No announcement yet.

George Foreman vs Jerry Quarry

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
    Don't you ever think? Why did Quarry duck Midget Wolgast?

In the years that George turned pro, Quarry was KOed by Chuvalo, Ali, Frazier, and Norton.
    Take a look at the Chuvalo fight again if you even watched it.
    Jerry was dominating George and got hit with a sharp right hand and went down. He got up right away and then took a knee to take the eight count.
    You can see he has all his faculties. When he gets up to his feet the Referee waves the fight off and Quarry goes nuts .
    Apparently he lost the count while watching the Referee.

Comment

Styles make fights as said above and I think that this fight would probably be stopped on cuts but both pugilist would have there moments .
      Jerry could really fight and had many years of experience, George was not very well schooled in Those years.
      The problem with Quarry is he boxed when he should’ve fought and fought when he should’ve boxed. I could see Quarry getting hit in the middle rounds and forget about boxing and would just brawl.
      With that said this becomes a bloody mess.
      Foreman wins via TKO in 11

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
        Styles make fights as said above and I think that this fight would probably be stopped on cuts but both pugilist would have there moments .
        Jerry could really fight and had many years of experience, George was not very well schooled in Those years.
        The problem with Quarry is he boxed when he should’ve fought and fought when he should’ve boxed. I could see Quarry getting hit in the middle rounds and forget about boxing and would just brawl.
        With that said this becomes a bloody mess.
        Foreman wins via TKO in 11
        I can't Green K this post. that analysis of Quarry is priceless... Very well said C, very well said.

Quarry and George: lets see?

Both men when it came down to the brass tacks fought on instinct. Both men were taught to refine that instinct. I have always felt that Liston, who taught a lot to George... was the better of the two. Liston fought like an assasin, he measured his man, and always seemed to throw in combinations. Liston used a very basic footwork with incredible punching to become perhaps the best, if not one of the best finishers ever in the division.

George seemed to have learned how to use pivots well from Liston and was also a relentless finisher with a big punch. But unlike Liston George would go caveman... He had such power doing so, and was succesful. Probably hit with more mass than Liston, but not as accurately...Both men had that pole ax jab.

Quarry was tough and liked to fight. He had everything he needed to be a relatively fast, powerful heavyweight. I sort of liken him to Patterson in some respects... Quarry could box when he wanted to do so.

If we are talking best on best? Foreman is too much for Quarry. But if they met when they would have? It would have been a bruising match.

Comment

I'm not sure if Foreman ever said he ducked Quarry but I recall reading an article on Jerry around the time he passed away and Foreman was quoted in the article. Big George was very effusive in his praise and said Jerry was "the best HW to never win a title". I have seen several other quotes from George and he always said something very positive about Jerry's quality in the ring.

As for the fight itself if it were to happen; I would imagine it would be violent and relatively quick in Foreman's favor. Say 4th or 5th round stoppage. Jerry would have his moments early in the firefight with crisp counters but the accumulative effect of Foreman's power would turn it into a brutal and one-sided ending. That's my take but who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
            I'm not sure if Foreman ever said he ducked Quarry but I recall reading an article on Jerry around the time he passed away and Foreman was quoted in the article. Big George was very effusive in his praise and said Jerry was "the best HW to never win a title". I have seen several other quotes from George and he always said something very positive about Jerry's quality in the ring.

As for the fight itself if it were to happen; I would imagine it would be violent and relatively quick in Foreman's favor. Say 4th or 5th round stoppage. Jerry would have his moments early in the firefight with crisp counters but the accumulative effect of Foreman's power would turn it into a brutal and one-sided ending. That's my take but who knows...
            - -George intellect is impenetrable.

In his first and only bio released in January, Quarry mentioned as a potential opponent and no more.

When I discovered George website about 20 yrs ago, then he curiously rated Jerry 2nd under Joe Louis in his all time rankings. George did not rank hisself.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -George intellect is impenetrable...When I discovered George website about 20 yrs ago, then he curiously rated Jerry 2nd under Joe Louis in his all time rankings. George did not rank hisself.
              I wonder why he would always speak of Quarry so highly. I agree that George shouldn't be hosting any Mensa events but there has to be a reason for his favorable take regarding the Bellflower Bomber...

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
                I wonder why he would always speak of Quarry so highly. I agree that George shouldn't be hosting any Mensa events but there has to be a reason for his favorable take regarding the Bellflower Bomber...
                Well PBR I honestly think George would look at Quarry and say, Heck this guy is always in shape and ready to go. He has a great chin and hits the body precisely with left hooks and is a excellent counter puncher. That says it all.
                Now with that said some people would think , Hey George will just walk him down and Cut him up.
                Well what if that don’t work and your spent with your mouth open in the fifth round getting smashed with the left hook to the ribs that KO Ernie Shavers in 1 round.
                Just a thought . And that’s that

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
                  Well PBR I honestly think George would look at Quarry and say, Heck this guy is always in shape and ready to go. He has a great chin and hits the body precisely with left hooks and is a excellent counter puncher. That says it all.
                  Now with that said some people would think , Hey George will just walk him down and Cut him up.
                  Well what if that don’t work and your spent with your mouth open in the fifth round getting smashed with the left hook to the ribs that KO Ernie Shavers in 1 round.
                  Just a thought . And that’s that
                  Good assessment. Thanks!

Comment

i dunno if I would put my money on Jerry, but Foreman's own words and actions tell me who I should be picking.

Foreman is the better Heavyweight, but the more flawed/limited fighter. Jerry looks like he could have exploited that.

Anyway, it sucks Cruiserweight was not a division then. Jerry would have retired as one of Boxing's absolute greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      I can't Green K this post. that analysis of Quarry is priceless... Very well said C, very well said.

Quarry and George: lets see?

Both men when it came down to the brass tacks fought on instinct. Both men were taught to refine that instinct. I have always felt that Liston, who taught a lot to George... was the better of the two. Liston fought like an assasin, he measured his man, and always seemed to throw in combinations. Liston used a very basic footwork with incredible punching to become perhaps the best, if not one of the best finishers ever in the division.

George seemed to have learned how to use pivots well from Liston and was also a relentless finisher with a big punch. But unlike Liston George would go caveman... He had such power doing so, and was succesful. Probably hit with more mass than Liston, but not as accurately...Both men had that pole ax jab.

Quarry was tough and liked to fight. He had everything he needed to be a relatively fast, powerful heavyweight. I sort of liken him to Patterson in some respects... Quarry could box when he wanted to do so.

If we are talking best on best? Foreman is too much for Quarry. But if they met when they would have? It would have been a bruising match.
                      Liston better than Foreman!?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                      X