Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hagler was Absolutely the WEAKEST of the Big 4.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
    Duran, Hearns and Leonard all had to jump multiple weight classes to fight this coward. All put on great showings! Why Hagler is even mentioned amongst these multi-division warriors baffles the hell out of me.

Hagler's legacy is camping out at Middleweight waiting for small welters to pounce on.
    There were countless ATGs who only fought in 1 division. Hagler beat Duran by a landslide (not officially of course but anyone who knows boxing does). He knocked Hearns tf out. SRL only won by showboating and landing arm punches. Hagler was brought down by judges because of discrimination, if he had an equal chance he would have been king of the Big 4.

Comment

....." Everybody in the division at that time would have been easy prey for the "Hitman." Hagler would have hung with him but I see him getting stopped." ??

What? ...........Hate to tell you this but Hagler STOPPED Tommy in 3!!!

Maybe time for a pass card to get into the History Section?

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        There were countless ATGs who only fought in 1 division. Hagler beat Duran by a landslide (not officially of course but anyone who knows boxing does). He knocked Hearns tf out. SRL only won by showboating and landing arm punches. Hagler was brought down by judges because of discrimination, if he had an equal chance he would have been king of the Big 4.
        And your not biased lol....leonard outboxed him and that was after 3 years in retirement and being an addicted to coke and alchohol...with 1 fight in five years and naturally smaller ....and you say hagler was the man lol.....how many ATG can you name who stayed in the same division...and don't include heavyweights lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
          By a landslide?

Haha.

Keep dreaming. Duran made him look like a chump.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Hearns held only a portion of the LMW crown and the Duran win at the weight only looks good in hindsight.
            Holmes only ever held a portion of the HW title but was the man at Heavyweight. Nope the Duran win was a big win at the time and still is. Duran didn't get knocked out as a rule

Comment

Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
              Holmes only ever held a portion of the HW title but was the man at Heavyweight. Nope the Duran win was a big win at the time and still is. Duran didn't get knocked out as a rule
              Are you crazy?

Holmes won the WBC belt in the Norton fight cos Ali chose the Spinks rematch and then promptly retired. Holmes was champion at this stage and would go on to beat a solid list of contenders before facing Ali and winning, further solidifying his position.

By the time Holmes lost to Spinks, he was not only the lineal champion but the man in the division via 100% consensus.

Hearns may well be regarded as the man at 154 for a period in the early 80s but by no means was it a consensus decision.

In terms of Duran, I'm not saying the KO wasn't impressive, I'm saying that Duran was not necessarily regarded as one of the best fighters on the planet any more. The embarrassment versus Leonard was not yet forgotten and he had gone 3-3 in his last 6 fights and although the Hagler fight did a lot to mend the fences, it wasn't until the Barkley win that he managed to get back some of his reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                Are you crazy?

Holmes won the WBC belt in the Norton fight cos Ali chose the Spinks rematch and then promptly retired. Holmes was champion at this stage and would go on to beat a solid list of contenders before facing Ali and winning, further solidifying his position.

By the time Holmes lost to Spinks, he was not only the lineal champion but the man in the division via 100% consensus.

Hearns may well be regarded as the man at 154 for a period in the early 80s but by no means was it a consensus decision.

In terms of Duran, I'm not saying the KO wasn't impressive, I'm saying that Duran was not necessarily regarded as one of the best fighters on the planet any more. The embarrassment versus Leonard was not yet forgotten and he had gone 3-3 in his last 6 fights and although the Hagler fight did a lot to mend the fences, it wasn't until the Barkley win that he managed to get back some of his reputation.
                My point was that Holmes was the man at Heavyweight undoubtedly but only held a portion of the title, that is a fact.
                Duran was coming off a win against Cuevas, a win against Moore and a competitive performance against Hagler. The embarrassment against Leonard isn't forgotten even now but those 3 fights I listed put him right up the top. At 50 fighters didn't knock Duran out so what Hearns did was and is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                  And your not biased lol....leonard outboxed him and that was after 3 years in retirement and being an addicted to coke and alchohol...with 1 fight in five years and naturally smaller ....and you say hagler was the man lol.....how many ATG can you name who stayed in the same division...and don't include heavyweights lol
                  Of course I'm biased. That is the basis for argument in sports. Leonard ran, watched the fight again because you obviously have just read about it from BIASED writers. Btw Kid Gavilan, Joey Maxim, Jose Torres, Tony Zale, Freddie Steele, Gene Fullmer, Nino Benvenuti, and Carlos Monzon were just a few ATG's who stayed in one division. Hagler had been in far more wars than Leonard and was 3 years older than him. Hagler was far more over the hump.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                    By a landslide?

Haha.

Keep dreaming. Duran made him look like a chump.

Hagler had Duran wrapped around his finger the whole fight. He didn't brawl with him because he was worried about his power. By the time he realized he didn't hit hard enough to hurt him it was too late. He would have knocked Duran out and we all know it just watch the tape.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
                      My point was that Holmes was the man at Heavyweight undoubtedly but only held a portion of the title, that is a fact.
                      Duran was coming off a win against Cuevas, a win against Moore and a competitive performance against Hagler. The embarrassment against Leonard isn't forgotten even now but those 3 fights I listed put him right up the top. At 50 fighters didn't knock Duran out so what Hearns did was and is impressive.
                      I'm not questioning the manner of victory I'm just saying Hearn beating Duran wasn't seen as impressive until years later, that's just a boxing fact. Plus, Hearn was a big favourite going into the fight, with his HUGE size and reach advantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X