Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Monzon get a pass and Valero does not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Monzon get a pass and Valero does not?

For the record, I am a fan of both fighters. Now I'm not saying Monzon isn't looked down on either for the murder of a mistress and many women beatings he dealt out but why is he respected more than Valero when essentially they are one and the same? Difference being that Monzon did it to many women where as Valero only to one. Eager to hear the opinions on this matter. Decided to post in the history section because here we can actually have a discussion as opposed to NSB, where it's straight up trolling and arguing without discussion.

I don't think anyone gives either guy a pass for their crimes. Both were scumbags; however, Monzon was undeniably an all-time great fighter... Valero obviously wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      I don't think anyone gives either guy a pass for their crimes. Both were scumbags; however, Monzon was undeniably an all-time great fighter... Valero obviously wasn't.
      The sum of their work is really the difference then? That's too bad. Like you said....at the end of the day they were terrible human beings but you get more respect if your fight career is more impressive. That's sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronsky View Post
        The sum of their work is really the difference then? That's too bad. Like you said....at the end of the day they were terrible human beings but you get more respect if your fight career is more impressive. That's sick.
        I have respect for a lot of guys as fighters that I have zero respect for as humans.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          Agree here!!

Comment

Valero gets hilariously over-rated. Monzon earned the right to be rated as high as he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronsky View Post
              Not really, it's not sick it's just correct, we're here to view them as boxers, does anyone really give a **** what boxers personal life is like ?, their job is to deal punishment and receive it for our entertainment, they aren't meant too be some kind of role models.

He doesn't get any kind of ''pass'' at all because no one rates boxers on how kind they are, this isn't some kind of Dad Of The Year competition.

Comment

No one gets a pass, on a boxing forum his boxing skills are praised & discussed.
                If this was a human forum he would be despised!

Pro boxers are flawed people in many many cases! Normal folks
                don't put their lives on the line by combat! They accept the stress and trauma as
                normal procedure and that's not a normal outlook! I find that a huge percentage of the times boxers are involved in causing damage to other people they are also provoked above and beyond what we would think as normal provocation. There's a "dare" challenge that often comes to pro fighters from certain types of folks and it comes with the consequences of using legal weapons (hands) to defend ones self.
                I've been in court more than a few times over 50 years to testify how and why things get out of hand when pro fighters engage in defense and/or offense when damaging others.

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  No one gets a pass, on a boxing forum his boxing skills are praised & discussed.
                  If this was a human forum he would be despised!

Pro boxers are flawed people in many many cases! Normal folks
                  don't put their lives on the line by combat! They accept the stress and trauma as
                  normal procedure and that's not a normal outlook! I find that a huge percentage of the times boxers are involved in causing damage to other people they are also provoked above and beyond what we would think as normal provocation. There's a "dare" challenge that often comes to pro fighters from certain types of folks and it comes with the consequences of using legal weapons (hands) to defend ones self.
                  I've been in court more than a few times over 50 years to testify how and why things get out of hand when pro fighters engage in defense and/or offense when damaging others.

Ray.
                  Agreed, hence why I was eager to hear answers towards this question because rather than judging them simply as fighters they get judged by their personal lives as well, which I find ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    Not really, it's not sick it's just correct, we're here to view them as boxers, does anyone really give a **** what boxers personal life is like ?, their job is to deal punishment and receive it for our entertainment, they aren't meant too be some kind of role models.

He doesn't get any kind of ''pass'' at all because no one rates boxers on how kind they are, this isn't some kind of Dad Of The Year competition.

And that's so true. I don't know why so much emphasis is placed on their personal lives where all I'm interested in is how they perform in the ring. If it wasn't for boxing I wouldn't know or care who they were.

Comment

Working...
                    X