This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
    Petrosian got crushed by Fischer though. In the end his all-defense, all the time tactics were self defeating.
    Yes, but he lost the title to Spassky, who later lost the title to Fischer. And, at times, they were self defeating, but it still lead to being World Champion for a few years. In a book I have, Anatoly Karpov, who became champ after Fischer left the game, was said to have a style similar to Petrosian's, but with more offense. The polar opposite would be Mikhail Tal, who was like a swarmer style boxer and known for his "mad dashes at the (opponent's) king."

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Yes, but he lost the title to Spassky, who later lost the title to Fischer. And, at times, they were self defeating, but it still lead to being World Champion for a few years. In a book I have, Anatoly Karpov, who became champ after Fischer left the game, was said to have a style similar to Petrosian's, but with more offense. The polar opposite would be Mikhail Tal, who was like a swarmer style boxer and known for his "mad dashes at the (opponent's) king."
      Karpov is my all-time favorite player. Much more offense than Petrosian, though when needing to salvage a draw in a game he was losing he could put on defense as good as Petrosian. A lot of people mistook Karpov for defensive because they really didn't understand what he was doing.

Comment

Karpov is my all-time favorite player. Much more offense than Petrosian, though when needing to salvage a draw in a game he was losing he could put on defense as good as Petrosian. A lot of people mistook Karpov for defensive because they really didn't understand what he was doing.
        Cool. Not sure who my all-time favorite would be. Probably Fischer, because he was so dominant and could dig deep when the chips were down in his prime. Love Karpov and Petrosian too though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Cool. Not sure who my all-time favorite would be. Probably Fischer, because he was so dominant and could dig deep when the chips were down in his prime. Love Karpov and Petrosian too though.
          In my opinion Fischer was the greatest ever player.....I just could never warm to him personally.

Comment

• not even close man..be serious

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              Thats BS Dan... I can grant you that It was a credible decision. I can grant you that perhaps a theocracy of boxing elites may have had Floyd winning even... But even those individuals when pressed, I would be willing to bet would say that Floyd did not win the fight in a convincing fashion, in a fashion that showed he was materially better than Manny P.

I know this because it is the sentiment that has been expressed all over the internet. Sure elite trainers had their points of view, but there is a consensus about how both guys performed during the fight.
              And the overwhelming consensus is Floyd won the fight. Hence why it's not controversial.

I won't disagree that Floyd didn't white wash him or embarrass him ala Canelo or Corrales etc but what he DEFINITELY did was win.

There's no shame in not embarrassing Pacquaio who is an ATG legend. And Floyd was well passed his best days also. As was Pacquaio too but both were elite fighters at the time.

Comment

• What's the big deal? This is the best that can be talked about? Mayweather won the exhibition. Most people saw that. Why not STFU about it?

Mayweather was a cherrypicker. End of story. A cherrypicker's legacy. Almost every great fighter he faced was well on the downhill slide when he finally met them. Fans are already forgetting him, like they did Roy Jones, who is lucky to make it into the top ten Light heavyweights AT these days, even on shows he is co-hosting. What an embarrassment that must be for him. He thought he would do it his way and no one could later deny how great he was. Duh! Sorry, Roy. Now almost a forgotten, desperate character, still fighting, KO'd every other time he steps into the ring, desperate to salvage some legacy out of a career he micro managed himself.

Already they are not talked about with the same reverence as Robinson. But at least Jones has a highlight reel. Mayweather does not even have that. But Roy has now found that a highlight reel against the seventh or eighth best scrubs in the world at he time will not impress anyone but your sycophants, in the long run.

As far as opponents and legacies go--get 'em while they are hot. No one cares if you beat someone eight years past their prime, Mayweather. That is what you specialized in, and now no one cares.

The same may come true for big, dumb Joshua over in England. His promoters want to keep him locked up and out of danger for as long as possible, while they milk the millions from his compliant udder. If these British shrikes do not sign him to face Wilder right away, but instead let the Alabaman obviously fade downwards from his peak, they are on the same road as Jones and Mayweather, and no amount of their transparent blather will later convince anyone of their charge's greatness. Only encounters within the ring against prime opposition can do that, you stupid fools.

Oh, and here come Dana White now. Gird yourself for more crookedness and self-serving brainless palaver with plenty of F-bombs.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  And the overwhelming consensus is Floyd won the fight. Hence why it's not controversial.

I won't disagree that Floyd didn't white wash him or embarrass him ala Canelo or Corrales etc but what he DEFINITELY did was win.

There's no shame in not embarrassing Pacquaio who is an ATG legend. And Floyd was well passed his best days also. As was Pacquaio too but both were elite fighters at the time.
                  This is the point of disagreement. Definitely in this case is nebulous at best, for many reasons, basically what we have been back and fourthing about. I would never say that Floyd winning the fight was a robbery, but the fight could have been called a draw, or even a slit decision for Pac and it also, would not have been a robbery, imo.

Yes, Floyd also passed his best days, so we see these guys fighting under conditions that reflect some attributes, but hardly all of what a fight between both of them in their prime, would have looked like. Thats nobody's fault, just a fact.

Its not that Pac was not embarrassed, its that the fight margins were thin to none, they reflected a strategy of avoidance, a situation where questions still persist. Thats our other point of disagreement. If the judges had scored this fight for Pac it could not have been called a robbery imo. I understand you disagree with that lol.

Anyhow thats where I see our differences.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    This is the point of disagreement. Definitely in this case is nebulous at best, for many reasons, basically what we have been back and fourthing about. I would never say that Floyd winning the fight was a robbery, but the fight could have been called a draw, or even a slit decision for Pac and it also, would not have been a robbery, imo.

Yes, Floyd also passed his best days, so we see these guys fighting under conditions that reflect some attributes, but hardly all of what a fight between both of them in their prime, would have looked like. Thats nobody's fault, just a fact.

Its not that Pac was not embarrassed, its that the fight margins were thin to none, they reflected a strategy of avoidance, a situation where questions still persist. Thats our other point of disagreement. If the judges had scored this fight for Pac it could not have been called a robbery imo. I understand you disagree with that lol.

Anyhow thats where I see our differences.
                    Ok.

I'll just say that if Pacquaio had won that decision the overwhelming consensus would be that Mayweather was robbed.

0% of press row had Pacquaio winning. That is less than the amount that had Bradley beating Pacquaio in the first fight. I get that press row is not the be all and end all but when 0% had one of the fighters winning it is pretty evident and clear who the winner of the fight was.

Comment

In my opinion Fischer was the greatest ever player.....I just could never warm to him personally.
                      Neither could I. In his early days, he was standoffish and kind of snobbish, then later shown to be an anti-Semite. That's probably why he hid out later in life in Iceland. Plus he could be almost as big a prick to negotiate with as Sugar Ray Robinson. The powers that be had no choice but to just give the title to Karpov. Has that happened often in boxing? I know Ken Norton was given the WBC belt at some point, but any others? Daniel Cormier was just given back his light heavy belt after Jon Jones tested positive again in his drug test.
                      Last edited by Anthony342; 11-02-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X