No announcement yet.

Is the Age of the Freak Match Here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Your all over the place... referring to many different things... The moneyball guys came out of the A's organization, not all of them but a lot of them...The original stat that was challenged had to do with trying to make "clutch hitting" statistically valid. I agree with the conclusion came to: namely that on base percentage was a great indication for clutch hitting performance.

This is one of many, the challenge was to make statistics relevant to performance outcomes...What this has to do with shorty Mcgraw, who was a sociopath BTW and how he managed shows your disorganized mind. Billy Martin would out manage most... One of the best baseball minds, and scrappy!

And again who knows what you are on about...A reliever has a different role but as usual you give a paucity of information and expect people to know where your rambling is going.

REgarding TEd Williams...indeed one of the best natural hitters, maybe the best. Rod Carew was also one of the best natural hitters but not like Williams.
    - -Ted the 3rd best run producer per out made in history. Babe and Lou 1 and 2.

Stick to boxing where occasionally you can nail your jello to a tree.

Bill James is the impetus for the Money Fraud ninnies and others of today and he had his inspiration from the decades of innovators before him.

Boxing has no such history of recording stats though Boxrec has been 20 yrs compiling boxing records of disparate fighters into a single massive database. They've also been struggling to to establish a credible current and all time rating system that will be decades more in the making.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Ted the 3rd best run producer per out made in history. Babe and Lou 1 and 2.

Stick to boxing where occasionally you can nail your jello to a tree.

Bill James is the impetus for the Money Fraud ninnies and others of today and he had his inspiration from the decades of innovators before him.

Boxing has no such history of recording stats though Boxrec has been 20 yrs compiling boxing records of disparate fighters into a single massive database. They've also been struggling to to establish a credible current and all time rating system that will be decades more in the making.
      Dude you should take your own advice, there is a lot more to it than one stat... and how come whenever you obfiscate a problem or try to simplify it it is to be a nincompoop?

I happen to know a lot about baseball and have a sense of how silly you sound...keep that in mind if you can keep anything in that mind of yours besides the tinfoil hat templates.

Comment

Dude you should take your own advice, there is a lot more to it than one stat... and how come whenever you obfiscate a problem or try to simplify it it is to be a nincompoop?

I happen to know a lot about baseball and have a sense of how silly you sound...keep that in mind if you can keep anything in that mind of yours besides the tinfoil hat templates.

- -You may know a lot about baseball, but you have yet to display it.

Seem to know a little about boxing, but not much put together with any coherency.

Shame Bill James ain't here so I could have some real fun. He does basketball and football theories now in use and an amateur unsolved murder sleuth. No doubt he have you eating out of his hand over boxing , after all , he was a high school math teacher!

Comment

- -You may know a lot about baseball, but you have yet to display it.

Seem to know a little about boxing, but not much put together with any coherency.

Shame Bill James ain't here so I could have some real fun. He does basketball and football theories now in use and an amateur unsolved murder sleuth. No doubt he have you eating out of his hand over boxing , after all , he was a high school math teacher!
          The point is your digressions not my alleged understanding. I never said anything about Bill James... I was talking about how using proper statistical models can make a team stronger...and as I always do, I gave an example. There were bright baseball guys working on these models in the A's organization...Thats a fact.

You tend to come in with a splatter pattern of random information, then throw enough crap on the wall...and say "look it sticks!" You seldom give examples, and you always try to make others think they should know what you are talking about...

Earth to Queenie: You are not getting through and no not everyone but you is crazy my friend.

I mentioned the A's who during the late 60's and early 70's won back to back world series...Excellent team, didn't even have superstars en masse compaired to many other great teams...Won playing smart.

Its not all about run production Queenie. It has a lot to do with that nebulous definition we call "Clutch." The ability to get a hit when it really matters.

Grew up a Yankees fan... The best world series I ever saw was between the Red Sox and the Reds in 1977 (I believe?). Two great teams...The REds were a little better. Great series. I would put any team in history against that Red's team...I hated them lol but damn they were the real deal.
          Last edited by billeau2; 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

- -Sweetie dearie, Bill James nor any advanced BB stat manipulations weren't even around then, and then they were slow to take hold, like not until the 3rd millennium.

Charlie Finley was owner of the As in your time frame, and yeah, after wrecking the team he got some old line baseball guys in who developed their minor farm team such that it began to produce the future stars along with smarter horse trading for experienced players, no different than what Branch Rickey did for the Cards in the 30s.

Well, I hope that's not too much for your grade school expertise. And how did the As win?

Ask the scoreboard that never knows the player heroes and zeroes. Ask me if you want the best player run production for that series they won.

Could be the best was on the losing team with no support, but he would still be the best individual that would be sign the team needs better support for next year.

Comment

The punchingest baseball player ever was who?

Comment

- -Sweetie dearie, Bill James nor any advanced BB stat manipulations weren't even around then, and then they were slow to take hold, like not until the 3rd millennium.

Charlie Finley was owner of the As in your time frame, and yeah, after wrecking the team he got some old line baseball guys in who developed their minor farm team such that it began to produce the future stars along with smarter horse trading for experienced players, no different than what Branch Rickey did for the Cards in the 30s.

Well, I hope that's not too much for your grade school expertise. And how did the As win?

Ask the scoreboard that never knows the player heroes and zeroes. Ask me if you want the best player run production for that series they won.

Could be the best was on the losing team with no support, but he would still be the best individual that would be sign the team needs better support for next year.
                The bolded part: Have you ever wondered why the teams that often win, especially since free agency are not the best teams statistically? It happens a lot. its almost a crap shoot in the world series. Think about it.

Think it through ok? The Royals won a world series off of the hot street of Steve Balboni... a first baseman with an average that year of under 200.

Your an idiot, do you see why?

prolly not

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Don Mattingly

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    - -Ty Cobb came up from Georgia as an 18 yr old who just buried his Senator father after a family tragedy.

The Detroit team leaders sawed up his self made bats crafted on his neighbors lathe.

MLB was exclusively Full Yankee in their formation years and didn't cotton to young southern boys, so the next year he had a knock down, drag out in his hotel suite with the catcher, Charlie Schmidt, the toughest man in baseball who once fought an exhibition with Jack Johnson. Young Ty lost the battle to prove his mettle to become the greatest player of his era until Babe entered.

Ty prob had 200+ fights on and off the field and 98% were against his white race. The few against blacks were tabloid racial events by the Yankee press. His last fight came a few years before he died in his 70s. He was a gentleman in that company, but any breaching his etiquette got stomped.

Billy Martin#2 140-160 lbs depending on his age and state of alcoholism specialized in KOing Big Guys on and off the field. Never lost a fight that made the news and actually got an offer to turn pro.

Eddie Mathews was the enforcer for the Brave looked like a choir boy, but whooped Jackie and Frank Robinson and Don Drysdale on the field as his biggest scalps.

Babe got into plenty, but most all were draws, not a natural fighter but rather a lover no one but Wilt Chamberlain coul match.

Comment

The bolded part: Have you ever wondered why the teams that often win, especially since free agency are not the best teams statistically? It happens a lot. its almost a crap shoot in the world series. Think about it.

Think it through ok? The Royals won a world series off of the hot street of Steve Balboni... a first baseman with an average that year of under 200.

Your an idiot, do you see why?

prolly not
                      - -What grade you in?

The best run production on a game by game basis wins the series.

Give me your candyboy year in question and tell who were the most valuable players.

I'll crunch the run production % for a smack down!

Stay tuned boys, this is gonna git good!

Comment

Working...
                      X