Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you guys as Boxing fans consider greater?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
    I'd like the TS to elaborate more and be more specific.

If you interpret the question like you have with the example you've given above, then yeah, you're right. It would obviously be better to be undefeated. But that goes without saying doesn't it. That's obvious. Which is why I've interpreted the question in a different way like a few others have.

The question reads to me like he's comparing 2 different fighters and 2 different scenarios.
    I'd say the other way goes without saying too. Its sorta a dumbass question lol. I took it like I took it cuz he specifically didn't mention any particular fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I'd say the other way goes without saying too. Its sorta a dumbass question lol. I took it like I took it cuz he specifically didn't mention any particular fighters.
      Ha!

I don't know mate, we'll have to wait until he comes back.
      Last edited by robertzimmerman; 06-12-2016, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I'd say both are equally good, as long as one fights all the best opponents and doesn't duck anyone or doesn't duck them in their prime.

Comment

Personally I prefer the latter. A facet of greatness is how a fighter deals with adversity. That, to an extent, can be revealed during a contest of course but the psychology and spirit of the man is often layed bare once he has been defeated. It's in his reaction to that moment that he truely reveals himself. That's when we see how great a fighter is, not just in how he defeats his opponents but in how he deals with defeat.

Joe Louis raged against the Schmeling defeat, even when he took the title he didn't consider himself to be the champion until he avenged that loss (if only boxers held those values today). Defeat illuminated Tyson's bully mentality. Naseem Named became a virtual recluse. It shattered Hatton as a man, he's still not pieced himself back together. Ali of course responded with a dignity few knew he had. Then he rose to greater heights.

They'll always be the lingering suspicion with an undefeated fighter that either by design or circumstance he never truely tested himself.

Comment

The question is phrased poorly, because option A-remaining undefeated; encapsulates within it option B-beating everyone you ever faced. Hence, without context option A must be better.

Now, what I think was being implied is: is it better to remain undefeated with a solid resume (Floyd) or avenge every loss with good resume (Lewis).

To which I think you will find most boxing fans siding with option B, as it shows you fighting top quality at or near its prime; and we all want to see good fights. And willing to risk the '0', which unfortunately seems to be taboo nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
              The question is phrased poorly, because option A-remaining undefeated; encapsulates within it option B-beating everyone you ever faced. Hence, without context option A must be better.

Now, what I think was being implied is: is it better to remain undefeated with a solid resume (Floyd) or avenge every loss with good resume (Lewis).

To which I think you will find most boxing fans siding with option B, as it shows you fighting top quality at or near its prime; and we all want to see good fights. And willing to risk the '0', which unfortunately seems to be taboo nowadays.
              In my opinion going through Floyd's resume undefeated will always trump getting knocked out by McCall and Rahman.

Even if those humiliating KO losses were later avenged.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
                is it better to remain undefeated with a solid resume (Floyd) or avenge every loss with good resume (Lewis).

To which I think you will find most boxing fans siding with option B
                LOL at Lewis having a good resume to Mayweather's merely "solid" resume. Okkaaaaay. Plus being KTFO by ATG's like Rahman & McCall. I'd say your example is a poor choice to support your argument.

Comment

Lewis was just the first name that came to mind for a fighter who avenged all his losses. Although he did beat Holyfield close to prime which is pretty good

Comment

If you beat all the best fighters of your era when they're at their best, then either being undefeated or avenging all losses and draws are both equally impressive to me.

Comment

The fact that this silly thread even gets any attention shows this forum is dying on the vine. People have to guess at what the question was. Apparently they would rather do that than answer clear questions. Deep stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X