Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Foreman vs Jerry Quarry

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I dodged him, purposely." - George Foreman.

I wouldn't take that too seriously. George is a nice fellow, and he's from Humble, Texas. He's been good-humored about being "the dope" who got dope-a-dope'd.
    As a commentator he would often act as if some heavyweight Lampley or Merchant was hyping was truly dangerous and someone he wouldn't want to fight.
    It cost George nothing to make Quarry and his family feel good, or to be generous with compliments about others.
    People tend to be turned off by bitter fighters who claim they could beat anyone, or put down somebody they lost to. George didn't just become a grill salesman, he learned to sell himself as a sportsman and to lay back and be his own goodwill ambassador via good nature and humility.

Comment

There are multiple bouts in his early career where George shows off a wonderful jab thrown in bunches. His jab was called the best since Joe Louis during that time.

Lyle was easily outboxed by Quarry and Young. Lyle was a great puncher but his lack of speed spelt doom vs crafty boxers.

Shavers was hurt badly in almost every bout he ever had. Young who could not break an egg had him out on his feet.

Study up!

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        There are multiple bouts in his early career where George shows off a wonderful jab thrown in bunches. His jab was called the best since Joe Louis during that time.
        Oh yeah? Where? At what points?

Against Peralta ever?

Anyone remotely like Quarry?

Lyle was easily outboxed by Quarry and Young. Lyle was a great puncher but his lack of speed spelt doom vs crafty boxers.
        Ahhh, so only one other guy besides Quarry. The division's best-ever spoiler being the other, no less.

Shavers was hurt badly in almost every bout he ever had. Young who could not break an egg had him out on his feet.

Study up!

Young couldn't break an egg!? Too bad no one ever told Foreman that.

He took plenty of shots in his SIX rounds with Lyle. He went the distance with Ali. Holmes needed the better part of 30 rounds to stop him. Ellis couldn't stop him. Most of his stoppage losses were simply due to exhaustion... with him still standing.

How is that a glass chin? Espeically for a guy with limited defense, willing to take any number of punches simply to land one of his own.

I hate embarrassing you, Houdini. You seem like a nice guy. But you do this to yourself, talking out of your ass.

Comment

Rusty... everyone knows that your knowledge base is very limited. What I posted is boxing 101 fully understood by those knowledgeable of the game during that time. I am teaching you for free...take notes.

Comment

Working...
          X