• - -I copped this top 10
    P4p from the Esperanto Society.

1 Jack Dempsey
    2 Sam Langford
    3 Charles Liston
    4 Hector Camacho
    5 Sven Ottke
    6 Ironboy Calderron
    7 Mickey Bey, Floyd's boy so 50x TUE testosterone levels, that'd be an unfair fight.
    8 Pinky Toe Haye, best Brit ever.
    9 Goldenboy, nuff said.

And last but not least in the least-
    10 Fat Andy can eat his weight in tacos daily between fights, so if that ain't p4p I dunno what is!

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      Watching the entire fight it doesn’t appear Gans threw any punches with conviction. The knockdown punches he took all looked like glancing blows with the exception of one. A dive is a tricky thing, and a KO has to look convincing, this one didn’t look so compelling to me. It looks more like he makes the ten count in the last knockdown and the ref calls the fight. Either way, there was a consensus that he took a dive and the video footage doesn’t look like he got hit with blows that were strong enough to drop him so many times.

FWIW, Langford and Blackburn were much larger and hit way harder than McGovern, they couldn’t KO Gans.

and people try and say boxers from that era were better than fighters of the last 50 years...sorry to say but a good amateur would beat those guys on that video.
      No skill just milling that’s all I see

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Could Ali ever run the 100 in 10 sec flat like young Jeff?

Possibly, but against Jeff in 4 oz gloves with no wraps, I give
        you odds on Ali fragile hands breaking on Jeff Thick skull. Could Ali cope with Jeff throwing him around like a rag doll? Could Ali go the 20-40 rds fought then?

Jeff fought out of a crouch with a leaping left hand. Need I remind U of Ali weakness to left hands and/or crouched fighters?
        It wouldn’t go 40, 20 or even five rounds. It would be over in 1 round - a complete blitz by Ali. Jeffries lands 0 punches and gets dropped 6 times en route to the most lopsided HW championship beatdown ever recorded.
        *Note that I have given ample grit and toughness credit to Jeffries for managing to get up 5 times.

PunchStats show that Ali connected at an astonishing 91% connect rate, throwing 52 punches total (more punches than any previous Jeffries opponent ever threw at him in 20 rounds).
        Last edited by NachoMan; 04-18-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
          and people try and say boxers from that era were better than fighters of the last 50 years...sorry to say but a good amateur would beat those guys on that video.
          No skill just milling that’s all I see
          It was the era that ushered in right after this one that fighters evolved into what we know today. 1920’s and since. That was a crossover decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
            It wouldn’t go 40, 20 or even five rounds. It would be over in 1 round - a complete blitz by Ali. Jeffries lands 0 punches and gets dropped 6 times en route to the most lopsided HW championship beatdown ever recorded.
            *Note that I have given ample grit and toughness credit to Jeffries for managing to get up 5 times.

PunchStats show that Ali connected at an astonishing 91% connect rate, throwing 52 punches total (more punches than any previous Jeffries opponent ever threw at him in 20 rounds).
            Your entire round-by-round call is based on Jeffries not showing up.

Ali opens with a lighting combination snapping back Jeff's head. Ali circles and moves in for another, Jeffries bull rushes Ali, they slam chest to chest. Hooking both of Ali's arms Jeffries drives Ali across the ring into a turn buckle (or the ring padding [what year is this happening?]). Before the ref can separate the fighters Jeffries spins and shoves off Ali smacking with a right hand as they break. Ali dances away, mugging at Jeffries. . . .

Ok, now Jeffries is in the fight, you pick it up from here.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Lol, I don't know boxing? That's rich coming from the Yahoo who rates Fury the greatest heavyweight of all time. I'm tired of wasting time with you. You're a troll, and I'm done even trying to have a logical conversation with you. You have NOTHING for me or anyone else in this section.
              Man, I've only read a handful of your posts, but you bang the same beat over and over. You thump your chest as some self-proclaimed expert on boxing, but prove yourself to be entirely incapable of arguing your point. Anybody who disagrees with you is called a "troll" who should be kicked off the forum. The guy answered you with a reasoned, clearly written reply and you just wave your hands like a woman again and declare that you're done and that nobody else should talk to him either. Fcking girly man.
              Last edited by NachoMan; 04-18-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                You evaluate a fighter's greatness by comparing him to his peers.

You can try to compare fighters from different eras; if one does, it is the supposed (or at least should be) that if the fighter moves forward or back in time he will physically change relative to period moved into; and gain or lose technique based on the state of the game at that time.

As it is suggested above regarding Corbett circa 1866 or 1966.

You don't expect Caesar to lead and win a WWII tank battle - but somehow put him in the Class of 1915 at West Point (The class the stars fell on) and all that potential will measure up. A great general, is a great general.

With that said, comparing HW across time just seems less legitimate than say comparing MWs. I believe MW only changed by five pounds (from 155 to 160) since its conception, but of course you still have to throw in advancements/innovations in training, nutrition, and technique.

But when one makes a list of ATG, and one says this fighter is number one, that assessment is made by comparing him against his peers.
                Boy, you are twisting and flexing this thing in every single direction now. Like I already said, you are creating completely different fighters by ASSUMING they would be better or worse if the fight took place in one or the other guy's era. Jim Jeffries does not suddenly get Muhammad Ali's skills and athleticism just because you match them up hypothetically in 1966. Muhammad Ali doesn't suddenly lose the ability to slip a damn jab just because you imagine the fight taking place in 1905. This whole ATG P4P is fantasy, but, come on, there are limits to how much made-up bs can be injected into this, right? You guys keep digressing with silly analogies to war generals (wtf?), baseball pitchers, etc. for a very good reason - because your logic doesn't hold up in boxing. We are talking about putting two guys in a ring, with ropes, both guys wearing gloves (pick the size), a mouthpiece and a ref to keep them honest. Not much has really changed. Stop making this whole thing unnecessarily complicated.
                Last edited by NachoMan; 04-18-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Man, I've only read a handful of your posts, but you bang the same beat over and over. You thump your chest as some self-proclaimed expert on boxing, but prove yourself to be entirely incapable of arguing your point. Anybody who disagrees with you is called a "troll" who should be kicked off the forum. The guy answered you with a reasoned, clearly written reply and you just wave your hands like a woman again and declare that you're done and that nobody else should talk him either. Fcking girly man.
                  Nah, I'm no expert. Just a longtime can who has studied boxings history. If you knew half of what you think you know, you would have figured out that Rusty is indeed a troll. I'm not going to keep going in circles with him. But who exactly are all these people I disagree with that I'm trying to get kicked off the forum? This should be interesting!

Now, would you like to talk boxing or are you going to keep ranting like an internet tough guy?

Comment

- -U sir, qualify as a boxing expert.

Spritely now, git thee straight away to apply for the Fat Dan 2.0 position at Espn as an expert's expert among boxing experts.

Lucre and banquets of a lifetime awaits thee!

Comment

• nice post dude

Comment

Working...
                      X