No announcement yet.

Tunney versus Louis who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunney versus Louis who wins?

Is this a good match? a bad one...an obvious one? a real dogone keeper? (from the movie "GET OUT" Rose's father in a black man's body)...

I am interested in how you analyze the match up if any one gives two ****s.

To me? I think Louis was perhaps the most technically gifted puncher we have seen at heavy...But don't think he can find Gene. I base this on something I have been saying here for a while... Gene had a very unique fighting education. He had bare knuckles typeskills and modern post dempsey experience. Tunney could fight off his back leg beautifully in the manner of someone like Johnson, or Corbett, and could attack relentlessly in the manner of someone like Greb.

Louis would have to find him and keep him lol. Lets say for the sake of argument the fight plays out just like Conn and Bam! he catches Tunney. There is a geat chance that Tunney gets up imo. And there you have it.

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Is this a good match? a bad one...an obvious one? a real dogone keeper? (from the movie "GET OUT" Rose's father in a black man's body)...

I am interested in how you analyze the match up if any one gives two ****s.

To me? I think Louis was perhaps the most technically gifted puncher we have seen at heavy...But don't think he can find Gene. I base this on something I have been saying here for a while... Gene had a very unique fighting education. He had bare knuckles typeskills and modern post dempsey experience. Tunney could fight off his back leg beautifully in the manner of someone like Johnson, or Corbett, and could attack relentlessly in the manner of someone like Greb.

Louis would have to find him and keep him lol. Lets say for the sake of argument the fight plays out just like Conn and Bam! he catches Tunney. There is a geat chance that Tunney gets up imo. And there you have it.
    Tough fight for Louis but I think he prevails via UD or late stoppage.

Comment

Louis takes it.

Comment

In a three fight series, I think I'd have Tunney winning two. His style is completely wrong for Louis. He's like a bigger, stronger Billy Conn with a better chin.

Comment

Since this is a WI . . .

What if Tunney stayed around for a few years and defended against Max Schmeling in 1930, winning an easy UD?

Since the rule for WI history usually states that unless something is directly altered by the WI, all other events remain constant.

Therefore Schmeling will still KO Louis, summer 1936.

So now the dynamics are: Tunney could beat the younger, better Schmeling, but Louis couldn't.

Does anyone wish to argue that the younger, better Schmeling could beat Gene Tunney in '30? If not then why are we so sure Louis could take Tunney.

I will add, had Tunney defeated Schmeling in a title defense and then Schmeling goes on to school Louis in '36, it is likely all the talk in the late 1930s wouldn't have been about a fictional Dempsey-Louis fight (as it was), but instead would have been Tunney-Louis, and there would have been many Tunney advocates.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            In a three fight series, I think I'd have Tunney winning two. His style is completely wrong for Louis. He's like a bigger, stronger Billy Conn with a better chin.
            nice analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Quicksilver* View Post
              Louis takes it.
              Why because you say so? lol. How about a reason. Nothing wrong with thinking Louis would take Tunney...

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
                Tough fight for Louis but I think he prevails via UD or late stoppage.
                I wish you guys would share your reasons. I have no problem with taking Louis for this one, but its nice to know why people think what they do.

Comment

What about Schmelling? Do we, as Willie pep suggests, learn about a hypothetical Tunney fight when we look at schmelling?

My opinion is that Tunney was a much better fighter than Schmelling. Tunney had all the technical gifts that Max had and a lot more physical gifts.

Sugar Ray mentions Conn. I think Tunney is better than Conn, though its a little closer here IMO.

I can't figure out how Louis gets to Tunney. Dempsey was a pressure fighter. Louis needs to stalk his man. All Tunney really has to do is fight off his back leg and watch the gap, thats what I would do if I were Gene.

Louis was a great counter puncher, problem for him is, if Tunney attacks and goes back leg, Tunney can see what Louis is setting up for.

I will say this for Louis: Tunney proved succesful against two great pressure fighters: Greb and Dempsey. Im not getting into who got the decision... Greb taught him a lesson but he came back strong, and he was superb against Dempsey.

Comment

About as easy to predict as Foreman smashing swarmers like Tyson. Louis loses this one badly.

High IQ movement based boxers who can take a punch spell trouble for him. A guy like Tunney is just amazing with the way he could keep that effective footwork up for so many rounds without losing steam.

Louis wouldn't find him, he has a puncher's chance though. I always felt that Louis does badly in head to head matchups against different era's. A lot of people are too emotional when discussing this great fighter, you can just tell how much the idolism and adoration is affecting their judgement.

Comment

Working...
                    X