No announcement yet.

The Lomachenko Step-Around

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    And to think, after this loss he still worked his way to a pay-per-view fight with De La Hoya and went the distance.
    And very late on he had wins over (albeit a very faded) Duran twice and Leonard.

The second Duran fight was embarrassing, they both had the body of a Florida tourist.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
      And very late on he had wins over (albeit a very faded) Duran twice and Leonard.

The second Duran fight was embarrassing, they both had the body of a Florida tourist.
      Leonard fight was a joke. Ray looked so damn old.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Leonard fight was a joke. Ray looked so damn old.
        41 is old for a fighter, especially for lightweight fighters who are suppose to be about speed. Camacho was six years younger and it showed. Plus Leonard was coming off an eight year lay-off, wonder why he took the fight to begin with.

Comment

Leonard didn't do his legacy any good with some of those late fights. Even after Robinson was more shot than that no one could KO him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            The Walcott walk-away I have never heard before. I just coined it. The move always needed a name anyway, Joe's name had to be in it.

Same with Lomachenko's step-around--his name had to be in it. Others have used it to some degree before. But both Mayweather and Pep only used it to scoot around to the back of their opponent like a standing doggie style, so the ref would then step in and break them up and they could start clean again. Lomachenko uses the halfway position to punch his man from the side. This is innovative. I cannot think of anyone before him who performs this move as easily as a jab. For decades in my mind I saw someone who was fast enough doing this. I wondered why the few guys who were fast enough never tried it, and certainly never developed it. Well, then someone came along.

The Lomachenko Step-Around.
            It's called the Jersey Joe Walk Off. Old timers from the game will tell you that.

Plenty of fighters side step like Lomachenko. It has nothing to do with him. Thats like giving Floyd credit for inventing the check-hook which he didn't.

Comment

James J. Corbett claims he invented the left hook. Claims it was an adjustment, mid-fight, to a hurt hand (or shoulder, or something).

Hey, I'm not saying it's true; I'm not vouching for the man, I barely knew him, but he said it.

Comment

--- Hooks have been around since all of mankind first learned to make a fist.

The only punches invented are the jab, straight right or left dependent on stance, and uppercut.

My 2 yr old son saw his 3 yr old brother was going to enter the bakery before his brother. He sprinted to make it first, spun around and unleashed a whirlwind flurry that would put SRLeonard to shame as his brother ducked, all spontaneously derived as neither had ever seen a boxing match or been in a fight.

Comment

This is not really a defense of Corbett's claim; the man had a very big ego.

Yes, likely quite so, no one invented the hook it is a natural punch to throw, but you have to figure that in the pre-glove era a fighter couldn't risk trowing a hook.

Just about any punch where you roll your shoulder and let lose with a whipping action puts you at risk of banging the punch off your opponent's head. Which of course in bare knuckle fighting is a no go (a career ended).

I suspect that if we could find film of bare knuckle fights we would see no hooks, overhand rights, or even jabs (as we know them) because the risk of hitting your opponent's head was too great.

When reading the BK contemporary accounts, there are no hooks mentioned. What you do run across is a lot of 'neck shots.' Necks and the body were popular soft targets. (Guessing) I suspect that most BK punches must have looked karate like. Very short, very straight, targeted punches. You just couldn't risk a near miss; you aim for the nose you better hit the nose, not the forehead.

So I agree, no one invented the hook, (it is a natural punch to throw,) but once gloves appeared fighters could now add the hook to their arsenal without fear of cracking their hands, and maybe, just maybe Corbett was one of the first to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                    It's called the Jersey Joe Walk Off. Old timers from the game will tell you that.

Plenty of fighters side step like Lomachenko. It has nothing to do with him. Thats like giving Floyd credit for inventing the check-hook which he didn't.
                    Put did Floyd invent the Mayweather shoulder roll?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                      Who shoved a stick up your ass? ****ing ******* internet tough guy...

https://streamable.com/l6b3m
                      Your mother or father or whoever taught you respect drooped the ball

Respect your elders

Comment

Working...
                      X