Collapse
No announcement yet.

If SRR beat Maxim.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would have been interesting if Ray went after Jersey Joe, and beat him. If he had won, and Marciano had lost to Walcott.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
      It would have been interesting if Ray went after Jersey Joe, and beat him. If he had won, and Marciano had lost to Walcott.
      - -Be better had I been of age then to have whooped em all and taken my rightful place in Valhalla.

Yup!

Comment

Even if Robinson fought right (i.e. a la SR Leonard), Ezzard might have just enough speed to chase him down. A little less activity and Robby would have won against Maxim handily. He was doing way more than he had to to keep Maxim off him. I still see it as a fault of Robinson's that he usually took more shots than his reflexes made necessary.

Though the Leonard/Duran II style may not have worked for Robinson against Charles, wisely applied against Marciano, it just may have yielded a surprise win for Robby. Was Marciano good at chasing? Did he really ever have to chase anyone fleet down? He came forward methodically, but not fast, leaning all the time. How would Rocky have adapted to this "new," fleet strategy, or would he have been able to?

Comment

Originally posted by RED REP View Post
          Interesting.

The way in which the Referee had to be changed in was it the 10th, amazes me the most...compare the activity of the fighters to the ref, and he still had to be taken out. SRR was a monster! Peroid.
          Wasn't just the ref needing to be changed either. Goldstein legit collapsed and had to be removed from the ring.

Comment

He was beating Maxim easily before the heat wilted him. Just shows how great Robinson was.

Comment

Robinson beating Maxim wouldn't mean much.

Greb and Walker gave up more size to beat, draw, or nearly defeat much better Light Heavyweights.

Robinson knew he had reached his ceiling. And losing to hot flashes is pretty weak. Worse than Vitali quitting on his stool due to a shoulder injury in a fight he literally would have won w/o having to do anything more than stand still.

Clearly by watching the film you see Maxim was nothing particularly special. Very sound, but not an ATG. Most of that accreditation comes from the fighters he fought and his durability. Usually he lost, albeit narrowly. Based on an honest evaluation of his record and the film, I dunno how you rank him in that division's top20. Even in his own era, whether he held the belt or not, he wasn't the best.

Hell, I am not even that impressed with Robinson's Mw competition. Who was his best win? LaMotta? Turpin? Olson? Fullmer?

I'd say Monzon's wins over griffith and valdez ALONE taking a steaming hot shyte on almost the entirety of Robinson's record. Robinson looks so stellar on film, though.

The Maxim fight is no different. People kinda forget that Maxim was more of a punching bag than a live opponent because Robinson looks so effortless and elegant racking up the rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Even if Robinson fought right (i.e. a la SR Leonard), Ezzard might have just enough speed to chase him down. A little less activity and Robby would have won against Maxim handily. He was doing way more than he had to to keep Maxim off him. I still see it as a fault of Robinson's that he usually took more shots than his reflexes made necessary.

Though the Leonard/Duran II style may not have worked for Robinson against Charles, wisely applied against Marciano, it just may have yielded a surprise win for Robby. Was Marciano good at chasing? Did he really ever have to chase anyone fleet down? He came forward methodically, but not fast, leaning all the time. How would Rocky have adapted to this "new," fleet strategy, or would he have been able to?
                Are you trying to be funny?

Have you ever Boxed?

Sometimes I wonder if there's a conspiracy here to antagonize me. (Probably deserved based on my role as "bad cop".) Because posts like this are too warped to be serious.

A guy like conn would make Charles pay for trying to set his traps. Tunney would play matador - with a broadsword instead of those wimpy little jevlins. But Robinson gets steamrolled. No way he keeps Charles off of him. Look at how Charles handled Marshall. Look at how he held scratch against Marciano. Seriously, he couldn't keep Basilio off of him, but he beats Charles!?!?

marciano vs. RObinson isn't a fight. it's an execution. Marciano gets him out of there so fast it makes the guillotine blush.

I'm sure I took the bait. So good on you for getting me going. But I can play ball, too:

How about Robinson vs. Frazier while we're at it? Obviously his stylistic flaws and questionable chin play right into Robinson's wheelhouse. Ray gets him out of there quicker than Foreman, right?

Comment

I suggest you read the post before jerking your knees around. I specifically said Robinson would not beat Charles but might have a chance against Marciano because of styles.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    I suggest you read the post before jerking your knees around. I specifically said Robinson would not beat Charles but might have a chance against Marciano because of styles.
                    if you're going to side-step, don't do it into the ropes.

You're either don't a really sloppy troll job or you're trying to sound idiotic.

you accuse me of not having read what you wrote, and then implicitly deny what you wrote:

1) you suggested ray would be competitive against charles: he wouldn't

2) suggesting Ray would be competitive in the ring against marciano (without a gun in hand) is the most moronicthing i've seen on this forum. we should throw you a parade. that's an impressive achievement.

Ray's STYLE might give marciano lots and lots of trouble, but Ray himself wouldn't be the fighter to make it work. it would have to be someone bigger than a middleweight. definitely one that doesn't suffer hot flashes.

Comment

It'd been huge. People give SRR a bit of a moral W off of his performance as is I feel with all the talk of temp & the ref falling out, but I think he'd be even more worshipped if he'd won that fight. Kinda wonder if he'd won that would he have made a run for the HW title too.

Randomly Mike Tyson was just talking about Maxim on his latest podcast. Said he used to talk to him & Maxim went into that fight with the utmost confidence he'd win cuz SRR "was just too small for me".

Comment

Working...
                      X