No announcement yet.

Question about Rocky

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heckler
    Rocky Marciano is definately is a top 3 favourite fighter of mine, but top 3 greatest? Definately not. 'show me a fighter that hasn't lost and ill show you one that hasn't fought anybody'- I think that quote applied to Marciano would be an exaggeration, but gets the point across. He was dominant and undefeated but in an era that was a slump in boxing history. The only names i think are worth Mention are Ezzard, Walcott, Moore, Louis. Louis was a shadow of his former self, Ezzard was declining and a natural light heavyweight, Moore in his forties, a natural light heavyweight and also declining, then we have Walcott... Walcott like Lennox actually got better with age, i cannot discredit Marcianos win over Walcott. Walcott was solid ring technican, but rarely considered a top 10 great. Because of his lack of competition i put the rock at either 5 or 6.

but you can do no more than beat the best of your era and if you do you're a great. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Boxclever
      but you can do no more than beat the best of your era and if you do you're a great. IMO
      yeah, but not top 3, lol!

Comment

Rocky Marciano is easily a top ten heavyweight of all time, if not a top 5. Anyone who can reign undefeated when facing the top fighters of their respective era can go overlooked. He beat some guys who were tough as nails, he took beatings and always came back for more. I think that many people undervalue his era because of the lack of legendary names; this is a poor reason for downgrading him, however, as more "legends" were given such a title when boxing became more exposed to the public in the 60's and 70's. I think that Rocky could have competed in most eras.

Joe Louis even said, regardless of how old he was when he fought Rocky, that he (Marciano) was a great champion and the best fighter won that night. Joe Frazier ranks Marciano as #2 all-time, and that man knows a bit about boxing. I would place him at #5 probably.

1-2. Muhammad Ali
        1-2. Joe Louis
        3. Larry Holmes
        4. Sonny Liston
        5. Rocky Marciano
        6. George Foreman
        7. Jack Dempsey
        8. Jack Johnson
        9. Joe Frazier
        10. Mike Tyson

But then, my list changes frequently...

Comment

Originally posted by Brassangel
          Rocky Marciano is easily a top ten heavyweight of all time, if not a top 5. Anyone who can reign undefeated when facing the top fighters of their respective era can go overlooked. He beat some guys who were tough as nails, he took beatings and always came back for more. I think that many people undervalue his era because of the lack of legendary names; this is a poor reason for downgrading him, however, as more "legends" were given such a title when boxing became more exposed to the public in the 60's and 70's. I think that Rocky could have competed in most eras.

Joe Louis even said, regardless of how old he was when he fought Rocky, that he (Marciano) was a great champion and the best fighter won that night. Joe Frazier ranks Marciano as #2 all-time, and that man knows a bit about boxing. I would place him at #5 probably.

1-2. Muhammad Ali
          1-2. Joe Louis
          3. Larry Holmes
          4. Sonny Liston
          5. Rocky Marciano
          6. George Foreman
          7. Jack Dempsey
          8. Jack Johnson
          9. Joe Frazier
          10. Mike Tyson

But then, my list changes frequently...
          that's because marciano was frazier's favorite fighter growing up, and plus he hates ali so he won't put ali above marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
            that's because marciano was frazier's favorite fighter growing up, and plus he hates ali so he won't put ali above marciano.
            Oh yeah, that is a perfect explenation on why he puts Rocky at #2

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
              ya know whats funny Marciano was on of Ali's favorite fighters when he was growing up

and Ali hates Frazier (respects him but hates him) and he probably doesn't put Marciano that high

so it has to do with personal opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman
                Oh yeah, that is a perfect explenation on why he puts Rocky at #2
                why not? it's true. frazier would put marciano high because that was his favorite fighter, and he would rank ali low cause he hated him. common sense.

Comment

Butterfly, you're preaching about common sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
                    Butterfly, you're preaching about common sense?
                    tell me one thing i said that wasn't true. tell me one thing. frazier hates ali and likes marciano, so he would rank marciano high and rank ali low, plain and simple. this is not to hard to grasp, it's not rocket science or anything like that.

Comment

The comment is in reference to your posts on this forum as a whole, not in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X