Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most skilled fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James "Buddy" Mcgirt He did have an all time great chin no dominating speed above average power

Efrin Torres maybe his power was top tier but that is it
    Masao Obha above average chin average speed great power but his footwork and his ability to make his feints really work for him (his opponents never knew what punches were really coming and were always off balance if you include his heart maybe he would not meet the criteria
    George Benton had an all time great chin maybe if you considered his defense to be on accout of his reflexes then he would not qualify but I tend to see his defense as a result of ring knowledge and footwork

Sweet Pea was very technically sound but was also incredibly gifted physically thats what makes an all time great but certainly does not make the criteria here its hard to find an atribute that he is not only above average but great

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      mayweahter is a highly schooled boxer with a finely tuned style, but he has a slew of gifts. he is lightning fast of hand and upper body, and in his youth his feet were some of the best. his reflexes, as you alluded to, are some of the best you will ever see. instincts in boxing are learned / taught and drilled, but the ability of the mind to react quickly is something with which you are born.
      That is true....Ted Williams was once asked what he saw when a pitch came his way and he replied "a grapfruit."

Its hard to measure pure reaction time, generally speaking. We know that fighters like Ali and Jones had incredible reactions...I think Mayweather certianly is above the norm for a sample of professional boxers, but when it comes to elite fighters? guys like Sugar Ray (both Sugar Rays haha) how would his reaction time compare? Not so sure it would be above average when compared to fellow elites is all I am saying. Just hard to measure. But yes if there was one gift I would give Mayweather that could not be trained it would be reflexes/reaction time.

Comment

Working...
      X