Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunney vs Langford

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close fight this but the most likely scenario looking at film and records is a tunney decision.

Comment

I think Tunney wins pretty handily. He will not be there for Tar Bug's traps. Gene studied with the Gibbons boys, but was more aggressive, mastering the same defensive technique and footwork.

Tar Bug could have fought no higher than middleweight his entire meaningful career, if there had been fighters his size in existence willing to face him. Kudos to Ketchel at least for a non title bout against him, with a championship sequel planned for later, which was prevented by the Assassin's death by murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
        And you bang your head against the wall trying to figure out why no one takes you seriously....

Mayweather stops them both in 5, right?
        - -Once they hit their mid 80s he might have a 10/90 chance.

Yes, no doubt yer educators felt the experience like Bang The Wall the Wall Slowly.

As to the OP of this ancient thread, it should be known when Jeannette fought Sam in Paris for JJs stripped Title, that was the highest, most motivated peak capacity of both fighters, each of whom had legendary wars with great fighters before and after this match.

Sam tamed Joe early with as hard a KD as you will ever see. Joe was a very clever fighter well familiar with SAMs power to no avail on this night. Sam could see his legs were gone and carried him to the end just pecking enough to win a clear decision.

This version of Sam vs prime Jack or Gene is easily a 50/50 fight and for sure if the politics of the day allowed as a non title bout when both #1 contenders and Jack had any say so which he did not have back then, he would fight Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by jack p View Post
          Your right about Greb almost knocked out. Tunney i believe could have KOed Greb but spared him the indignity of being KOed. Also more importantly Grebs manager when arranging the fight. Did not put a weight stipulation on Tunney which was negligence. Tunney weighed around 20 ibs more then Greb Also Tunney stated by then Greb 4 years older then Tunney was slipping
          Greb was blind in one eye in the last Tunney bout. Plus Tunney weighed, as you noted, 20 more pounds. Two very large handicaps to overcome, would you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            I think Tunney wins pretty handily. He will not be there for Tar Bug's traps. Gene studied with the Gibbons boys, but was more aggressive, mastering the same defensive technique and footwork.

Tar Bug could have fought no higher than middleweight his entire meaningful career, if there had been fighters his size in existence willing to face him. Kudos to Ketchel at least for a non title bout against him, with a championship sequel planned for later, which was prevented by the Assassin's death by murder.
            So lets look at this fight in more detail. First off, lets assume both are prime. I like both men but to me? we only have to look at Tunney.

I have often said this, and it is research I have done...I don't know how many people give a 5h1t but here it is: Gene Tunney was perhaps one of a handful, if not the only fighter achieving greatness, who lived in both worlds. He was mentored by Corbet. James Corbet, who allegedlly never fought bare knuckled in a sanctioned bout, was trained as a bare knuckle fighter...solidly in the era of the preclassical fighter. Corbett had the distance, the set ups, the traps, the footwork and the punch technique of the scientific fighters of that era: Guys like Daniel Espanoza, Jem Mace, etc...

Tunney was also totally versed in the approach of the classical. he was familiar with Dempsey, Gans and the other fighters who were starting the development of modern boxing theory.

Tunney was unique in having been schooled in both systems so thoroughly. You can see this approach in tape. It so happens we have enough tape of Tunney that we can see how he operates. He is as at home setting traps, fighting off the back leg, as throwing combo punches and using subtle body movements to fight at punching distance. Quite a fighter indeed!

Sam was limited...Not quite the athletic marvel of a Zab Judah, a Roy Jones, but strong, fast, tough and relatively smart. At his best he was a handful... but probably not much of a threat to the consistent, methodical excellence of the fighting marine.

Comment

Smartazz!

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -What grade you be in for the new school year?
              At Least I'm not making fun of others here and until now, not wasting time posting anything but intelligent boxing comments, but your ignorant, uncalled for and idiotic reply to my hones and intelligent comment called for it, your just a plain fool!

Comment

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post
                At Least I'm not making fun of others here and until now, not wasting time posting anything but intelligent boxing comments, but your ignorant, uncalled for and idiotic reply to my hones and intelligent comment called for it, your just a plain fool!
                - -Ya coulda fooled me!

Comment

Just as I thought, this fight has no consensus at all, and is a dead tossup statistically, i.e. vote wise. People are all over the board with their predictions.

In a discussion like this one, Ray's opinion would be pretty valuable as a kind of lodestar of navigation.

Comment

- -Bottom line is when Sam still relevant Gene still green and by the time Gene was relevant, Sam was blind.

A fantasy prime to prime 3 fight series has already been fought in Valhalla. Mind yer manners and you may be allowed to see it some day

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      Langford was able to give Johnson a hard, tough fight.
                      Complete myth, it wasn't even close.

It would have to be against the light-heavy version of Tunney to be competitive.

Against the heavyweight version, it would be a complete mismatch.

Comment

Working...
                      X