This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    It’s a P4P list, not a HW list. Langford was also ranked higher in case you forgot he too fought at HW.
    - -It's a decent list, but I'd definitely include Sal Sanchez over one of your lessors at least.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
      your a wanker tromboner and only you thing you do is trombone a public toilet cottager....as I said fury is nowhere near an all time great yet....what planet are you on lol
      All time greats have the George foreman’s , listons, Frazier , Holyfields and Tyson’s on them ....not just a 40 year old klitchcko and a Derek chisora...get a grip tromboner before I slap some sense back in to you ffs
      Dude, I went off too hard on you. I apologize. Let's dial it back.

Starting with simple questions:

What was Liston's best win?
      Would Fury lose to Leotis Martin or Cassius Clay?

What was Foreman's best win?
      Would Fury lose to Ali in Zaire, or to Jimmy Young?
      Is Fury not much larger and more skilled defensively than Jerry Quarry (whom Foreman admits to have ducked)?

Frazier: best win? Does Fury lose to Ali or Foreman?

Holyfield: Best win? Does Fury lose to Bowe or Moorer?

Tyson: Best win? Does Fury lose to Douglas?

Say what you will about Wlad, Wilder and Wallin
      ... that's a better set of scalps than any other Heavyweight has ever had.

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
      So the best heavyweight all time is Jack Dempsey? Not Joe Louis, not Ali, not Larry Holmes, not Lennox Lewis?

Did Dempsey ever lose in his prime? The fighters you listed all did.

Anyway... Ghost answered this question well. But I do think it's an interesting question worth addressing. P4P Lists can encompass a lot of factors which divisional lists don't.

I personally have many fighters at the top of my p4p list whom i don't rank highly in ANY divisional list - their careers just didn't neatly fit into a single weight class.

Again, not trying to answer for Ghost, but Dempsey's rise to champion is part of his greatness. Completely different reality than modern coddled fighters. And he really revolutionized the sport.

Comment

1. Langford
        2. Greb
        3. Robinson
        4. Armstrong
        5. Charles
        6. Pep
        7. B. Leonard
        8. Duran
        9. Gans
        10. Moore
        11. Walker
        12. R. Leonard
        13. Ross
        14. Mayweather
        15. Conn
        16. Canzoneri
        17. Jones
        18. Pacquiao
        19. Monzon
        20. Tunney
        Last edited by JAB5239; 04-16-2020, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          1. Langford
          2. Greb
          3. Robinson
          4. Armstrong
          5. Charles
          6. Pep
          7. B. Leonard
          8. Duran
          9. Gans
          10. Moore
          11. Walker
          12. R. Leonard
          13. Ross
          14. Mayweather
          15. Conn
          16. Canzoneri
          17. Jones
          18. Pacquiao
          19. Monzon
          20. Tunney
          No heavies Jab?

I like you having the top 3 lws there and close at that. I wouldn’t have Floyd and pac on the list myself.

Comment

How the fook does anyone put Sam "Baby Kimbo" Langford in top slot?

Or rank Charles over Conn?

Or rank Gans over McGovern?

I wish people would only post lists of people they've watched and researched.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              . I wouldn’t have Floyd and pac on the list myself.
              Why not?

A P4P list is about the BEST fighters of all time, if size weren't a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                Why not?

A P4P list is about the BEST fighters of all time, if size weren't a concern.
                He doesn’t have the resume. I know you judge fighters like Greb via your mythical “eyetest”. I put my major emphasis on resumes.

Comment

No heavies Jab?

I like you having the top 3 lws there and close at that. I wouldn’t have Floyd and pac on the list myself.
                  I haven't done a p4p list in a long time. When I was more active I never put heavyweights on my lists.......I don't even know why anymore. I found myself questioning that while throwing this list together last night though. I may do another list today if I can find the time between home schooling my kids and include heavyweights. A top 10 was easy for me, but I found myself struggling after 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                    How the fook does anyone put Sam "Baby Kimbo" Langford in top slot?

Or rank Charles over Conn?

Or rank Gans over McGovern?

I wish people would only post lists of people they've watched and researched.
                    What fighter ever hear more ATG's over as many weights? In my opinion Langford defines "p4p". I don't really expect you to have a serious and logical discussion about that though.

Comment

He doesn’t have the resume. I know you judge fighters like Greb via your mythical “eyetest”. I put my major emphasis on resumes.
                      Usi g the "eye test" alone shows a real lack of boxing knowledge considering how much film has evolved over the last 100 years. It also gives the impression that one simply doesn't believe newspaper articles, or the words of trainer and fighters from the past.

Comment

Working...
                      X