No announcement yet.

Best boxers of WASP heritage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
    Ohhh so you are basing it on their surnames for the african american fighters? But couldnt those british surnames be inherrited from enforced slavery?
    Are you blind? Serious question. The only thing that explains anything you have said would be that you haven't seen the people you are discussing.

Comment

While I appreciate the trawling... the real answer has to be Jeffries, right?

Mitchell, McCoy, Tommy Ryan (not his real name), Pal Moore, and Lew Jenkins were all great, too, I am sure.

Guys like Minter, Hatton, Tommy Morrison aren't really ATGs by any measure.

Pretty much when you run the world, you aren't worried about Boxing. not competing in it, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
        yeah, or Zoroastrians.

Have you never been to Boston?
        I live in Boston now. I think the term WASP is being taken too literally here by some. Generally, it refers to preppy type white people who wear boat shoes and sweaters around their necks and name their kids Chad and Jacqueline. The Kennedy’s were the original Irish “WASPs”.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          I live in Boston now. I think the term WASP is being taken too literally here by some. Generally, it refers to preppy type white people who wear boat shoes and sweaters around their necks and name their kids Chad and Jacqueline. The Kennedy’s were the original Irish “WASPs”.

Paul Pendler and Jack Sharkey were anything BUT Boston Brahmins calling them as much would have either illicited laughter or sparked a fight.

If there's any group that has done more to take on and takedown the WASP culture of America it was people like Pendlar, Sharkey, Greb, etc. They were kicked around worse than anyone, but they rose to the top just the same. And they made it possible for other groups who had been "kept out" to enter the playing field too.

I have to say. I usually get my entertainment from the goons in the General Forum. I respect you gentlemen very much. But this might be the most comical thread I've seen on Boxingscene. These fighters are spinning in their graves. Don't be shocked if their ghosts come to haunt you.

If I wanted to started a rumor that Martin Luther King were actually a Klansman and Rosa Parks was in Hitler's SS, I would start it here. I know it would take off like wildfire.

Comment

We get into a situation where we are using a tribal designation in a society that has no concept of tribal division. If you go to South Africa and you have a conversation with a Black individual they would, for the sake of many pan-African causes relate to being "Black." But if you spoke with them long enough you would learn that they relate as tribesman...Bantu for example... Their identity, how they see oneself is as a member of one of these tribes.

WASP is orignally a tribal designation from Europe with roots in Germania and the British Isles. It was used/ appropriated in the United States to refer to upper middle class white protestants...Probably because white English protestants in this country have many classes...Archie Bunker for example, and the rich English guy who makes Martinis. Germans never developed such a structure in this country and would more often than not be referred to by other names like: "Pennsylvania Dutch," etc.

in point of fact, WASP is a term that came from Europe when Europe was tribal and not concerned with state borders. hence, for a Wasp to be Germanic, even Scandinavian, or English was not strange...WASPS were in all those places. Even an English Episcopalian would be considered a WASP by some I think...

So the term is appropriated and has no logic, anymore than calling Italians Romans, calling Israeli born Jews Hebrews, all of which can be done, but are not used. The real reason why the term was used was probably because: After the Nativists fought the revolutionary war, and were hating on the Irish and other immigrants...much time passed. So how did one colloquially term a white person when one discussed the jews, the Blacks, the Puerto Ricans, Chinese Irish, etc and... as Archie Bunker said, "the regular American."

Was the regular American a nativist? that was dated in 1950's America lol, many wars had passed since independence... was he a white guy? well yeah, but in those days people were called "negro, and Spanish and Latin and German and British ... So what did we call the white guy in America? WASP stuck. For all practical purposes it was Archie Bunker's "regular American" lol.

im being funny about that term... I don't believe in a regular American lol.
            Last edited by billeau2; 06-09-2019, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
              Some names that come to mind are:

Jimmy Wilde
              Harry Greb- I think he counts
              Joe Calzaghe
              Bob Fitzsimmons
              Freddie Steele

Not knowing how loose of a definition we are using but I imagine you can count French and German fighters too (Cerdan, Schmelling, etc).
              calzaghe is italian you clown

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                We get into a situation where we are using a tribal designation in a society that has no concept of tribal division. If you go to South Africa and you have a conversation with a Black individual they would, for the sake of many pan-African causes relate to being "Black." But if you spoke with them long enough you would learn that they relate as tribesman...Bantu for example... Their identity, how they see oneself is as a member of one of these tribes.

WASP is orignally a tribal designation from Europe with roots in Germania and the British Isles. It was used/ appropriated in the United States to refer to upper middle class white protestants...Probably because white English protestants in this country have many classes...Archie Bunker for example, and the rich English guy who makes Martinis. Germans never developed such a structure in this country and would more often than not be referred to by other names like: "Pennsylvania Dutch," etc.

in point of fact, WASP is a term that came from Europe when Europe was tribal and not concerned with state borders. hence, for a Wasp to be Germanic, even Scandinavian, or English was not strange...WASPS were in all those places. Even an English Episcopalian would be considered a WASP by some I think...

So the term is appropriated and has no logic, anymore than calling Italians Romans, calling Israeli born Jews Hebrews, all of which can be done, but are not used. The real reason why the term was used was probably because: After the Nativists fought the revolutionary war, and were hating on the Irish and other immigrants...much time passed. So how did one colloquially term a white person when one discussed the jews, the Blacks, the Puerto Ricans, Chinese Irish, etc and... as Archie Bunker said, "the regular American."

Was the regular American a nativist? that was dated in 1950's America lol, many wars had passed since independence... was he a white guy? well yeah, but in those days people were called "negro, and Spanish and Latin and German and British ... So what did we call the white guy in America? WASP stuck. For all practical purposes it was Archie Bunker's "regular American" lol.

im being funny about that term... I don't believe in a regular American lol.
                what the hell is this nonsense rambling gibberish kid???

Comment

- -As predicted, thread pretty much a farce.

Terminology of WASP fell out of favor eons ago, almost exclusively restricted to various scholarly ruminations by ivory tower eggheads.

None of whom post here.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -As predicted, thread pretty much a farce.

Terminology of WASP fell out of favor eons ago, almost exclusively restricted to various scholarly ruminations by ivory tower eggheads.

None of whom post here.
                    Yes it is not used, fell out of favor, for a reason... Queen Bee even before World War one, Europe was far less nationalistic vis a vis concerning which state one came from. When Murica became a country, the nativists in this country were looked upon by Europe, kinda like the Australians were looked upon. H.L. Menkein wrote a tome showing through language/linguistic information, that American accents and grammatical convention followed perfectly logical principles and was no "worse" than any other parlance used in England.

Intersting fact: Martin Bernal years later, came into Egyptology from Chinese studies was rebuked by the Brits and went on to prove through similar proofs (initially, his best work) that Egypt was a polymorphous, African society.

Anyway, I digress... Through time and through some of the greatest legal immigrants to ever grace a country, America overcame this division. And people took their culture, their ways, not their tribal affiliations to represent them. So it is dated to refer to a WASP, but it was put into common usage to describe an ethnic identity. And yes this is a fallacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Luccio View Post
                      what the hell is this nonsense rambling gibberish kid???
                      I have never challenged anyone on this forum to an encounter but I promise you this...Find me the s0n of a b1tch that made you have to read through something that did not interest you, show me the twisted joints he applied pressure to, when forcing your eyes upon....and I will track him down and teach him a lesson.

Comment

Working...
                      X