric/medical/bicycle/plaster tape (chose the one that fits your conspiracy) but this makes little sense since his tapping was approved by the commission and opponents seconds.

Resto also claimed that Lewis took his gloves off and retreated into the restroom after the inspection, where he removed the padding and then re-gloved Resto.

This sounds a touch more realistic as it happened after the gloves had been inspected and confirmed.

While the tapping is signed by the commission making it difficult to retape hands, the gloves could be removed and replaced without it being noticed as they are not marked with a signature.
                    - - Before my time, but I don’t recall when a fighter has his wraps approved and didn’t have his gloves taped on with a signature.

?

Comment

Working...
                    X