No announcement yet.

"Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body." -Jack Dempsey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body." -Jack Dempsey

Dempsey is talking to you Anthony Joshua, Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury!!!

Yep.

Body punching is almost a lost art among heavyweights.

Wilder practically doesn't use body shots at all. Tyson Fury to his credit did in their second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
      Dempsey is talking to you Anthony Joshua, Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury!!!
      I'm as big a Dempsey f fan as you'll find here. And I rank fighters of his era higher than most other eras. But no way would I pick Dempsey to beat any of them.

Louis, Liston, Pre-exile Ali, Frazier, Quarry, Norton? Sure, Jack beats them all.

But not guys THIS big.
      Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 05-19-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Quarry yes but Dempsey No? Ridiculous. Dempseys skill set along with his tremendous speed and ko power would allow him to compete in any era. Wilder, as one example, does not know how to fight! Dempsey would obliterate him early and in spectacular fashion. A no contest fight.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          Quarry yes but Dempsey No? Ridiculous. Dempseys skill set along with his tremendous speed and ko power would allow him to compete in any era. Wilder, as one example, does not know how to fight! Dempsey would obliterate him early and in spectacular fashion. A no contest fight.
          I edited the post so it wouldn't be do misleading.

Watch Bowe-Coetzer. The size disparity between Bowe and Coetzer is the same beteeen Coetzer and Dempsey. Wilder is qbout Bowe's size, but longer and solid.

Wilder is 6" taller and 40 lbs. Heavier.... That's like Dempsey fighting Napoles.

Only one of Jacks opponents had a jab like Wilder. He beat Jack both times they fought.

Wilder sustained 7 full rounds of Fury's mayhem before the towel was thrown.

Sure, in the modern era Jack could pack on 40 pounds and get hi-tech Lomachenko training. But that's a lot of "what ifs". I would favor that jack though.

Comment

Who did Dempsey ever fight, let alone obliterate, that was remotely like Wilder?

Comment

I wouldn't pick Quarry, either. But he out-boxed a number of bigger men. He also fought in a much more advanced era, where all fighters were influenced by men like Pep and Tunney (who beat Dempsey).

Quarry also had a lot of pop. It's underappreciated because he was too small for the division. Not a killer like Dempsey, but a a great puncher none the less - Clancy ranked him best, over Griffith, over Foreman, over everyone.

I can see Jack bombing out Frazier. But not Joshua or Wilder.

Comment

Beyond ridiculous. Wilder does not know how to fight. Size when it comes to heavyweight boxing is the last thing to look at. The question is never size or reach but instead the ability to use both vs the opponents ability to neutralize both. Dempsey with his weaving crouch and speed would close the distance within the first 20 seconds on the opening bell. Wilder has no inside game so he would be helpless and would not see round 2 vs prime Dempsey. A low skilled amateur vs a true heavyweight champion rated as a top ten ATG for the last 95 years.

Remember the words of Sam Langford universally considered a pfp ATG to this very day:

“Dempsey is the greatest fighter I have ever seen”.

Jack Sharkey:

“I never knew anyone could hit that hard”.

“He would come at you in a little ball and when he hit you on the shoulder he broke your shoulder. When he hit you to the body it felt as if his fist came out your back. When he hit you on the hip he dislocated your hip”.

Wilder is nothing. A lanky tall hwt with a right hand punch but absolutely void of any other boxing skill.

Comment

Beyond ridiculous. Wilder does not know how to fight. Size when it comes to heavyweight boxing is the last thing to look at. The question is never size or reach but instead the ability to use both vs the opponents ability to neutralize both. Dempsey with his weaving crouch and speed would close the distance within the first 20 seconds on the opening bell. Wilder has no inside game so he would be helpless and would not see round 2 vs prime Dempsey. A low skilled amateur vs a true heavyweight champion rated as a top ten ATG for the last 95 years.

Remember the words of Sam Langford universally considered a pfp ATG to this very day:

“Dempsey is the greatest fighter I have ever seen”.

Jack Sharkey:

“I never knew anyone could hit that hard”.

“He would come at you in a little ball and when he hit you on the shoulder he broke your shoulder. When he hit you to the body it felt as if his fist came out your back. When he hit you on the hip he dislocated your hip”.

Wilder is nothing. A lanky tall hwt with a right hand punch but absolutely void of any other boxing skill.
                  Ask your nurse to loosen your helmet.

Comment

Learn the sport of boxing. You are less than worthless.

Comment

Working...
                    X