Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lomachenko Step-Around

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopkins had a stutter step move in which he'd feint like he was gonna jump in and jumped to the side. He said he got it from Michael Spinks. he did it in his older mw fights during the 90s

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Taking a step is not new in boxing. Duh! But sometimes the way you take them might be. Once in a while a move is so identified with a fighter that his name must be included in the name of the move. An additional really good example is the Walcott Walk-Away. The Starling Stomp was another good example. How about the Ali Shuffle?

The Walcott walk-away I have never heard before. I just coined it. The move always needed a name anyway, Joe's name had to be in it.

Same with Lomachenko's step-around--his name had to be in it. Others have used it to some degree before. But both Mayweather and Pep only used it to scoot around to the back of their opponent like a standing doggie style, so the ref would then step in and break them up and they could start clean again. Lomachenko uses the halfway position to punch his man from the side. This is innovative. I cannot think of anyone before him who performs this move as easily as a jab. For decades in my mind I saw someone who was fast enough doing this. I wondered why the few guys who were fast enough never tried it, and certainly never developed it. Well, then someone came along.

The Lomachenko Step-Around.
      It's actually a pretty common move. Advanced but common. Coach was working with one of his pro fighters whose 4-0 on mitts/body protector and I saw him doing that exact thing.

Mike Tyson frequently did it as well.

Comment

By step around do you mean how he just does a normal pivot ?

Comment

Who’s step around...?

Last edited by Tom Cruise; 05-24-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Isn’t the ‘Walcott walkaway’ called the cake walk already?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              --- Young Hector Camacho had his "street" moves with more impromptu variations than Loma has.

Loma has respect for the game and ain't trying to clown you like Camacho was. Shame he never realized his potential because of drugs.

Young Hector vs seasoned Loma would be an aficionado fight for the ages. At 130 Hector had some pop too.
              Love Loma, but I hate how you guys idealize the fighters you like as if they were these pure models of virtue.

Loma was a complete @ss against Sosa. He can be very arrogant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                It's actually a pretty common move. Advanced but common. Coach was working with one of his pro fighters whose 4-0 on mitts/body protector and I saw him doing that exact thing.

Mike Tyson frequently did it as well.
                You would have to show me evidence, which almost surely you do not have. I do not believe anyone else is doing it Chenko's way.

You can't read. You mouth the words of a post then go ahead and say your first impression anyway.

Taking a step is not new in boxing Duh! But sometimes the way you take them can be.

A pivot is not new either. But no one else is doing it Chenko's way, or has consistently that I have ever seen. Pep and Mayweather got behind opponents, but did not punch them from there. It is possible to get completely behind an opponent yet strike them in the front of the face. It should not be illegal to do so. This is another move I am waiting for, and Chenko is fast enough to do it! We may see it from him yet.

If you have some evidence, it is called footage, soon. I have watched them all over the years and if anyone performed this move the way Chenko is doing it, it was no more than a one-off for them.

Mike Tyson did not punch from a 90 degree angle.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                  Love Loma, but I hate how you guys idealize the fighters you like as if they were these pure models of virtue.

Loma was a complete @ss against Sosa. He can be very arrogant.
                  --- Maybe sorta, but no where near the showmanship of 130 Hector who used to spin guys like they were tops before popping them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    Who’s step around...?

https://youtu.be/3ogsB0zxKDI

The Lomachenko step-around.

Thank you, lad, for proving my point so well.

The angle of a conventional step-around or pivot is acute, usually no more than 10 or 15 degrees. Chenko's right angle step-around is rather unique as a practiced move in the history of boxing, says a lifetime of watching boxing. There is no reason he has to even stop there--he could go slightly obtuse and still be legal with his punches. Kayoing your man from about a 115 degree angle!!! I do not think boxing has seen that one yet.

If Chenko is not the first to routinely employ the right angle step around, then it has been an awful long time since boxing has seen it--beyond my own lifetime. Not only that--it has been a closely held secret kept out of films successfully.

I could be wrong, but I do not think so this time. Others have remained acute with their step-around, Chenko has gone right angle to find punching room and strike from a blind spot.
                    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 05-23-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      You would have to show me evidence, which almost surely you do not have. I do not believe anyone else is doing it Chenko's way.

You can't read. You mouth the words of a post then go ahead and say your first impression anyway.

Taking a step is not new in boxing Duh! But sometimes the way you take them can be.

A pivot is not new either. But no one else is doing it Chenko's way, or has consistently that I have ever seen. Pep and Mayweather got behind opponents, but did not punch them from there. It is possible to get completely behind an opponent yet strike them in the front of the face. It should not be illegal to do so. This is another move I am waiting for, and Chenko is fast enough to do it! We may see it from him yet.

If you have some evidence, it is called footage, soon. I have watched them all over the years and if anyone performed this move the way Chenko is doing it, it was no more than a one-off for them.

Mike Tyson did not punch from a 90 degree angle.

Who shoved a stick up your ass? ****ing ******* internet tough guy...

https://streamable.com/l6b3m

Comment

Working...
                      X