No announcement yet.

If SRR beat Maxim.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    . I specifically said Robinson would not beat Charles but might have a chance against Marciano because of styles.
    - -Feeling infirm today?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      It'd been huge. People give SRR a bit of a moral W off of his performance as is I feel with all the talk of temp & the ref falling out, but I think he'd be even more worshipped if he'd won that fight. Kinda wonder if he'd won that would he have made a run for the HW title too.

Randomly Mike Tyson was just talking about Maxim on his latest podcast. Said he used to talk to him & Maxim went into that fight with the utmost confidence he'd win cuz SRR "was just too small for me".
      That is interesting. And it ultimately proved true.

Maxim, for his part, stuck to the script. He was much more measured and methodical. It would be easy to watch that fight and compare a guy like Ray Leonard, Hearns or Mayweather to Robinson, but a lot of their success came from being less dynamic and impromptu than Robinson, and showing measure and discipline.

I think we all want to believe that Ray would have won that rematch. I'd make him a strong favorite, but it's not a foregone conclusion he'd avenge his loss. Maxim, surely, was feeling the heat too, and he knew Ray would be the more kinetic and desperate fighter. He showed better preparation, and ring-generalship - at least it looked that way.

I'd love to know what his actual game-plan was entering the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        He was beating Maxim easily before the heat wilted him. Just shows how great Robinson was.
        Fact! And a few more people felt the heat that day now didn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Exactly sir.

Comment

Actually, after watching this fight and Walker vs. Loughran, I am actually really surprised that his reptuation didn't suffer.

I suspect a lot of it had to do w/ his later come-back. Especially because the faded Robinson entered into some epic wars w/ some gritty men. That's the kicker. If irony could kill, that would be an atomic bomb. The faded Robinson was like the comeback Sinatra. Still not the best, but that made you love him all the more. Or at least you could finally overlook his warts.

Robinson, a Middleweight, out-right lost to Maxim, s sound but unspectacular Light Heavyweight. Walker, a Welterweight, demanded the absolute best of Loughran and Sharkey, a top 3 Light Heavyweight great, and a Heavyweight champion, respectively.

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Not Maxim.

That excuse for Ray is soooo over-played. Did Maxim have an air conditioner in his corner? Was he hooked up to an IV between rounds? Did they not have weatehr forecasts in the 40's?

Robinson grew up in NY. He knows the Mid_Atlantic gets hot. In fact, even though that was an irregularly hot day, he had probably trained and competed under similar circumstances. He lost becuase of his arrogance. We actually, see him adjust early in the fight. But not enough. He continues to keep his edge by being much more kinetic and busy. He chose that plan. He might have also felt he had no other choice.

It's funny he basically built his reputation by exploiting his size against smaller men. But when the shoe was on the other foot, he couldn't make it to the final bell.

I remember when making weight, we used to lock ourselves in cars. Two or three other guys would always be on standby to come get the guy who passed out. It was stupid, but it worked. I learned a lot about myself. It actually gave me nightmares for years. But it was definitely a characted building experience. You learn to trust yourself. Think beyond your body. Not trust the hallucinations. Not fall into the temptations. I often thought I was going to die. Believe me, plenty of fighters have been through that. I bet you and other martial artists you know have done similar things. It's apart of winning. Ray didn't wanna win that night as much as Maxim did.

Look at Dempsey-Willard. Willard didn't have Maxim's craftsmanship, I consent. But the point is, Dempsey empty the chamber and reloaded several times under similar environmental conditions and won a violent, lop-sided, victory.

let's stop blaming the heat.

Comment

- -Except Robby suffered heat stroke and almost died.

That's why he took those years hiatus from the ring trying to be a tap dancing celebrity where his success was tepid, but set the stage for his greatest accolades and purses in an all time middle era upon his return.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                Actually, after watching this fight and Walker vs. Loughran, I am actually really surprised that his reptuation didn't suffer.

I suspect a lot of it had to do w/ his later come-back. Especially because the faded Robinson entered into some epic wars w/ some gritty men. That's the kicker. If irony could kill, that would be an atomic bomb. The faded Robinson was like the comeback Sinatra. Still not the best, but that made you love him all the more. Or at least you could finally overlook his warts.

Robinson, a Middleweight, out-right lost to Maxim, s sound but unspectacular Light Heavyweight. Walker, a Welterweight, demanded the absolute best of Loughran and Sharkey, a top 3 Light Heavyweight great, and a Heavyweight champion, respectively.

Not Maxim.

That excuse for Ray is soooo over-played. Did Maxim have an air conditioner in his corner? Was he hooked up to an IV between rounds? Did they not have weatehr forecasts in the 40's?

Robinson grew up in NY. He knows the Mid_Atlantic gets hot. In fact, even though that was an irregularly hot day, he had probably trained and competed under similar circumstances. He lost becuase of his arrogance. We actually, see him adjust early in the fight. But not enough. He continues to keep his edge by being much more kinetic and busy. He chose that plan. He might have also felt he had no other choice.

It's funny he basically built his reputation by exploiting his size against smaller men. But when the shoe was on the other foot, he couldn't make it to the final bell.

I remember when making weight, we used to lock ourselves in cars. Two or three other guys would always be on standby to come get the guy who passed out. It was stupid, but it worked. I learned a lot about myself. It actually gave me nightmares for years. But it was definitely a characted building experience. You learn to trust yourself. Think beyond your body. Not trust the hallucinations. Not fall into the temptations. I often thought I was going to die. Believe me, plenty of fighters have been through that. I bet you and other martial artists you know have done similar things. It's apart of winning. Ray didn't wanna win that night as much as Maxim did.

Look at Dempsey-Willard. Willard didn't have Maxim's craftsmanship, I consent. But the point is, Dempsey empty the chamber and reloaded several times under similar environmental conditions and won a violent, lop-sided, victory.

let's stop blaming the heat.
                You're such a buffoon.

This wasn't high school wrestlers playing grab ass. It was a professional boxing match with one man exchanging punches with a foe 18 pounds heavier. On one of the hottest days ever in New York City history, with high humidity from heavy rains a few days before.

And even then Ray was beating Maxim by miles.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Except Robby suffered heat stroke and almost died.

That's why he took those years hiatus from the ring trying to be a tap dancing celebrity where his success was tepid, but set the stage for his greatest accolades and purses in an all time middle era upon his return.
                  Who stuck a gun to his head and made him fight that way?

You are right, the fighters waiting for him upon his return were just right for bringing a level of drama to the division like Boxing seldom sees.

But it was more on the level of De La Hoya's career than say MOnzon or Greb's. If he had that level of opposition his comeback would have been short-lived. They were just good enough to bring out the best in Ray, but not good enough to expose him.

If golovkin fought that calibre of fighter, he'd be roasted even worse than he is today. Funny thing is, I don't remeber Golovkin ever getting dropped, ever getting backed up by a man half his size, ever allowing his fundamentals completely unravel.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    You're such a buffoon.

This wasn't high school wrestlers playing grab ass. It was a professional boxing match with one man exchanging punches with a foe 18 pounds heavier. On one of the hottest days ever in New York City history, with high humidity from heavy rains a few days before.

And even then Ray was beating Maxim by miles.
                    Show me a pro-boxer who can beat up a varsity wrestler with a winning record within 10 pounds of his weight.

if your time is valuable (i doubt it, we know you got nothing to do) maybe find me a unicorn first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                      Show me a pro-boxer who can beat up a varsity wrestler with a winning record within 10 pounds of his weight.

if your time is valuable (i doubt it, we know you got nothing to do) maybe find me a unicorn first.
                      In a boxing match? It would be easy work.

Wrestlers can be in good shape but they tend to not take strikes very well. They simply aren't accustomed to it and panic. It's hilarious to watch them curl up into a fetal position. See Brock Lesnar for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X