No announcement yet.

Knockouts that surprised you

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    not a left hook but this fight is the first that came to my mind reading your description. Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham. Graham was winning comfortably and looked a future superstar up to this point

Julian Jackson just had ridiculous power for his size
    How good was Jackson? Where does he rank p4p and in his weight class(es)? I've been meaning to watch his fights, along with about 20 others I have left to watch.

Comment

Ali of Liston, Hearns of Cuevas, Duran.
      Last edited by Panamaniac; 10-20-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

hearns Duran. I know in hindsight this was no surprise but going into the fight tommy 's ko rate dropped after breaking his hand in the benitez fight.

Comment

Ricardo Torres vs Kendall Holt II. Torres looked well on the way to stopping him in Rd 1 then bam! Knockout!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            How good was Jackson? Where does he rank p4p and in his weight class(es)? I've been meaning to watch his fights, along with about 20 others I have left to watch.
            Im not the guy to ask, but my impression is that he was very good but a step below the real top guys of his era (guys like McCallum and McClellan, no shame there obviously!)

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              hard to say.

you can make an argument the man never lost in his prime as he was clearly past his best when he fought mcclellan and imo grew significantly during his early years as champion having lost to mccallum in his first title fight very early on.

at the same time he didnt have a lot of big names on his resume, that however was clearly not his fault. nobody wanted any part of this guy in his prime, he was a killer.

his brutal punching power is well known, one thing that gets overlooked is that he had a tremendous chin in his prime. lots of boxrec historians will look at is record, note that all of his losses were within the distance and label him a weak chinned fighter. at the end of his career thats true but in his prime he had an iron jaw, much like vargas or mayorga he just relied on it too much and eventually it went. theres only so many punches you can take before you cant take a punch anymore, and the hawk exceeded his limit which is when his career crumbled.

but at his best he was very durable in addition to having one punch killing power in both hands and excellent hand speed. he was a good counter puncher, great combination puncher, tremendous body puncher and one of the very best finishers the game has ever seen. he had solid boxing skills but was one of those guys who just loved to fight and had supreme confidence in his ability to end a fight abruptly. at times he could get over aggressive and neglect his defense, but even then his punches were still well thought out, crisp, accurate and thrown in bunches.

he was badly outboxed even during his prime though (graham, norris). but always got to his opponent in the end, usually rather quickly too. its interesting whether any of the best boxers at 154 could have maintained that for the entire 12 rounds, or if any of the great punchers could get rid of him. he was special in the sense that he was always dangerous, literally. they say that about a lot of guys but its not always the case, with jackson however it most certainly was. hurt, tired, behind on points.. not only could he always end you with one shot but he always maintained the right frame of mind to set it up and land it too.

he ranks top 5 at 154 and top 10 at 160 imo. where exactly is difficult to say. you would probably have to put him towards the end, but he may have been better than that given the proper chance to prove it. but again, nobody wanted anything to do with this dude in his prime. cant really blame them..

Comment

Originally posted by Pessimistic View Post
                Ricardo Torres vs Kendall Holt II. Torres looked well on the way to stopping him in Rd 1 then bam! Knockout!
                Great call.. Both their fights were great

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                  hard to say.

you can make an argument the man never lost in his prime as he was clearly past his best when he fought mcclellan and imo grew significantly during his early years as champion having lost to mccallum in his first title fight very early on.

at the same time he didnt have a lot of big names on his resume, that however was clearly not his fault. nobody wanted any part of this guy in his prime, he was a killer.

his brutal punching power is well known, one thing that gets overlooked is that he had a tremendous chin in his prime. lots of boxrec historians will look at is record, note that all of his losses were within the distance and label him a weak chinned fighter. at the end of his career thats true but in his prime he had an iron jaw, much like vargas or mayorga he just relied on it too much and eventually it went. theres only so many punches you can take before you cant take a punch anymore, and the hawk exceeded his limit which is when his career crumbled.

but at his best he was very durable in addition to having one punch killing power in both hands and excellent hand speed. he was a good counter puncher, great combination puncher, tremendous body puncher and one of the very best finishers the game has ever seen. he had solid boxing skills but was one of those guys who just loved to fight and had supreme confidence in his ability to end a fight abruptly. at times he could get over aggressive and neglect his defense, but even then his punches were still well thought out, crisp, accurate and thrown in bunches.

he was badly outboxed even during his prime though (graham, norris). but always got to his opponent in the end, usually rather quickly too. its interesting whether any of the best boxers at 154 could have maintained that for the entire 12 rounds, or if any of the great punchers could get rid of him. he was special in the sense that he was always dangerous, literally. they say that about a lot of guys but its not always the case, with jackson however it most certainly was. hurt, tired, behind on points.. not only could he always end you with one shot but he always maintained the right frame of mind to set it up and land it too.

he ranks top 5 at 154 and top 10 at 160 imo. where exactly is difficult to say. you would probably have to put him towards the end, but he may have been better than that given the proper chance to prove it. but again, nobody wanted anything to do with this dude in his prime. cant really blame them..

Thanks man. Another one for me to add to my career set want list.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    Im not the guy to ask, but my impression is that he was very good but a step below the real top guys of his era (guys like McCallum and McClellan, no shame there obviously!)
                    I think he was on the same level. He never had the skills of McCallum/McClellan but he wasnt there for his skills, he was at that level because of his power

IMO Jackson is the hardest puncher P4P ever. Of course Foreman, Lyle or Tyson hit harder, but poundforpound, this guy was a beast like no other boxer i have seen. Seeing guys get KOed again and again with one punch, with no flashy speed...it looked as it was easy.

It is very difficult to knock guys out like that, even more at a championship level, all the freaking time. He had much less skills than Mcclellan (as it was shown twice) but even then, he always meant danger for any top level fighter of his era

Maybe his boxing skills werent as notable as McClellan or McCallum, but he is one of a kind, i never saw a guy make it look that easy to leave one guy completely out, with one punch

Comment

Originally posted by Roque_sevilla View Post
                      I think he was on the same level. He never had the skills of McCallum/McClellan but he wasnt there for his skills, he was at that level because of his power

IMO Jackson is the hardest puncher P4P ever. Of course Foreman, Lyle or Tyson hit harder, but poundforpound, this guy was a beast like no other boxer i have seen. Seeing guys get KOed again and again with one punch, with no flashy speed...it looked as it was easy.

It is very difficult to knock guys out like that, even more at a championship level, all the freaking time. He had much less skills than Mcclellan (as it was shown twice) but even then, he always meant danger for any top level fighter of his era

Maybe his boxing skills werent as notable as McClellan or McCallum, but he is one of a kind, i never saw a guy make it look that easy to leave one guy completely out, with one punch
                      Yep completely agree with you man he's the most vicious puncher I've ever seen.

It's the way in which his opponents were knocked out man ........ I can't even describe it ............ but just straight awe and appreciation from me.

Comment

Working...
                      X