Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Monzon get a pass and Valero does not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Not really, it's not sick it's just correct, we're here to view them as boxers, does anyone really give a **** what boxers personal life is like ?, their job is to deal punishment and receive it for our entertainment, they aren't meant too be some kind of role models.

He doesn't get any kind of ''pass'' at all because no one rates boxers on how kind they are, this isn't some kind of Dad Of The Year competition.
    Ali, who is probably the most popular and well-loved boxer of all time, was a complete, unadulterated a$$hole while he was an active competitor.

Comment

I have to disagree that Ali was "well-loved"! Ali was the most hated boxer of the 60's and only after his stand against the "political war" was he understood was he accepted!
      He was controversial and twisted realities to suit his needs. He was second coming of a "heel in boxing" (J. Johnson) that people "loved to hate"! He was a womanizer but boxers were known for that throughout the era's!
      Only after the Thrilla in Manila" was he accepted by the masses.
      His outrageous personality allowed him to have news coverage outside the sports realm so he became bigger than the sport.
      At one time a picture of Ali's face was the most recognized face in the world!
      People from the four corners of our globe knew who he was, to be the most recognized man in the world and be from close to poverty level from the south in the USA is incredible.
      Ali gave millions away to charities and organized the release of prisoners of war without public knowledge. He knew his controversial character allowed him access to publications so he used it to his gain, very shrewd fellow.
      For a brief time in the early 80's I worked for Ali Productions but bowed out after I saw people taking advantage of the business.

I didn't care for Clay when he came in!
      Didn't like Ali at first either.
      I always respected his ability, he was a heavyweight Sugar Ray.
      Now that its part of history and not just a small time capsule, he was the
      Greatest!
      Ray Corso.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        I have to disagree that Ali was "well-loved"! Ali was the most hated boxer of the 60's and only after his stand against the "political war" was he understood was he accepted!
        He was controversial and twisted realities to suit his needs. He was second coming of a "heel in boxing" (J. Johnson) that people "loved to hate"! He was a womanizer but boxers were known for that throughout the era's!
        His outrageous personality allowed him to have news coverage outside the sports realm so he became bigger than the sport.
        People from the four corners of our globe knew who he was, to be the most recognized man in the world and be from close to poverty level from the south in the USA is incredible.
        Ali gave millions away to charities and organized the release of prisoners of war without public knowledge. He knew his controversial character allowed him access to publications so he used it to his gain, very shrewd fellow.
        For a brief time in the early 80's I worked for Ali Productions but bowed out after I saw people taking advantage of the business.

Greatest!
        Ray Corso.
        It's fair to say that when the 70s came around people started to come around to him. They liked him more when he finally took that first loss to Frazier. Yeah, in the 60s he definitely was hated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

Greatest!
          Ray Corso.
          I've always read that he was the crowd favorite in the Fight of the Century.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronsky View Post
            And that's so true. I don't know why so much emphasis is placed on their personal lives where all I'm interested in is how they perform in the ring. If it wasn't for boxing I wouldn't know or care who they were.
            Because a lot of people are naturally curious when a fighter, or anyone really, becomes well known. People want to know what they are like at home or outside of the ring. That's why reality shows are so popular. I believe there were two boxing reality shows in the early 2000s. I remember one called The Contender that Sugar Ray Leonard was involved in. Even the UFC has The Ultimate Fighter, a show which actually allowed the owners of the promotion to finally start turning a profit and kept them from selling it after the absolute war in the finals of that tournament.

So in a nutshell, because it gets ratings, which makes more money for promoters, fighters, managers, trainers, etc via a higher profile, bigger fights and makes money for TV networks. And some people are just crazy voyeurs and love to see famous people in trouble in the press or a rags to riches or comeback story/fall from grace.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              I have respect for a lot of guys as fighters that I have zero respect for as humans.
              Exactly. And Wladimir Klitschko might be an example of the opposite, someone who is respected personally but often disliked as a fighter.

Comment

I like Wlad, but only because he's dominant and sometimes can still get a stoppage and put a hurting on people. At 38, he probably only has a few good years left though.
                Last edited by Anthony342; 07-07-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronsky View Post
                  The sum of their work is really the difference then? That's too bad. Like you said....at the end of the day they were terrible human beings but you get more respect if your fight career is more impressive. That's sick.
                  Your really oversimplifying things a bit.... The fact of the matter is that they both did something that was reprehensible.... we hardly know all the circumstances. Relationships are complicated. They defy a simple black and white category. A lot of athletes have problems with violence and domestic issues.

Comment

I respect what Monzon did in boxing. I have no respect for Valero.

Comment

No one gives a pass to monzon for his domestic issues..

Monzon was a great fighter and proven.. Valero looked like an uber talent, but never proved himself..
                      They are on completely different levels as fighters, monzon a legit atg, Valero a what might have been..

Comment

Working...
                      X