No announcement yet.

Best boxers of WASP heritage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
    Most Americans are of mixed bloodlines making them the most disputatious and warlike of the modern nations.

Watch out for the son of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle! In 20 years, he's gonna be one hell of a fighter!

Comment

If you are referring to WASPs as we know them in America, I would say Lew Jenkins, Jack Sharkey, Gene Fullmer, Paul Pender, Jason Litzau, not sure what their religious affiliations were though.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
        Some names that come to mind are:

Jimmy Wilde
        Harry Greb- I think he counts
        Joe Calzaghe
        Bob Fitzsimmons
        Freddie Steele

Not knowing how loose of a definition we are using but I imagine you can count French and German fighters too (Cerdan, Schmelling, etc).
        Marcel Cerdan!?!!?!?

Schmeling!?!?!?

Fitz and Greb are just as egregious.

Again, Robinson, Ali and Charles have better claim to WASP heritage than they do.
        Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 06-08-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
          Anglo-Saxon is specifically just from UK.

Greb’s parents were German immigrants.

Calzaghe would be half. His dad was born in Italy. You can add Jim Driscoll, Freddie Welsh, Ken Buchanan, Benny Lynch, Owen Moran.
          No. Greb's mother was from County Cork. He grew up in an Irish Parish in Bloomsfield Pittsburgh (where there was as many or more German parishes). Most of all, he considered himself Irish. He's pretty much the definition of what WASP is not.

Lynch is indisputably Scottish. If not ethnically, Scottish, then Irish.

Buchanan is even more conspicuously Scottish. (He wore his clan's tartan on his shorts - kinda hard to miss).

Dirscoll was clearly Irish.

Moran was most likely Irish.

Freddie Welsh was...... wait for it...... Welsh. If you wanna lump that in, OK. But I am pretty sure they have their own country for a reason. I would actually suspect Jim Jeffries (the definition of WASP) was also of Welsh extraction.
          Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 06-08-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            If you are referring to WASPs as we know them in America, I would say Lew Jenkins, Jack Sharkey, Gene Fullmer, Paul Pender, Jason Litzau, not sure what their religious affiliations were though.
            Sharkey was Lithuanian. Pendler Irish. Definitely not WASP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
              Sharkey was Lithuanian. Pendler Irish. Definitely not WASP.
              They still could have been protestant.

Comment

Marcel Cerdan!?!!?!?

Schmeling!?!?!?

Fitz and Greb are just as egregious.

Again, Robinson, Ali and Charles have better claim to WASP heritage than they do.
                WASP- White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

Anglo Saxons were a Germanic tribe that colonized western europe shortly after the fall of rome. As such i think counting someone of German heritage would be fair- as would any western european not from a distinctly catholic nation.

How is Ali moreso than the others? Or was that just sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
                  WASP- White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

Anglo Saxons were a Germanic tribe that colonized western europe shortly after the fall of rome. As such i think counting someone of German heritage would be fair- as would any western european not from a distinctly catholic nation.

How is Ali moreso than the others? Or was that just sarcasm?
                  We all know that's not what it means. If that were the case, people would just use another word. You know, "European".

WASP means British Protestant (typically livining in America). Sure, it doesn't have to be someone of exclusively English or Anglo-Scots heritage, but definitely predominantly so.

I don't know how you in anyway could think that applies to someone who is not a British Protestant.

I feel like you're justtrolling us. Calling one of thse 4 guys a WASP would be a great way of getting your ass kicked. At first they might laugh histerically, but when they found out you were serious things would get ugly.

Again: Cassius CLAY, Ezzard CHARLES, Henry ARMSTRONG, Mike TYSON.... something about being of british extraction and born protestant tells me they are better claimants of being WASPs. Obviously they aren't themselves WASPs because at least one woman in their family was Black. But at least they actually have WASP blood. You kinda need to be a WASP to be called a WASP.

Maybe you and your parents have different interests. Maybe you can find unrelated people who have the same interests your parents do. Does that make them more like your parents than you are? No. Because your parents MADE you.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    They still could have been protestant.
                    yeah, or Zoroastrians.

Have you never been to Boston?

Comment

We all know that's not what it means. If that were the case, people would just use another word. You know, "European".

WASP means British Protestant (typically livining in America). Sure, it doesn't have to be someone of exclusively English or Anglo-Scots heritage, but definitely predominantly so.

I don't know how you in anyway could think that applies to someone who is not a British Protestant.

I feel like you're justtrolling us. Calling one of thse 4 guys a WASP would be a great way of getting your ass kicked. At first they might laugh histerically, but when they found out you were serious things would get ugly.

Again: Cassius CLAY, Ezzard CHARLES, Henry ARMSTRONG, Mike TYSON.... something about being of british extraction and born protestant tells me they are better claimants of being WASPs. Obviously they aren't themselves WASPs because at least one woman in their family was Black. But at least they actually have WASP blood. You kinda need to be a WASP to be called a WASP.

Maybe you and your parents have different interests. Maybe you can find unrelated people who have the same interests your parents do. Does that make them more like your parents than you are? No. Because your parents MADE you.
                      Ohhh so you are basing it on their surnames for the african american fighters? But couldnt those british surnames be inherrited from enforced slavery?

Comment

Working...
                      X