Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Big Fight were you totally wrong on..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I think weight definitely played a part. Moving up a whole 10 lbs isn't usually easy.

Hopkins still would have beat him at 160 but the jump in weight certainly didn't help.
    It wasn't quite 10 lbs, as Pavlik had beaten Taylor at a catchweight earlier that same year.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Holyfield-Tyson 1 I didn't see coming at all. Mainly because Holyfield had not looked good going into that fight.
      Holyfield-tyson was my greatest pick ever,, I was a huge holyfield fan, and always believed that holyfield would beat him when they met.. In 89, 90, 91, 92, 96,97 2004, 2014, whenever they fought, i would always pick holyfield..Just mentally tougher, and alittle better at sticking to game plans, and down the stretch i would always pick him to beat up tyson after 6 or 7 rounds... Me and about 20 other guys watched the first fight live, and me and one other guy picked holyfield to win, and we made simple wagers on it, and i won a few hundred bucks, By far my greatest pick

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      I can quickly think of three fights that went the distance that I knew after the first round that I totally blew it:

Calzaghe-Lacy
      Hopkins-Pavlik
      Barrera-Hamed

All three were cases of missing out on who clearly had the better fundamentals and technique.
      I could add winky-tito to that list, I thought tito would outwork him and winky would jst shell up and lose a decision, but when i saw winky's jab that first round, I said, "its over, winky is going to drag him" and that was exactly what happened.. Totally wrong on that one

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Your dad called that one? I am impressed! Seriously NOBODY I knew called that one. I called the Michael Moore victory (first fight) over Holly and I thought I was edgar ****ing Case.... I actually was cringing thinking about what parts of Holly would wind up where when Tyson was finished....The only thing I wasn't worried about was Tyson eating Holly's kids....way too many to do that!

But at the time of that fight I worked with a bunch of die hard boxing fans in new York city...We would pirate the fights at my place haha...And NOBODY thought Holly had a chance in hell.
      I called tyson-holyfield, but totally thought gatti would take a beating from floyd and then gatti would catch him in the 9th for a ko win,,,, I was an idiot

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
      Tyson/Holyfield
      Jones Jr/Tarver II

There's is no way in heck I saw Pacquiao/Marquez 4 ending in a KO. So I was wrong and shocked all in one.
      Yes JMM and manny 4 was very shocking,,, I said both guys would come roided up to finish this series, and jmm shocked the world by not only beating him, but by putting manny to sleep,,,, Jaw-dropping

Bunch of great replies,, keep them coming

Comment

Another one that nobody has mentioned and i know there are a bunch of you out there..

Toney beating and ko'ing roy late in their fight in 94...

I know that some of you guys were just like me who thought toney would figure this roy kid out after about 6 rounds and ko him or win on points,,,,

I dont know many people who thought roy would dominate the way he did

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          We all make predictions when it comes to fights, sometimes were right and sometimes were wrong, but what is the one major fight that you were totally wrong about....

Mine would have to be the 2 SRL comebacks,, i thought he would come out on top vs norris and camacho,,, totally wiffed on those
          Recently, Froch v Groves instantly comes to mind, I still got the result right but in no way did I believe Groves would look so good for so long.

Going back a while, I though Tyson would stop Holy, expected Oscar to outpoint Hopkins and thought PWill would beat Martinez in the rematch.

Comment

I remember stating that for Pacquiao vs Marquez IV that I wasn't sure how it would end, but it'd either go to the scorecards or Pacquiao would get the stoppage. The result I had never fathomed was the one that happened.

Comment

I called Holyfield-Tyson as well, but was wrong on Tyson-Douglas.

Comment

!

Too many to mention, some of them I had the legit excuse of being young fan who was still doing his school homework...but some were just plain, dumb wrong. Most of them involved Eubank.

Collins v Eubank 1......totally underestimated SC's top-flight experience and his overall intelligence when it came tactics. Lazily wrote him off as a slugger. Collins turned the trick again just to show that it was no fluke.

Eubank v Wharton....heart over head this time. Big Wharton fan and was convinced his awesome power would finish Eubank. But Eubank too mature, matched Wharton for strength and sagely decides not to share Bomb Alley with Henry who was widely believed to be a big hitter than Benn.

Bruno v McCall.....seem to remember supporting the view that a fourth world title shot was undeserved, Bruno was over-the-hill and that it could be deeply embarassing for Frank. Got that one dead wrong, WBC belt for FB!

Comment

Tyson vs Holyfield
                  Donair vs Rigondeaux
                  Broner vs Maidana
                  Lara vs Williams(even though people feel Lara was robbed it still went to Williams)
                  McClellan vs Benn (this one still hurts til this day)

i'm pretty sure a few others but this is just off the top of my head

Comment

Marquez/Bradley. I expected Juan to beat the living hell out of him. Changed my whole opinion on Tim Bradley.

Also pretty much expected Broner/Maidana to be Adrien holding and avoiding exchanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                      Tyson vs Holyfield
                      Donair vs Rigondeaux
                      Broner vs Maidana
                      Lara vs Williams(even though people feel Lara was robbed it still went to Williams)
                      McClellan vs Benn (this one still hurts til this day)

i'm pretty sure a few others but this is just off the top of my head
                      If you picked Lara over Paul Williams you should feel good about it. That was a robbery. I've sure never felt I made a bad pick when I had Santa Cruz over Casamayor, one of the worst decisions ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X