No announcement yet.

ATG's List by McGoorty - A Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    I am not sure as to Chavez's best weight but of course he did enough to deserve it. thanks for your nice words, I have been following boxing history for about 20 years at least. I did have a few names I am still tempted to include in my two lists so far but not sure I could add anyone that could be a contender for the Top 100........ Griffo and Les Darcy and Peter Jackson are certainties to be in my top 100, Griffo will rank very high, indeed it will shock many but here is the rub when it comes to McGoorty.... mcGoorty pays great respect to old time experts, especially the fighter opinions of who they think were great and the trainers like Ray Arcel... so much so that I value their opinions higher than our revered posters here. Si keeping this in mind McGoorty wants opinions that are fair, I do understand we have many here who have very solid opinions but so do I...... I have been accused of being too big a fan of Darcy here but I can back up all my words on him with facts and I think he is not ever rated as high as he deserves but we all have our favourites, I know many here will wanna roast me if I dare to not have Duran or a Greb in my top ten or to rate Hagler a bit overrated.... BUT McGOORTY DOES DARE...... as for say.... hagler, I love watching him fight but sadly his resume is not as good as some others so I have a few names above him at Middleweight but hey... it is maybe the deepest division of them all.

You may not know this but 95 per cent or so of the names in those two lists were straight off the top of my head so I still have to look a bit deeper....... maybe a guy like Chuck Davey deserves to be on the list but if not he still deserves a mention...... <<<< and there it is... LOL........ oh yeah,,, BTW, in your opinion should I have included Aaron Pryor ?... i don't know that much about him except that he was a goer.
    I thought I had seen Pryor in the list. I think he deserves a place on a list of this length. I would have a hard time rating him significantly below Zoo, Oscar, Shane or Tito.

And yes your knowledge is deep. I will use this list to learn about more old timers I did not know about!

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
      I thought I had seen Pryor in the list. I think he deserves a place on a list of this length. I would have a hard time rating him significantly below Zoo, Oscar, Shane or Tito.

And yes your knowledge is deep. I will use this list to learn about more old timers I did not know about!
      Thanks mate, glad I have helped

Comment

Now I gotta ask you guys, looking at all the names up there is it any wonder why no one can ever agree on an all time top 100 ?..... so many of these guys beat the guy who beat the guy who beat them it's not funny. That's why I have only two or three guys from the "murderers row listed because the others tend to cancel each other out. The two murderers row guys I have there I feel are better enough than the rest as to be outstanding enough to be here. I try to avoid fighters who have way too many losses to just simply explain away. I suppose to make a top 100 I have to really dig deep into these resume's and watch some more film of those I am less familiar with.
        First of all can some of you give me 20 names as to who you think would be the first to go here and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          You have left off Juan manual marquez, and if darchiyan is on the list, then doņaire has to be on it..

Also some possible borderline guys
          Tito trinidad
          Donald curry
          Wilfredo benitez
          Those borderline guys I thought about.... Not sure about Curry but Benitez and Trinidad sure are right there on the borderline, I could have included both but then I would have needed at least two or three more names from each decade or more, if I include Benitez for instance I would need to include Sammy Angott and others like him

Comment

I had to go back to do an edit on the big guys list.... I had somehow overlooked Sam McVea who fought in probably the strongest ever period for heavyweights, even though most top guys were not heavyweights by today's standards

Comment

Just added another i overlooked and SO DID ALL OF YOU TOO..... lol.... Jimmy Carter.

Comment

The Little Blokes
                [LEFT]Young Griffo
                Terrible Terry McGovern
                Jimmy Wilde
                George Dixon
                Sandy Saddler
                Kid Chocolate
                Pancho Villa
                Willie Pep
                Hiroshi Kobayashi
                Benny Bass
                Azumah Nelson
                Manny Paquiao
                Flash Elorde
                Abe Attell
                Vicente Saldivar
                Salvadore Sanchez
                Johnny Famechon
                Battling Battalino
                Sugar Ramos
                Ruben Olivares
                Jim Driscoll
                Johnny Kilbane
                Eder Jofre
                Eusebio Pedroza
                Jeff Fenech
                Barry McGuigan
                "The Scotch Wop" Johnny Dundee
                Kid Kaplan
                Baby Arizmendi
                Jose Legra
                Daniel Zaragoza
                Tracey Harris Patterson
                Wilfredo Gomez
                Wilfredo Vasquez[LEFT]
                Marco Antonio Barrera
                Erik Morales
                Manuel Ortiz
                Fighting Harada
                Jimmy Carruthers
                Lionel Rose
                Carlos Zarate
                Sixto Escobar
                Kid Williams
                Jeff Chandler
                Pete Herman
                Joe Lynch
                Benny Lynch
                Lupe Pintor
                Panama Al Brown
                Pone Kingpetch
                Vic Darchinyan
                Peter Kane
                Midget Wolgast
                Khaosai Galaxy
                Fidel LaBarba
                Pascual Perez
                Needs Orlando Canizales, Jung Koo-Chang, Ricardo Lopez and Yoko Gushiken.
                Last edited by NChristo; 09-20-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  You have left off Juan manual marquez, and if darchiyan is on the list, then doņaire has to be on it..

Also some possible borderline guys
                  Tito trinidad
                  Donald curry
                  Wilfredo benitez
                  Those two names shouldn't even be borderline if he's going to make a top 200. I can understand a top 50 (then again he is including guys like Darcey and Griffo) so again, those names HAVE to be on a list like that.

Comment

Just added another i overlooked and SO DID ALL OF YOU TOO..... lol.... Jimmy Carter.
                    good little fighter! was in the world lightweight mix for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      Those two names shouldn't even be borderline if he's going to make a top 200. I can understand a top 50 (then again he is including guys like Darcey and Griffo) so again, those names HAVE to be on a list like that.
                      What is your point about Griffo and Darcy ??? they are better than all those guys hands down.

Comment

Working...
                      X