Tunney vs Langford

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
    Complete myth, it wasn't even close.

It would have to be against the light-heavy version of Tunney to be competitive.

Against the heavyweight version, it would be a complete mismatch.
    You believe Langford was overrated, then?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      You believe Langford was overrated, then?
      No, but I think Johnson vs Langford was a total mismatch-

Johnson- “I have accounts of the fight from my dear old friend, Tad (legendary sports writer and cartoonist Tad Dorgan), which show how badly Sam Langford was whipped. Please note the account of our fifteen-round fight at Chelsea, Mass., which I am enclosing. The report shows that I gave poor Sam such a severe trimming that he had to find his way into a hospital to recuperate. The records of that fight prove that statement to be correct."

Witness Joe Waterman describes it as a ‘terrible beating’

Nat Fleischer’s father in law who was there- “Jack Johnson decisively defeated Sam Langford. He was complete master of the situation. Jack so far outclassed Langford that for a time, until he purposely eased up on his onslaughts, the fight was one-sided."

Langford’s manager’s confession to Fleischer- You’ve got me, Nat. Langford never dropped Johnson. But I was anxious to fix up another fight between the two and, knowing Jack’s pride, I invented the story of that knockdown to goad him into the ring against Sam again. Although it never happened, all the newspapermen believed it. They just never took the trouble to investigate. That knockdown was just a publicity gimmick.”

I personally don’t think Tunney vs Johnson would be all that competitive so I don’t really see Tunney vs Langford being much of a fight. A Tyson-Spinks affair really.

Tunney dropped Dempsey, who took blows from superheavyweights and kept on coming. When Tunney lands on Langford’s chin it won’t be a pretty sight.

Comment

Good to get the account of the phony knockdown straight anyway. So you think that Tunney would not flabbergast slow Lil' Arthur, then?

Comment

I personally don’t think Tunney vs Johnson would be all that competitive so I don’t really see Tunney vs Langford being much of a fight. A Tyson-Spinks affair really.

Tunney dropped Dempsey, who took blows from superheavyweights and kept on coming. When Tunney lands on Langford’s chin it won’t be a pretty sight.
          - -Sam hit a lot harder than Tunney...Duh!

Knocked more than his fair share from LW to the super heavies of the day and nobody been in so consistently tough yr by yr as Sam.

We cannot guarantee who would win, but we can guarantee you lost the plot on this.

Comment

Good to get the account of the phony knockdown straight anyway. So you think that Tunney would not flabbergast slow Lil' Arthur, then?
            I meant it wouldn't be all that competitive because Tunney would beat him quite decisively.

Comment

I meant it wouldn't be all that competitive because Tunney would beat him quite decisively.
              Would beat whom decisively, Lil' Arthur or the Tar Bug?

Comment

Would beat whom decisively, Lil' Arthur or the Tar Bug?
                Both of them

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Sam hit a lot harder than Tunney...Duh!

Knocked more than his fair share from LW to the super heavies of the day and nobody been in so consistently tough yr by yr as Sam.

We cannot guarantee who would win, but we can guarantee you lost the plot on this.
                  So you were in the ring with both of them? Or are you talking about life in the boudoir?

Tunney has a higher KO percentage than Langford. And he fought more than just the same 6 guys one hundred times each.

Again. Stop making things up. Refer to the evidence: footage of Tunney shows a much faster, more refined, educated counter-puncher. Langford wasn't pure rubbish (like Johnson), but he'd be in over his head.

When you are sick, do you go to the medical doctor, or a witch doctor? If science and reason apply there, why wouldn't they apply anywhere else?
                  I get it, Boxing is fun because there's room for fantasy. But in these debates that has no place. Facts or nothing.

Comment

Both of them
                    Exactly.

Like Billeau perfectly said, you can see how Tunney bridged the two eras. There's a real Corbett quality about him, but you can also see the foreshadowing of Willie Pep.

When I watch him, I see both McGregor and Ali. Boxing was transitioning from crude, but practical, fighting to refined sport.

The dude was a master. A natural a fighter we have ever seen in any combat sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                      So you were in the ring with both of them? Or are you talking about life in the boudoir?

Tunney has a higher KO percentage than Langford. And he fought more than just the same 6 guys one hundred times each.

Again. Stop making things up. Refer to the evidence: footage of Tunney shows a much faster, more refined, educated counter-puncher. Langford wasn't pure rubbish (like Johnson), but he'd be in over his head.

When you are sick, do you go to the medical doctor, or a witch doctor? If science and reason apply there, why wouldn't they apply anywhere else?
                      I get it, Boxing is fun because there's room for fantasy. But in these debates that has no place. Facts or nothing.
                      - -Facts ain't Tromboni hyperventilation.

Knocked out mor HOFers than Gene.

Could you please refrain from soiling the stellar Gene record with the contents of yer BigBoys?

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                      X