Collapse
No announcement yet.

worst heavyweight champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primo Carnera definitley. James Braddock on here is confusing though. Jimmy did knock down Joe Louis in their title fight after all. That has to take some skills.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      LOL.......... You post above ask's, who is the worst, based on "SKILLSET" and Resume. You then, make your own personal choice, and go on to say, "Your vote goes for Shannon Briggs, Not so much based on SKILLSET"
      Briggs is in a different league to journeyman Hasim Rahman lol.

You shot yourself in the foot you fool lol
      Instead of debating my reasoning you only claim I shot myself in the foot. Truth is that your the only one who keeps shooting himself. Yes, Briggs and Rahman are in different leagues. One was able to stop an ATG champion, the other was gifted a fight with lousy scoring. But hey, according to you we should all agree Briggs beat Foreman because the judges said so, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        Primo Carnera definitley. James Braddock on here is confusing though. Jimmy did knock down Joe Louis in their title fight after all. That has to take some skills.
        Braddock heavyweight career wasn't very good, especially as champion. He had guts and toughness, and he wouldn't be my choice as the worst, but he is up there with the worst of them in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Lou Duva when manager/promotor of Lennox Lewis, claimed Lewis was, "Another Carnera"...
          Duva was mad bc Lewis was going to crush his prized possession Golota which he did ...yes quite the CARNERA Lewis was .......... hey did you see the Bowe vs Golota fights?

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            Duva was mad bc Lewis was going to crush his prized possession Golota which he did ...yes quite the CARNERA Lewis was .......... hey did you see the Bowe vs Golota fights?
            I'm sure he Didnt. He didn't see Howe vs Lewis either because Howe trashed his belt instead of fighting him.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Holyfield won that fight clearly, very wide, it was an outrageous decision. He made an 50yr old Holyfield look like he was still in his prime.

Noway was Valuev an improved anything nor did he have better technical punching and chin? I can't even recall a puncher Valuev fought in his career outside of Haye who had him all over the place with the first shot of any real substance he landed.
              Carnera was better than Valuev in every department. He was like a giant oak tree with arms he could barely even move due to his abnormally large stature.
              Holyfield didn't do anything in that fight to suggest he clearly won it the below comment to yours on the last page pretty much sums it up the work is done for me .If you are talking h2h im pretty sure Valuev k.os Carnera very easily . Carnera had a shaky chin by far less punchers than Haye ,Valuev overall fought better fighters the only guy he ducked was V.Klitcho for obvious reasons .
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I'm sure he Didnt. He didn't see Howe vs Lewis either because Howe trashed his belt instead of fighting him.
                I have a feeling Sonny just turnecd this into another Lewis charade ,he does this daily when he gets mugged on his own threads .No matter how many times he is mugged he still comes back with rehashed garbage like the one i responded to when he knows full well Duva made the Carnera comment during a press conferance when Steward was his manager yet calls others fools ,yes Sonny the boxingscene piniata ! The best one was him telling me ppl get k.od because of a secret pressure point located in front of the chin,nothing to do with the brain rattling though ?Boy do i wish i saved that one !
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-15-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                  Do you believe 5'9 sloppy Gallento was a very skilled fighter? Please dont answer that if the answer is yes!
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-15-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    Deontay Wilder is the worst I've seen then Nikolai Valuev.
                    Ill go with Valuev as well!

One of the reasons for this choice is that Valuev, a very nice guy, intelligent as well, had giagantism (sp?). This condition predisposes him to physical weakness and a lack of coordination. While I respect his ability to overcome this condition, it speaks to the idea that an infirmity of this nature would predispose him to being a poor physical specimen... His boxing skills were ok, but not exceptional...he was physically weaker than the average individual....compensated for, ironickly enough, with his physical largeness/giagantism condition, and he fought weak opposition.
                    Last edited by billeau2; 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
                      I'm going ever so slightly off track because I'm not basing my pic on skill set and resume.

I've got 'The Ambling Alp' as my choice. It's widely documented that Primo's entire career was little more than an exercise in well crafted stage management.

Originally a mosaic worker he fast realised he could make a better living as a strongman act and taking on all comers as a Greco-Roman wrestler with a French travelling circus. It was there that he came to the attention of the boxing manager Leon See who saw an opportunity for them both to make a little money.

After matching him against some fortuitous opposition in Europe, See took his act Stateside where Walter 'Charley' Freidman acted as a 'go between' until the Frenchman was finally muscled out by 'Broadway' Bill Duffy and his associates. His first fight at The Garden against Big Boy Peterson was roundly ridiculed as a fake. Risky opposition who couldn't be bought off were threatened, as Ace Clark was between rounds by a shady figure with a pistol sat beneath his corner. Bombo Chevalier claimed his own attendants rubbed ointment in his eyes when he refused to throw the fight. Much of his other opposition consisted of well known 'build-up' fighters.

Duffy, who held a managers license was in partnership with 'Big Frenchy' DeMange and the notorious Owen 'Owney' Madden. Sharkey and his manager 'Fat' John Buckley already had a bad rep before the fight with Canera came along and has as already been stated, Sharkey later confessed to taking a dive.

Unfortunately for Madden and co. the disquiet being made by journalists over their little circus act started to reach a fever pitch - the great American sports writer Paul Gallico (who also established The Golden Gloves tournament) was privy to the ruse before it even began proper as he'd been present when the light hitting Carnera was unable to hurt the 174lb Moise Bouquillon at a small Paris fight club just a year into his career.

With so much criticism ringing it was arranged for Primo to face another of Duffy, DeMange and Madden's fighters in Max Baer. With a chance to keep he heavyweight crown and champion in their possession Baer was permitted to do what few of Primo's previous opposition were permitted to and actually hit the man. It was so one sided that it stands as one of the most farcical championship bouts of all time.

So Primo for me is the worst heavyweight champion for the simple reason that it wasn't above board. He never legitimately won a championship.
                      That fight was a site to behold...half the time Canera Baer decided to wrestle instead of box. Baer also was in a clowning mood. Would not have wanted to be the ref for that one!

Comment

Working...
                      X