Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Toney; Most overrated fighter of the 90's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Why would any of this matter?

Let's just watch the fights. He didn't look impressive or dominate any of the above except Barkley who was past his prime and far from elite anyway.
    The topic of this thread is if Toney was the most overrated fighter of the 90s.

You don't think the opinions of his peers are pertinent to the discussion?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      The topic of this thread is if Toney was the most overrated fighter of the 90s.

You don't think the opinions of his peers are pertinent to the discussion?
      No I don't.

I have never, ever heard anyone use his opponents opinion to argue why a figther is great. It's totally irrelevant. I've seen fighters say journeyman are amongst their hardest fights. It's meaningless information.

Focus on what happened in the ring.

Roy Jones schooled Toney

Montel Griffin beat him twice.

Micheal Nunn schooled him for the vast majority of the fight before the wheels came off.

What they say about him is irrelevant, this is what actually happened when they fought.

Comment

No I don't.

I have never, ever heard anyone use his opponents opinion to argue why a figther is great. It's totally irrelevant. I've seen fighters say journeyman are amongst their hardest fights. It's meaningless information.

Focus on what happened in the ring.

Roy Jones schooled Toney

Montel Griffin beat him twice.

Micheal Nunn schooled him for the vast majority of the fight before the wheels came off.

What they say about him is irrelevant, this is what actually happened when they fought.
        It's your thread. If you want to throw out what actual fighters who were in the ring with him have to say then it's your call.

Comment

It's your thread. If you want to throw out what actual fighters who were in the ring with him have to say then it's your call.
          I'll just watch the actual fights because that is what's actually important here.

What these fighters say out of their kind and possibly agenda driven hearts won't change the actual performances from Toney.

Comment

I'll just watch the actual fights because that is what's actually important here.

What these fighters say out of their kind and possibly agenda driven hearts won't change the actual performances from Toney.
            And we can trust you to have as good a boxing eye as these fighters do, and to be absolutely agenda-free?

Comment

And we can trust you to have as good a boxing eye as these fighters do, and to be absolutely agenda-free?
              Not sure about boxing eye but agenda free yes obviously.

I break down fights objectively. Nothing I have said about Toney's fight are false.

Comment

• I wouldn’t call Toney overrated. An under-achiever given his talent, yes. He had all the potential in the world, but he didn’t take his conditioning seriously enough. He had some great wins in the early part of the decade. He just couldn’t win the battle with the scales and didn’t bother to be at his best.

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  I wouldn’t call Toney overrated. An under-achiever given his talent, yes. He had all the potential in the world, but he didn’t take his conditioning seriously enough. He had some great wins in the early part of the decade. He just couldn’t win the battle with the scales and didn’t bother to be at his best.
                  - -At his best he shuts down any BurgerKing or Colonel Sanders, and he was always at his best.

Then he discovered the pizza joint buffets, and that's all she wrote.

Comment

Working...
                  X