No announcement yet.

worst heavyweight champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worst heavyweight champion

Who is the worst heavyweight champion in history? Using both skillset and resume cast your vote and discuss.
    Marvin Hart
    4.35%
    Shannon Briggs
    8.70%
    Jess Willard
    13.04%
    Basin Rahman
    8.70%
    Tommy Burns
    4.35%
    Mike Weaver
    0.00%
    Primo Carnera
    26.09%
    John Ruiz
    17.39%
    Leon Spinks
    17.39%
    James Braddock
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Personally my vote goes to Shannon Briggs. Not so much based on his skill set which looked impressive against second rate fighters, but because he should have never even just ave gotten the decision over an ancient George Foreman to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Personally my vote goes to Shannon Briggs. Not so much based on his skill set which looked impressive against second rate fighters, but because he should have never even just ave gotten the decision over an ancient George Foreman to begin with.
      LOL.......... You post above ask's, who is the worst, based on "SKILLSET" and Resume. You then, make your own personal choice, and go on to say, "Your vote goes for Shannon Briggs, Not so much based on SKILLSET"
      Briggs is in a different league to journeyman Hasim Rahman lol.

You shot yourself in the foot you fool lol

Comment

Deontay Wilder is the worst I've seen then Nikolai Valuev.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          Deontay Wilder is the worst I've seen then Nikolai Valuev.
          Wilder has already made a good account of himself compared to others too early to lable him worst fighter , and certainly hasnt had any fixed matches like some on his list . Valuev is bad but not Carnera level bad !

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            Wilder has already made a good account of himself compared to others too early to lable him worst fighter , and certainly hasnt had any fixed matches like some on his list . Valuev is bad but not Carnera level bad !

His opposition has been nothing short of terrible the only fighter of any note he has fought is Stiverne (who's best win is Arreola who could easily be 2-4 in his last 6).
            He has had his fair share of suspected fixed matches including against his buddy Malik Scott.
            Big uncoordinated guy with utterly terrible balance, I don't see any notable skills. Just a tall guy with a sledgehammer right hand.

Carnera wasn't that bad he certainly was not the freakshow attraction he gets made out to be. He was a giant with an awkward, unorthodox style quite similar to that of Vitali Klitschko.
            Valuev was just a giant with zero mobility, Carnera could actually box and had good subtle skills. A half decent jab, he could move side to side, box off the backfoot, fight inside when he needed too and he had a whole arsenal of punches more than just two which Valuev displayed. Carnera was vastly more skilled than Valuev.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              His opposition has been nothing short of terrible the only fighter of any note he has fought is Stiverne (who's best win is Arreola who could easily be 2-4 in his last 6).
              He has had his fair share of suspected fixed matches including against his buddy Malik Scott.
              Big uncoordinated guy with utterly terrible balance, I don't see any notable skills. Just a tall guy with a sledgehammer right hand.

Carnera wasn't that bad he certainly was not the freakshow attraction he gets made out to be. He was a giant with an awkward, unorthodox style quite similar to that of Vitali Klitschko.
              Valuev was just a giant with zero mobility, Carnera could actually box and had good subtle skills. A half decent jab, he could move side to side, box off the backfoot, fight inside when he needed too and he had a whole arsenal of punches more than just two which Valuev displayed. Carnera was vastly more skilled than Valuev.
              Jack Sharky admitted to throwing the championship fight! Valuevs win over even an aged Holyfield is by far better than anything Carnera did.Monte Coxx the biggest nostalgic writer even said Valuev is the improved Carnera of modern times ,better technical punching and chin ,but slower.
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-15-2016, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Jack Sharky admitted to throwing the championship fight! Valuevs win over even an aged Holyfield is by far better than anything Carnera did.Monte Coxx the biggest nostalgic writer even said Valuev is the improved Carnera of modern times ,better technical punching and chin ,but slower.
                Lou Duva when manager/promotor of Lennox Lewis, claimed Lewis was, "Another Carnera"...

Comment

Holyfield won that fight clearly, very wide, it was an outrageous decision. He made an 50yr old Holyfield look like he was still in his prime.

Noway was Valuev an improved anything nor did he have better technical punching and chin? I can't even recall a puncher Valuev fought in his career outside of Haye who had him all over the place with the first shot of any real substance he landed.
                  Carnera was better than Valuev in every department. He was like a giant oak tree with arms he could barely even move due to his abnormally large stature.

Comment

I'm going ever so slightly off track because I'm not basing my pic on skill set and resume.

I've got 'The Ambling Alp' as my choice. It's widely documented that Primo's entire career was little more than an exercise in well crafted stage management.

Originally a mosaic worker he fast realised he could make a better living as a strongman act and taking on all comers as a Greco-Roman wrestler with a French travelling circus. It was there that he came to the attention of the boxing manager Leon See who saw an opportunity for them both to make a little money.

After matching him against some fortuitous opposition in Europe, See took his act Stateside where Walter 'Charley' Freidman acted as a 'go between' until the Frenchman was finally muscled out by 'Broadway' Bill Duffy and his associates. His first fight at The Garden against Big Boy Peterson was roundly ridiculed as a fake. Risky opposition who couldn't be bought off were threatened, as Ace Clark was between rounds by a shady figure with a pistol sat beneath his corner. Bombo Chevalier claimed his own attendants rubbed ointment in his eyes when he refused to throw the fight. Much of his other opposition consisted of well known 'build-up' fighters.

Duffy, who held a managers license was in partnership with 'Big Frenchy' DeMange and the notorious Owen 'Owney' Madden. Sharkey and his manager 'Fat' John Buckley already had a bad rep before the fight with Canera came along and has as already been stated, Sharkey later confessed to taking a dive.

Unfortunately for Madden and co. the disquiet being made by journalists over their little circus act started to reach a fever pitch - the great American sports writer Paul Gallico (who also established The Golden Gloves tournament) was privy to the ruse before it even began proper as he'd been present when the light hitting Carnera was unable to hurt the 174lb Moise Bouquillon at a small Paris fight club just a year into his career.

With so much criticism ringing it was arranged for Primo to face another of Duffy, DeMange and Madden's fighters in Max Baer. With a chance to keep he heavyweight crown and champion in their possession Baer was permitted to do what few of Primo's previous opposition were permitted to and actually hit the man. It was so one sided that it stands as one of the most farcical championship bouts of all time.

So Primo for me is the worst heavyweight champion for the simple reason that it wasn't above board. He never legitimately won a championship.
                    Last edited by - Ram Raid -; 02-15-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X