Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body." -Jack Dempsey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did get knocked out of the ring by firpo who was very crude. Loughran probably was short of his peak when dempsey was around but a boxer like him would certainly give Jack trouble.

Dont get me wrong and, have nothing against Jack. Hes an iconic fighter its just looking at his career with a cold eye, he doesn't have the chops of a lot of other great heavys. He may have koed wills but l doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by cfang View Post
      He did get knocked out of the ring by firpo who was very crude. Loughran probably was short of his peak when dempsey was around but a boxer like him would certainly give Jack trouble.

Dont get me wrong and, have nothing against Jack. Hes an iconic fighter its just looking at his career with a cold eye, he doesn't have the chops of a lot of other great heavys. He may have koed wills but l doubt it.
      FWIW -- IMHO

Won't argue who wins, but will argue Dempsey-Wills ends in a KO one way or the other -- Wills was not a great boxer, he was a ****er, (and a dirty fighter just like Dempsey.)

Wills-Dempsey in '22 would have been the fight of the century (or at least one of them); but IMO it never goes pass the fourth round. Neither man would have held back and boxed.

Watch Wills-Firpo on YouTube you'll see his lack of finesse (and his dirty fighting.) It's why Langford and Jeannette were able to stay with Wills despite Wills being much larger and a half a generation younger.

My Prediction: Dempsey in four . . . unless Wills knocks him out in the 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
        FWIW -- IMHO

Won't argue who wins, but will argue Dempsey-Wills ends in a KO one way or the other -- Wills was not a great boxer, he was a ****er, (and a dirty fighter just like Dempsey.)

Wills-Dempsey in '22 would have been the fight of the century (or at least one of them); but IMO it never goes pass the fourth round. Neither man would have held back and boxed.

Watch Wills-Firpo on YouTube you'll see his lack of finesse (and his dirty fighting.) It's why Langford and Jeannette were able to stay with Wills despite Wills being much larger and a half a generation younger.

My Prediction: Dempsey in four . . . unless Wills knocks him out in the 2nd.
        Great insight as always, sir!

But one point needs to be made:

Firpo was clearly deflated in that fight. And Wills still couldn't put him away. That was a far cry from the bull that tried to stampede Dempsey, that was a gelding prepared for slaughter.

I really don't know how anyone can look at Wills and Willard and think Wills has the right to hold his jock strap.

unprepared or not, we know how Willard fared in Toledo.

Comment

Originally posted by cfang View Post

When you played football, what was a stiff arm like that called when applied to the receiver?

My one brother used to claim he had an injury that prevented his elbow from bending. Even in Pittsburgh-land that didn't sell. But dammit if he wasn't convincing.

Dempsey was PUSHED out of the ring. Those ropes were so loose they would make Hookers blush straight through their blush.

Dempsey didn't have the best record. But most Heavyweights don't have sterling records. People call Robinson the GOAT. For what? Beating Bobo Olson?

Who was Duran's best win at Lightweight? Buchanan? An Amazing fighter, but he's record is shyte compared to beau jack's, right?

Comment

Never fought a quality big man like those came long after him though. For instance Lewis, Bowe and Fury are giants with almost no torso to speak of, their bodies mostly consist of limbs. They would ruin Dempsey even from closer range.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
              Never fought a quality big man like those came long after him though. For instance Lewis, Bowe and Fury are giants with almost no torso to speak of, their bodies mostly consist of limbs. They would ruin Dempsey even from closer range.
              Lewis got beat by Mercer.

He was backed up by an old Holyfield.

While McCall and Rahman were MASSIVE men with MASSIVE power, they weren't that much taller than Jack. They also weren't particularly good. They stopped Lewis with almost ridiculous ease.

Before commenting on Bowe, maybe revisit the Coetzer fight.

Now, in full disclosure I recognize the gross disparity in size. I'm not going to deny it, but I am also not going to allow you to present it as a defense. The difference in size between Bowe and Coetzer the night he fought Bowe is about the same disparity in size between Coetzer and Dempsey. But remember, Coetzer bulked up from Cruiserweight, and even at 190 pounds had no where near the reputation of a puncher that Dempsey had. Not even close. Yet Bowe needed to resort to ball shots to survive that fight.

Comment

Working...
              X